Let's talk about...Transformers Armada

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Nov 3, 2008.

1. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

I liked Armada, the characters each got a fair amount of screen time as aposed to Energon and Cybertron where you had 30 unknown unexplained regular cast Autobots. The storyline was pretty decent I really liked the whole Wheeljack revenge issue and Starscreams honor story.

2. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    The sequel hook that showed viewers "If you thought Armada was good, then check out eventual sucky sequel. It's like Armada was like Tim Burton's first Batman film and the ending hooked this series to Energon which was like Batman and Robin. I wish they went Armada as its own and Cybertron by itself and then showed another of the better Japanese series, not boring Energon.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I was a little kid when "First Encounter" first apeared on then-decent Cartoon Network, and I thought it was awesome. Most of my early TF toys, my first one being Hot Shot included, come from this line. I like mini-cons too, as they are like what Micromasters tried to be back in the late 80's but wern't, plus it gave the Go-Bot good guy leader's name, Leader-1, to the mini-con that was Megatron's slave more or less. Plus the line overall paid homage to the *masters (Sideways and Overload were headmasters, Leader-1 and Over-Run had secondary targetmaster modes, and I guess you could count Thrust and his mini-con as powermasters with their alt-mode gimmick...)

Then they tacked on Energon, and so the later two thirds of the UT that was absolute animated garbage began. I can't fault some of the Energon toys, especialy the Wheeljack, Prowl, and Megatron figures, as they were better than most of the line's crap.

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Wheeljack was one of my fav character from that series

5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Wow, you're not very old are you? When I was a little kid, there was this country called "Soviet Union"!

As a matter of fact, I was born the same year as Transformers...1984 :D 

It's kinda funny really, my first memories of Transformers involve the typeface used on "Transformers" in the late 80's/early 90's, classics packaging and early G2 toys...

6. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Armada comic >>> Armada anime

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Here's the final battle on up to the end of the series. Are you talking about where they show Unicron at the very end? You shouldn't hate such a good ending because of something as minor as that. Just enjoy the rest of it.
    YouTube - Transformers Armada Optimus Prime vs Galvatron Final Battle

8. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

It has it's negative's, but it was the first series I watched all the time, and I love Armada, but I agree that Energon was a terrible sequel to a good series.

9. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I didnt like it at all at first and skipped about a third of the series, then for some reason started watching it and got really hooked! I used to look forward to getting home from work and watching it on sky 1 every evening. I thought the characters all got a decent amount of character development compared to alot of series, the animation got better at the end and the story was pretty epic. I liked that it took the time to let us just watch characters talking rather than it having to be non stop fighting like Energon and Cybertron. Id rather have the hit and miss animation of Armada than the crappy CGI of Energon and Cybertron.

10. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

the only characters i liked were Tidlewave, Thrust, Sideways and Wheeljack

11. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I never cared to watch any of the trilogy when it first aired, but caught almost all of it online. My GF likes Armada because it's the first TF series she ever really watched, so wanted me to experience it for myself. Honestly, I can't really think of anything I liked about it, expecially Armada, besides the final fight scene with Prime and GalvMegatron. Besides Armada's sketchy animation and annoying human factor, the rest of the series (the CGI stuff) seemed like nothing more than 30-minute commercials. Sure, some cartoons are toy-based, but there's a difference between a show based on toys and using a show to sell a new gimmick (powerlinking, to me, is pointless and overused).

Besides the issues I have with the series, most of the toys don't appeal to me in the least. The clear neon plastic, gaudy colors, lack of articulation and boxyness just don't work for me. I own a few just for their names, and find them to be the worst of my collection (Armada SS is just plain terrible).

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Armada's okay to watch whenever you want to laugh at something that's stupid, but it's not my absolute favorite. Of all the series, I prefer G1 and Animated over anything else.

13. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still think Armada has some fantastic character designs, they just ended up sucking when they were turned into toys with bad articulation.
    I like Minicons, but the whole "OMG must collect them for POWAH" thing got boring.

As for the cartoon most of it was awful, I remember listening to some of the lines and thinking "WTF that makes no sense!". Gradually gets better towards the end though and Prime VS Galvatron = win.

As I said my fave part of Armada was probably the character designs.

14. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Loved it when I was 10, it's what got me into the hobby. If I watched Armada now it would probably make me laugh, but it's got a special place in my heart.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Megatron versus Optimus in the last episodes and Starscream´s arc were the only good things in this series.

16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I think the Dreamwave Armada comics were quite good, especially World's Collide and the MTMTE series. Love Overload and Predacon's profiles.

The definitive Armada media for me was the PS2 game. Even if I wasn't a TF fan, it was a great game by any means. The cut scenes were beautiful, that probe in the Antarctic really reminded me of the opening of Empire Strikes Back. Also liked Red Alert's portrayal. Reminded me of G1 Prowl.

Not since Metroplex UK comic debut have I been in awe of a giant Transformer until I played the Tidal Wave level. Would love to see something like that in TF2.

If you only play one computer game in your life, it has to be this one.

As with Classics and the Movie line, the Decepticons were my favourite Armada toys. Megatron, Demolisher and the seekers were awesome.

Though I am fond of deluxe Prime, Powerlinx Jetfire and Overload. And yes, I loved Sideswipe. My only quibble was that I'd have liked him to be a basic, but I say that about all recent TF cars. Would even settle for a Revoltech non-transforming version.

17. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Armada was an awesome sereis, but then again it was the one that brought me into the fandom. I loved the character & design of Sideways, and Tidal Wave was awesome.

18. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    I remember the day Toonami aired the first episode as a movie. It was pretty cool, but for me my favorite thing was hearing Kaye and Chalk reading as Prime and Megs. The series went on, it got boring.

Enter the Unicron Battles. Now the show was getting good. Starscream in this series is up there as one of the most developed transformers ever. His death was amazing. Then Unicron himself...I was amazed that he finally came back into play.

Over all a decent beginning, mediocre if not pathetic middle, and a brilliant ending. I'd say this ranks with BM, right after G1 Animated and BW.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Armada gets a lot of unfair flack from adult nerd fans, many of whom were unprepared for a more kid-targeted toyline and cartoon series compared to the maturity of the previous Beast Wars and Beast Machines fiction. The fact of the matter is Armada was amazingly successful in it's target audience, and remains one of the most successful Transformers series, ever.

Unfortunately, a lot of crazy, insane people continue to harbour resentment against Armada and in particular then-lead designer Aaron Archer for what they perceived to be the dumbing down of Transformers, even though without Armada's success to build upon, Transformers wouldn't be as strong as it is now.

Watch episode 23, Rebellion.

Actually, everybody do it. It's one of the best episodes of Armada and has a great speech by Megatron at the end.

Billy was the tall one who did nothing. Fred was the fat kid who ate stuff.

It was pointed out at the time that Armada Megatron actually had the longest winning streak of all the cartoon Megatrons at the time, racking up several victories in succession.

But... they are toy commercials. All Transformers fiction are commercials or advertisements.

20. SuperMegs

SuperMegs Active Member

I barely remember Armada but I know I used to watch it on CN back in the day. I remember actually being excited about it at first. 0_o;

Well, I've been watching a few episodes recently. Mostly backwards, starting with the end ones because what I remember most about the show was the epic battle between Megatron/Galvatron and Optimus Prime. I recalled it being awesome...and it still was when I re watched it. :) 

Other than that, the kids voices burn my ears. God, I never realized why people were ranting on them so much until I actually heard them again...