Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Um...none of the complaints for Seed brought up align with what you listed for Armada?

We weren't complaining about the general premise, toy designs, or animation. The complaints were terrible writing and shameless fanservice.

If there is any TF entry from that time with comparable writing (at least by TF standards as TF never tries to be a war drama), it's Energon and that show gets dog piled plenty for it. Likewise there isn't a single TF show that shoves boobs and panty shots in your face as aggressively as any 10 minute slice of Seed.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    I have the MG RX-78 3.0 and Zeta Ver.Ka coming in today. Anything I should know before hand?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Datsun87

Elbows. Be careful around the elbows. Otherwise have fun. The OG RG is basically a tiny MG v3.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, no. I wouldn't compare Armada/ML to SEED in the slightest, they both have very different qualities and shortcomings and even then SEED's writing and characters are FAR worse.

• Like Like x 1
  5. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    I think it'll be more accurate to describe Energon/Superlink as the Gundam SEED Destiny of Transformers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When looking at both of these shows, they both actually have quite a lot in common:
    • Both SEED Destiny and Energon/Superlink has a good start, with set-up of potentially cool plot threads and character arcs.
    • Both of their predecessors (Gundam SEED and Armada/Micron Legend) started out rough but manages to form their own identity, and has a clearer flow plot-wise as they go on.
    • Both eventually fall victim to behind-the-scenes drama, rushed production, and get even more contrived; With the writing getting worse as it goes on.
    • Both shows plot-wise were all over the place as it goes on; as if the writers had no clear idea of who they wanted the protagonist to be, so the story as a whole suffered.
    • Both end up being regarded as worse than their already flawed predecessors from a storytelling and narrative POV.
    • Both shows also like to bring characters who die in the previous shows back, for some reason even if it makes no sense narrative-wise.
    • The casts who returned from the previous shows only ended up as a bland, more obnoxious caricature of themselves.
    • Both SEED Destiny and Superlink/Energon also love reusing transformation and combining stock footage (The Energon Autobots super-linking, Impulse Gundam docking sequence, Strike Freedom or Freedom Gundam beam spams, etc)
    • Having potentially interesting character arcs that went nowhere or ended in a completely unsatisfying way.
    • Coincidentally, both shows also have an angry, super-powered, dark-haired teenage human boy with a traumatic childhood among its main cast (Shinn Asuka and Kicker Jones), who could potentially develop into a more interesting character but never did; Due to the writers seemingly having no idea what to do with them.
    • And also, both show airs on TV around the same years as well (2004 - 2005).
    As someone who adores Micron Legend (And actually doesn't mind Gundam SEED and can see why someone likes it for the most part), I find both Energon/Superlink and Gundam SEED Destiny to be incredibly disappointing follow-ups to their predecessors because both shows start off fairly strong and promising, with all sorts of shades of grey in their characters and conflicting internal monologues that were very character-driven and meaningful, where we get to see through the POV of a generation of new characters who lived in the shadows and was affected by the aftermath of events that occurred in the previous entries.

But unfortunately, the noncommittal attitude both shows had towards their new leads, and the various writing troubles that plagued their back half absolutely killed both series of any meaningful follow-through to a lot of the deep and heartfelt questions posed at the beginning of the series until any bit of narrative potential was sucked out of the story until there's nothing left.

For the MG RX-78-2 ver. 3.0, be very careful with the pre-molded articulated hands of that kit. Those things sucks, and not just because they're fully articulated, but because they're terribly designed and incredibly delicate.

[​IMG]

If you accidentally pops out a finger even once, the socket is permanently screwed and the fingers will pop off all the time forever (Which is what happened to my MG Jesta, which uses the same pre-molded articulated hands mold)

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Be careful with mowhawk/forehead. First warning is the sprue jutting out from the sloped edge of the brow line. Second warning is the part can snap at the groove for holding the v-crest.

IMG_20131006_152540_611-1.jpg

Everyone else will warn you of the MP-1 hands, how I handled them is I recommend you roll the fingers closed using a pencil or x-acto knife handle.

• Like Like x 3
  7. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Holy shit hobby lobby. The shipping box was fine, but they were literally crammed in there.

679FA6E5-A197-429F-ABAB-7ED8E42151E6.jpeg

Also I watched Char’s Counterattack and Hathaway’s flash for the first time today. I was a little let done by both as I was expecting a lot more, but I did enjoy them. I was already wanting a Messer and now this made it worse. :lol 

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Oy.... are the contents okay??

• Like Like x 1
  10. Datsun87

Oof. Are the runners at least fine? I've heard way too many horror stories about shipped Pla from Hobby Lobby. They are great if you can physically walk in and walk out with 40% off kits but I wouldn't trust shipping.

It was Quess's fault wasn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    When isn't it her fault?
    -
    Light bit of work this afternoon on the tail stabilizer.

20240510_174718.jpg

Dab of clear blue running light and flash of silver.. Still need to paint the vents.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Yep. But holy cow.
    It was more that I just expected them to be proper movies, but instead they feel like they are 30 minutes episodes with a lot of extra scenes shoved in. CCA especially was kinda a letdown considering how massively hyped up it was. We join the story as it’s already happening, and don’t see any sort of character growth in either Char or Amuro, it’s literally just their last 48 hours. I expected a lot of older characters to show up, as well as a lot of new and old mobile suits, but neither of those really happen. Hathaway was great but also felt like the opening act of a movie, not a full movie with a proper story(although I can understand why considering what it’s based on). It seems to be a common trend for Gundam movies to be blown up episodes, except for the MSG Trilogy, which felt a lot like a proper movie. :lol 

On the topic of Quess, dude most of the women in Gundam are just strange, toxic, and super emotional. :lol  The only woman who ever seemed to ever be normal was Mirai. Every other one is either toxic & manipulative or eventually goes crazy. I mean honestly what the fuck Reccoa. :lol 

Anywho, someone informed me that Galactic toys had the G-Self with Perfect Pack and Moon Gundam instock as well as 15% off with the MAY15 code, so I got both for a very very good price.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ALEXD3498

ALEXD3498 Godmaster

The HG zaku origin version was an incredible build, better than many early RG's. 20240511_003832.jpg Built it back to back with the rg zgok, yes, parts from the zgok fly away, and no, I can't find them, so consider the foot as battle-damaged LOL

• Like Like x 3
  14. Viper2

Viper2 Storming the Moon Gate

Brass rod + pin vise will help you fix this quickly and permanently.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pantomime

pantomime Cosmic Wanderer

CGI promo images of upcoming HGCE/RG kit's from LINKL PLANET's livestream

HGCE 1/144 Black Knight Squad Cal-re.A
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 152936.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153414.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153432.png

HGCE 1/144 Murasame Kai
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 152952.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153505.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153453.png

HGCE 1/144 Destiny Gundam Spec II + Zeus Silhouette
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153010.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153522.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153531.png

RG 1/144 Oowashi Akatsuki Gundam
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153607.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153626.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 153635.png

• Like Like x 5
  16. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pretty much my feelings on the matter. I don't think CCA is bad, but I'd heard it touted as top tier Gundam and it just doesn't click with me. Worse yet it's also one of those instances of being critical of it is met with literal essays on why I'm wrong and what makes it an absolute masterpiece... dude IDGAF, and the more I see it put on a pedestal the more I actively hate it. Same with shit like Trailblazer, I'm getting all this justification for why it is indeed a necessary followup and I just do NOT care or agree. Get down off you high horses, accept that Tomino is a frustrated old fart, and your movies are mid! [/rant]
    Gotta say as much as I've always kinda liked the Murasume as a surrogate Zeta MP type the Murasume Kai just misses the mark for me. I much prefer the forward swept wings of the original.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Mumbowumbo

Mumbowumbo Longtime lurker, first time poster

Definitely not going to tell anyone how to feel but I am firmly in the “CCA is a masterpiece” camp :lol  I also really loved Hathaway, but then again I very much enjoyed Narrative (despite its flaws) so maybe it doesn’t matter what I think lol.

Speaking of Nu gundams, I’ve been working on an RG Hi-Nu. IMG_6950.jpeg IMG_6951.jpeg IMG_6952.jpeg

I really enjoy detailing these inner frames on the newer RG kits, even though most of it will never be seen again.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

"Women Suck... Society Sucks... And We All Die in the End"
    CCA; Aptly Described within a Sentence.

Or, in other words... A Thursday in the BATMAN Universe.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Looking at the pictures of the Akatsuki flexing its arms and legs, I'm wondering what the Advanced Joint parts are going to be like. Or if they recycled parts of the RG Strike Gundam. I see the details in the thigh, knee, and elbow that look identical.

20. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    I just saw someone point out that same thing on the gunpla subreddit.

72149B18-2462-46E6-9024-A2E702E62D80.jpeg
    Speaking of that place. They have a list of upcoming releases and reprints. Are these to be believed?