Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I need that Impulse Sword kit. Being a kitbasher, i don't feel i will have any trouble with Resin kits, but then again, you never know.

Also:
    I happen to have family in HK, and i know for sure there is no Mong Kong MTR Station. The closest thing to it is Mong Kok MTR Station. Makes me wonder about their credibility.

Also, anyone know how they are on shipping? They have some good stuff on there for good prices, but i don't want to get ripped off with shipping (heck, i might have my family hold it for me until next time i go back on holiday, like how my Aunt has my PG Red Astray and PG 00 right now).

2. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

So i tried something different, and did a repaint on a sd zeta plus. Now in c1 colors. ^_^ Based off of:
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Still needs paneling done.

3. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Their prices seem way too good to be true, I'd quite like the heavyarms but Bandai will probably do that one soonish.

Interested to see what the 00 MG is, I'd be surprised if it's not O Raiser or Quanta but then I said that about the new PG.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Bootleg/recast kits, I'd imagine :) 

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nothing starts a Monday off right like tiny awesomeness!

[​IMG]

6. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    maaaaan, that Zeta with the bow conversion kit is really tempting me...but I', not sure if resin kits's a realm I wanna dive into yet..

7. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

It will probably be O Raiser, considering it won second in the contest so I would think we'd see it soon. However, the Quan[t] is mostly based off of Exia's frame so I would think that would be relatively easy to mold.

8. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly, I like the heavyarms but badly turned out resin kits aren't worth getting even at those prices.

9. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Would it be possible to see some pictures of Perfect Grade 00 Raiser fully assembled and docked?

10. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it helps anyone, the Strike Noir and Char's Ball conversion kits Squee bought are both manufactured by Defier and he says the cast quality is excellent.

RIDUltraMagnus, here. This site will be your new best friend. http://dalong.net/review/pg/p12/p12_p.htm

Dalong.net, my friend. They have all the pictures you could ever want of just about any MG, PG and post-seed HG.

11. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    So, what's the overall experience with Resin like? I understand there's a lot more work invovled then Bandai Gunpla kits...I see a lot of nice conversion kit stuf..things Bandai would probably never make but...I'm still on the fence.

12. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

My thoughts on Resin...

Resin can be dificult. There can be air bubbles in your pieces. These need to be dug out and filled. There is guaranteed to be flash as well as nubs. The nubs are not like bandai's nubs. They have to be carefully cut away/sanded. There is almost always guaranteed mold release. So the parts must be soaked in a grease removing liquid, dish soap works fine but it's best to leave for at least 2 days. All parts must be sanded, and primed. Since most resin doesn't do color separation for parts, if you're spraying paint, be it through an airbrush or can, you are going to have to do ALOT of masking. If you're going to handbrush... you're just wasting time imo. Buying resin to handbrush is just wasting money imo. You'll be buying a kit that DESERVES the best painting you can possibly do. (Again, all imo) Oh and you need to wear a mask when dealing with it. Resin is highly toxic, and if you inhale the dust, it can make you sick.

If you don't care about the work you're going to put into it, then try out doing resin kits. Most statues/busts are resin, so you can see how nice it'll look. And no, resin kits are not bootleg. Bandai has no problem with resin companies, as they are not trying to copy a Bandai product i.e. tt hongli. They are making a product Bandai does not sell.

Ionno, i've gotten to the point where Bandai kit's are getting too easy for me to work on, so i like the challenge that resin brings. It is definitely not for OOB builders.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  13. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Well, some resins are bootlegs of other resin kits, lol. Deifer does a lot of recasts of other, much more expensive, limited run resin kits from places like NeoGrade and Vicious Project. I bet those companies aren't too happy with it, but it probably doesn't hurt them too much as they only work with limited runs.

I'm definitely going to go into the realm of working with resin. I'm at the stage that there are suits I want that Bandai doesn't do and going resin is my only option. I'd personally love a MG Unicorn Banshee, Blast Impulse and Akatsuki, but out of those only the Banshee has any sort of good chance to get an official release. I also knew it was toxic. Fills up your lungs like asbestos if I remember correctly. Do you have any good tutorials for working with resin kits, Squee? Nice tutorials with pictures or video would be nice to see for things like fixing air bubbles, filling seems, fixing warping would all be really nice to see.

14. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    There's also a Blast Impulse conversion kit!? *Goes to look*

EDIT: DAAAAMN... SEED has got it good in the MG Resin kit market!

15. yami4ct

News Credits:
    That's not too shocking. Most of these resin makers are Asian based and SEED was huge in the Asian market. Also, many different SEED frames were released by Bandai that could easily be repurposed to make new kits. That's also why we are seeing a lot of Wing resins. Bandai's done a good job at making the Wing frame reusable with very few changes. I bet we'll see even more Wing conversions after these guys get their hands on the even more general frame of the Deathscythe. I guarantee we'll see resins of every variation of the Wing suits you could want. TV, Ka and EW will all be represented.

16. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

The wing suits are full resin kits. Full resin kits are purely display pieces, i would NEVER play with them!!! As for the seed thing... The MG strike frame is considered one of the best frames for modding/converting parts onto it. It's a very simple yet veratile frame. Also, many recasters do not just copy other companies. They also add/remove things to the kit.

17. Sciron

Sciron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Here you go man,
    Perfect Grade 00 Raiser Gundam Gallery | Joseph Lim
    That's where I got my paint ideas from when I built mine.

Squee,

Nice buys, could you keep us updated on the Strike Noir kit? I've been eyeing that kit for a while and I've been wanting to make the jump to resin conversion kits.

18. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Squee, I'm pretty sure the Wing suits are conversion kits. Defier Hobby sells them with the wing zero custom frame. They do use the old wing ver. ka frame, so that'd be my reason to avoid them. They do look quite good, though.

19. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

Oooh, you're right lol i have my sites confused. Defier is like one out of a bunch of sites i get resin from. XD I see nothing wrong with the ver ka frame personally, it's not like you're going to be holding up that crazy gun. My hesitation is i know that Bandai must be coming out with the GWING suits in a mg form in the next 3 years. The katoki suits are a given.

20. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits: