Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    It's kind of funny that the first ver.Ka PG is the Strike Freedom... has he ever touched the SEED series before?

2. Sciron

Sciron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow, so much hate for PG Strike Freedom. I agree it's not my number one pick for a PG (I want a Hi Nu/Nu Gundam or Exia), but I'll be ordering him. S. Freedom is still a popular Gundam in Japan and makes sense from a marketing stand point. If it is true that it will be a Ver. Ka, its going to be on par with PG Strike's quality.

I also love that Quan[T] Full Saber, that GN Saber is "F'n" awesome.

Cheetor, nope Katoki hasn't touched seed yet.

3. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Strike Freedom is the most disappointing PG release EVAR. Destiny is a far superior design, and doesn't suffer from "I'm crappy because I have a gold frame" syndrome. Too bad Freedom is so popular in the Asian areas.

My choices would have been Quan[t] or even Unicorn, but I guess this one will be a definite pass.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was the Cosmic Era subline for the Gundam Fix Figuration line. I think Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, Destiny, and Legend/Providence were made. Dunno if there were any others.

And yeah, I would've much preferred the original Freedom to the Strike Freedom. Much cleaner design, and none of that overwhelming gold crap. Plus, y'know, it actually managed to be interesting in battle, since it actually had convincing opposition.

5. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    There was an Aile Strike Gundam Fix if I recall correctly.

6. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    PG Perfect Zeong would be HUGE.

7. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    The MG is pretty on par with the Megasize RX 78...

8. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like the Full Saber 00 Quan[T]. Really balances out the shield. Combine that with my love of option kits and I'll definitely be picking this one up.

As for the PG SF, it's not my first choice, but I could think of worse. We could be getting another Strike variation. The Stike PG kit is great, but we don't need another. Also the fact that it's being redesigned by Katoki should make the suit look much more interesting. If it has a good option to display the DRAGOONs and a nice display base, I'll probably bite. I'm a sucker for remote weapons. Let's just wait and see how this turns out before criticizing it. We haven't even seen a prototype of it yet. It could be like the PG Strike or Astray and be surprisingly good.

10. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I'll probably get it too...I'm a sucker for huge ass swords...and I love the idea of having the QuanT hold TWO of them.

11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Hell, BEECraft managed to make it look cool enough for me to buy the Burst Mode MG kit. The gold frame is still tacky as hell, but at least the design itself is far nicer than Okawara's dumpy original.

Wonder if there'll be a chance to get it at deep clearance prices, like what happened with 00 Raiser. That'll probably get me to cave. But Strike Freedom's bizarre popularity with the Asian fandom might mean it flies off the shelves.

12. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

I like a PG Strike Freedom, but i would have loved the origional Freedom Gundam as PG, it's more of a Icon then strike freedom

I do not like the thought about a PG Nu gundam who some really want, Hi-Nu would be a much better choice.

I hope they repaint PG red frame astray in blue and bring it out with some different weapons

13. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Hi guys

Ok i'm a complete noob when it comes to Gundams but i'm interested in maybe picking a few up.

So my questions are what would you recommend to a noob?
    Preferably not a kit but a figure. Maybe something with good posability and around the 6" height?

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Snag anything you like from the Robot Damashii line. The quality's excellent (which it should be. The figures are kinda expensive...)

They're closer to 5", though. Bandai tends to produce toys/models in two major scales: 1/144, and 1/100. 1/144 comprises the majority of figures and models, with 1/100 offered for more "deluxe" items. Due to the way these scales work out, most of the toys clock in at either 5" or 8". The only time you'll see 6" is for a particularly large Mobile Suit in the 1/144 range.

15. Cungitron

News Credits:
    Thanks for that. The Robot Damashii line looks good. I can see my wallet taking a beating :D 

Is the FIX Figuration line any good? What scale is close to the 8" mark?
    Sorry for the noob questions but some of these Gundams look amazing and i'd hate to end up buying a 2" model kit or something.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The Fix Figuration line is reportedly terrible, at least if you want an actual toy to play with. Those are more like adjustable display pieces. Many are prone to breakage, and the paints are easily scratchable.

1/100 scale are 8", although there's hardly any toys in that scale. The older Archenemies line (US release) had a Wing Zero Custom, Tallgeese III, and Aile Strike Gundam, IIRC. Very short-lived, and long since off the shelves. Maybe you can find them on eBay, but I think they fetch a bit of a premium. Beyond that, there was a very short-lived line in Japan, featuring Turn-A Gundam, a couple of Strike Gundams, and a couple of Impulse Gundams, built with some metal parts in their frames. That line came fast and went just as quietly.

More recently, there's the Fix Figuration Metal Composite line. Again, very sparse selection. A couple different colour variants of the original RX-78-2 with G-Armor, Zeta Plus in two different colours, and Unicorn Gundam. Premium collectors line, quite pricey, featuring numerous diecast inner components and lots of parts/accessories.

Really, if you're looking for a selection of 1/100 scale Gundams, then you're going to have to get into modelling. 1/144 is really the only option if you want true action figures, unless you want to get into the even smaller 1/200 scale HCM-Pro line, which seems defunct now with the advent of Robot Damashii.

17. Cungitron

News Credits:
    Thanks again. That makes things a lot clearer.
    I see what you mean about the Fix Figuration Metal Composite line. They're pricey alright but look astounding! I think i'll get something from the Robot Damashii line to start off.

Out of curiosity, How long does it usually take to assemble a model kit?

Thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it

18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Depends entirely on the scale, the complexity, and how much effort you want to put into the finish.

A basic an SD Gundam will take me, maybe an hour/hour-and-a-half to complete. They're very basic, maybe 50 pieces, but I'll take my time to cut all the little tiny bits of mold flash off the plastic, and cleanly apply the stickers (of which there's usually a lot, since the kits are usually molded in very basic colours).

A 1/144 HG kit will take me roughly three hours for the average one. There's a lot more pieces than an SD kit, over a hundred for modern ones (going back about 7 years, the 1/144 kits were much more basic), and sometimes some very small parts that need more care to prep. Sticker work is usually more fine. The kits are more accurately colour molded, but that sometimes means there's some very tiny stickers to apply, rather than big honking ones that cover multiple colour details.

1/100 scale is only a very marginal increase from that. On account of the larger scale, there'll be a few extra detail parts compared to 1/144, but parts breakdowns and builds are generally very similar.

Then we start moving up grades, from HG, to 1/100 MG. Master Grade marks a significant jump in time involved, as the kits become more detail oriented. Whereas lower grade kits are generally basic affairs, with hollow part construction, Master Grade's are much more highly detailed affairs, with inner frames, mechanical gimmicks like moving pistons and auto-shifting armour, and more detailed armour panels - broken down into more parts for better definition and accurate colour breakdowns. The parts count practically doubles from their 1/100 HG counterparts. These usually take me in the realm of 10 hours to build and sticker up, usually spread over 3-4 days. I've built so many MG Strike Gundams, though, that I've pretty much memorized the process. I can build the Gundam itself (not the specialized weapon packs) in three hours, no instructions.

Then moving to 1/60 scale, you've either got the basic "Big Scale" kits, which are just like their HG counterparts, just scaled to a foot tall. So there, probably about 3-4 hours to build. A bit more complicated, only because the scale bump lets them do things like fully articulated fingers and opening cockpits. But nothing really fancy.

The cream of the crop would be 1/60 Perfect Grade. A further expansion of the MG concept, done with all the extra detail that 1/60 scale affords them. Much more parts (As an estimate, maybe 120 for HG, 250 for MG, 500 for PG, at their more basic levels. Bigger, more loaded kits of course contain more), many more mechanical details, and usually some basic LED gimmicks. I think my PG Strike took me about 15-18 hours, spread over the course of a week.

And note, these are just basic build times. Just cutting the parts out and trimming away the mold flash, and basic sticker work. If you want to fully finish your kits with paint and high-detail decals, then you're probably looking at doubling your active working time, at least. Add more time waiting for glue/putty to set and paint to cure.

19. Cungitron

News Credits:
    Wow! thats definately time consuming! I may pick up a basic kit too and see how that goes.

Again thanks for your help!

20. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I recently built a 1/100 Zaku Warrior(yeah, Luna's, my bro won it as a prize at an Anime Day and let me build it) took me a few hours since its been forever since i built a Gundam and even then that was just an OLD 1/144 Wing Zero.

Kinda want to try an 1/144 HG or a 1/100 MG, that newer 1/100 Wing calls to me, and then i really want to do that 1/144 Infinite Justice.

Someday maybe :D