LGBT characters in Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimal Rodimus, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaleb Hart

Kaleb Hart Walking, talking, rearranging furniture

Nova Storm was another gender-swapped cyberverse character, and I believe the writers stated at some point that Acidstorm tended to purposely switch body types.

2. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

Kissprimitiveform.jpg

Listen up kids all across the land, take it from me, Transformers just don't understand...

3. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    I'd say that we also need some Q representation along with L, G, B, and T, but Starscream hogs pretty much all of that. No sarcasm. Also, I'm a Q myself, I'm allowed to say that. :^)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Eh...Personally I don't really count Nova Storm as genderswapped, on account that Nova Storm wasn't even really a character before Cyberverse. The Rainmaker went completely unnamed until 2015, and other than the one episode appearance in G1, has no relevant fiction. Cyberverse is the first time the name is even used mainstream, and IDW2's Nova Storm is supposedly also female.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But you don't have any statistics. You'd need to cite a source for it to be a statistic. You're just guessing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KJ_81

KJ_81 The Fourth Datsun Brother

With due respect, our points aren't the same at all. Your point seems to be that TF fans are straight white males, thus they wouldn't want gay exposure, while my point is simply that I'm not interested in any kind of romance at all, it's just not a subject that seems right for me in this franchise, but I hope it's being addressed and taught in the children's media. To me, those are wildly different viewpoints.

Superman's colours are red, blue, and yellow though?

7. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

Hey, king troll is back! (Hooray..) Whatevs king troll, then it's an educated guess, using general population statistics and practical assumptions from years of observation. Prove me wrong or go away. Oh you can't prove me wrong b/c I'm expressing an opinion. Guess you'll just take a piece of one of my posts and make up some stuff to go along with it and pretend that you made a logical argument. I'm not wrong just because you want me to be.

That's really not my main point...

"My only point ever was,
    I personally don't care to see Transformers go that direction. I like them as mechanical alien beings to whom biological concepts are foreign. That's why it's funny when Ratchet thinks a human is "leaking fluid" when they cry, ect."

The fact that MOST (not all, most) TF fans are most likely straight white males was a separate piece touching on marketability. You are certainly free to disagree.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    You need a hand moving those goalposts? I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself. Make sure to lift with your legs.

I mean, it's either cold, hard facts in which case provide a source, or it's your opinion and we can judge you for it. You're trying to argue it both ways.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Superman Color Pallet.PNG

8c4835e1a70d176cfc763828744885ab.jpg
    Superman's skin tone is apart of his color pallet. Same with his black hair.

10. KJ_81

o_O Oooookay. Well, even if we include his skin, it isn't white. Yes, we call Caucasian skin white, but it's not. It's a peachy colour. I don't know the exact pantone used for what looks like Super Friends, but it sure as hell is nowhere near white.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, even granting the skin tone as part of the color scheme - it's a color Optimus Prime doesn't have. Which was the original point.

• Like Like x 2
  12. KJ_81

I'm in tears

13. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this is a case where Dolza is twisting facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Look, I don't even remember the original point. You brought this post up like 4 months without even giving me the rest of the context of what I wrote. So thanks for that.

15. KJ_81

C'mon mate, don't blame your ridiculous answer on me. Thanks though, it really did make my day. If you want your whole post, it was on page 14. The rest was irrelevant to what I wanted to correct, which was the colour scheme, so I snipped it, for everybodys' convenience.

16. Dolza_Khyron

Except mine, apparently.

17. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

How about "pointing out marketing & profitability strategies."

There I fixed it, is that better?

You're the worst kind of troll dude, you come out of nowhere, seize on one little word or phrase that might not have been exact, without recognizing someone's overall point. You try to make it about that one thing while in the mean time obscuring whatever was being said before that to the point that you aren't even arguing or discussing anything else anymore. You demand sources while providing none yourself then assume your sham victory while declaring falsehoods.

What exactly am I trying to argue both ways?
    And what exactly do you disagree with? You don't actually say.
    You disagree with my opinion that the addition of LGBT elements into transformers is unnecessary? OK. You disagree that it could potentially be a bad marketing strategy to introduce those elements? OK. So what? You disagree that most TF fans are probably on the same page? Fine.
    If I'm so wrong where are all these characters everyone is clamoring for? The market will always have the final say.
    Personally, I think you're disagreeing just to disagree. Whatever makes you feel important dude. Calvin and Hobbs guy everyone! Give him a round of applause!

download.jpeg
    Hey, this guy doesn't think transforming buildings are a good marketing strategy!
    Go get him! Explain to him how buildings deserve inclusion too! And make sure he has documented proof that the majority of people agree it's no fun playing with a building! Cite your sources Tom Hanks!

18. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    No, because it's still not based in anything other than your opinion. You don't have any data. You can't form a coherent strategy on your gut feeling.

I'm just trying to get you to have a coherent conversation. Have I misrepresented you? Just because you don't like being questioned doesn't make me a troll. You said you didn't want to be judged for the strategy you were offering up and then when it was pointed out your strategy wasn't based on anything, you said you couldn't be proven wrong because it's just your opinion. But if it's your opinion you can be judged for it, right?

See above.

Yeah, I didn't say I disagreed with anything. I just pointed out your "strategies" aren't based on anything concrete. My opinion on the matter isn't relevant to pointing out your own failure to support your position.

Awesome. So noted.

Have you read the IDW books? I mean, for starters.

I'm just engaging in a conversation. Sorry you can't handle being questioned.

Stop it, you're too kind.

He doesn't need to cite sources. He just said that a robot turning into a building wasn't fun. See, even a child in a man's body knows not to pretend his opinion is data driven when it isn't.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ivypool

Ivypool Well-Known Member

I just can’t bring myself to have very strong opinions either way.

If a writer wants to explore alien robot romance, there’s a fairly high chance it’s gonna end up homosexual because cybertronians seem to have a 1/12 sex ratio and no concept of copulation. Especially if you’re gonna have something like entire planets with a monogendered population, in which case it’s gonna be hard to contrive in any straight couples.

If we’re talking about IDW1 specifically, I personally think it’s fascinating how Mtmte/LL included three different examples of “gay couple where one dies, is mourned, and is then brought back through soft sci-fi shenanigans.” A bizarrely specific trope that started off really strong with Chromedome and Rewind and then got progressively more convoluted with Anode and Lug and then by the time it happened to Tailgate I just couldn’t believe the frequency at which this was happening.

oh, I guess op was talking about human characters, uhh, idk. 70% of the time human characters are just there for flavoring. I don’t think anybody cares what they’re getting up to.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kaleb Hart

Kaleb Hart Walking, talking, rearranging furniture

I don't think Tailgate actually died in LL, if I'm not mistaken he was teleported and healed by the Omega Sentinels and due to the current arc was just believed to be dead.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.