LG-EX Big Powered Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shin Densetsu, Sep 27, 2018.

1. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

A robot that transforms into a jet and a tank when he solely transformed into a jet is a fairly big departure, and one I'd argue, will cause Takara to give such a figure a pass. Lio convoy still transforms into a mechanical lion, despite differences in appearance, so I daresay it isn't that drastic a change. Same goes for Motormaster becoming a semi truck when he previously included a trailer, or Fireflight becoming a Harrier jump jet when he previously transformed into a F-4 Phantom II. Those characters still retained what comes to mind when people conceptualize what they transform into.

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sure. But one of those IS from the most recent modern line. I know you're basing this on the idea of getting rid of the tank mode. But, I think if you're going that direction, TT would be better served either waiting for a more appropriate mold that wouldn't entail wholesale jettisoning the legs off of a figure and somehow making new legs that somehow work with a torso unit that are now connected to the torso where they weren't before. If you're leaping down that rabbit hole, TT would be better served taking the CW Jetfire/Seeker mold and simply adding a Titanmaster feature to him.

But all that underscores my point. Why bother when most of the Japanese fans imported Black Shadow and most of the international fans already bought one who wanted one? That's a lot of effort with potentially little to gain...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    you are impossible dude, go ahead and keep your takara blinders, im done with this conversation

• Like Like x 3
  4. WereDragon EX

Retooling Jetfire into a more faithful version of Sky Shadow (and including a Headmaster gimmick for line-wide unity if need be) was actually what I wanted all along and even said so before. To be frank, I'm not concerned what form said figure would have taken, so long as it was faithful to G1 Sky Shadow as a jet. I just believed that Jetfire was the most readily appropriate thing to retool into Sky Shadow rather than Overlord (technically Sky Shadow is a pretool of Overlord, but I digress).

Does Takara know that most Japanese fans imported Hasbro's Sky Shadow in the first place? Where's the evidence that they did anyway? I couldn't find anything that suggests such.

5. WereDragon EX

Actually, I'm quite reasonable in my points. I don't actually have "Takara blinders", though you do have ad hominem attacks.

6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    so how about that big powered? anyone want to take a guess at what kind of upgrades we might see for them?

• Like Like x 2
  7. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yes, Japan lives in a vacuum and is incapable of importing toys. Did you know that planes and ships can only fly east to west? And Japan only communicates in Shodo calligraphy? :rolleyes: 

8. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dai Atlas hollow leg fillers. And a Z-shaped boomerang.

• Like Like x 5
  9. WereDragon EX

I never said anything along the lines that Japan was incapable of importing toys, I'm more looking for anything that says that enough people imported Hasbro's Sky Shadow to make a Japanese release of the character in any form unprofitable. The point about planes, ships, and calligraphy is rather irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

10. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Those numbers aren't available and you know it. But the fact that fans are very capable of it and had every opportunity to do so - coupled with the fact that TT so far hasn't bothered with Black Shadow anyway - seems to be more indicative that yes, TT is aware that fans probably DID import the figure.

11. WereDragon EX

No, actually, I don't "know" it. Fans are very capable of importing whatever they want, yet Takara still makes stuff anyway (even though importation must have still cut away at Takara's bottom line), so in and of itself, I don't see that reasoning as a good explanation for Takara passing on certain Hasbro initiated things. I haven't seen any tangible proof that would suggest that Takara producing a Sky Shadow is unprofitable over explanations like not having a budget to do it or a release schedule not allowing it.

12. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A stylized Z sword that isn't made out of his actual wing parts might be a good 3P upgrade.

• Like Like x 6
  13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Like I said, it's not impossible that they would shoot themselves in the foot by releasing a low order mail-away of a figure Japanese fans probalb y already own - but it's highly improbable when there are so many other candidates that would make money in their slot schedule (Metrotitan anyone? Galaxy Shuttle from Astrotrain?). In the meantime, feel free to live in Derangement Land.

I'm done derailing the thread with this. Geez, and I call myself Wishful Thinking...

14. WereDragon EX

Japanese fans probably already own Hasbro versions of TR figures, so why would Takara release those? They are shooting themselves in the foot by doing that in a similar vein. Clearly, Takara thinks their versions of those figures will "make money", so same can be said for a G1 faithful Sky Shadow. In the meantime, to clear up my residency status, I don't live in Derangement Land. But hey, if you want to claim residency there, that's your prerogative.

15. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i can also imagine a head replacement like sixshot (and i believe Overlord) got as well as some parts to fill the possible void between Dai's tank/jet combined mode, if Sky shadow/Overlord's mold is anything to go by (unless i've been combining them wrong as well....)

• Like Like x 1
  16. WereDragon EX

If you are done with a conversation, then don't send garbage like back alley junk mail to me. Didn't bother to read it at all. As far as I'm concerned, you did nothing substantive to change my mind on the matter.

17. WereDragon EX

Fans globally had a chance to get a lot of Hasbro initiated figures that would later turn out exclusive to Hasbro. I agree with your point on Devastator, it shows that Takara is willing to make retools to make a figure more in line with its G1 portrayal and add extra features and articulation the Hasbro version didn't have. A more divergent example of this would be UW Computron of course. I think a G1 accurate Sky Shadow is not out of the realm of possibility, though, if Takara can be inclined to "un-cancel" the Legends line to facilitate it, just like they have done with Big Powered.

18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    None of us have those numbers available and none of us know for sure why Takara didn't release Black Shadow in the LG line. Can they in the future retooled? Yes, they've done stuff like that before. Have they always? No. At this point it's just repetition of what we already know, what we don't know is if Takara will eventually release a retooled Black Shadow. The fact is, they can. What's not known is if they will. My opinion that it was a bigger gamble to make Big Powered than new legs for Black Shadow will never change. That's a Takara led initiative catered primarily to their market, whether overseas fans order it or not doesn't change that, otherwise Hasbro would've brought this over also(and who knows, maybe they will).

I am not complaining that a Big Powered set is being made. I'm the opposite, I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised in the age of brand unification. All I have been trying to say this entire time is that Black Shadow with accurate legs that don't turn into a tank is possible.

If Takara had released leader Black Shadow in the LG line already, my opinion would be different. Just as Japanese fans have opportunity to buy overseas releases, fans overseas are able to buy Hasbro releases as well. Yet did they?

Again, can an accurate Black Shadow be made? Maybe, especially since Takara hasn't released a leader class Black Shadow. Again, had it been released in the LG line already, I wouldn't be here saying it's actually possible.

Just as much as you think Takara held off due to a Hasbro one being available, I think Takara held off for a more accurate one down the line. Is either one of us right in that respect? That remains to be seen.

I never would've imagined in the age of brand unification that we'd get something as unique as a Big Powered set. I thought those days were possibly over with brand unification and even before that I never would've expected a modern Big Powered by Takara. Yet here we are.

Takara has shown they aren't beyond heavy retools so given the opportunity, I don't think they'd pass up a shot at an easier retool.

They didn't really cancel the LG line. They did say it would continue but outside of the remaining 2 Autobot Monsterbots, we hadn't heard anything for a long time until Big Powered was revealed.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Big Powered is cool.

...Also I think we should stop talking about Black Shadow now.

• Like Like x 11
  20. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I think that it's a miracle that we are talking about new releases for super obscure originally-Japanese-only characters.

• Like Like x 6