Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Got Well Soon

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Fixed^

Welcome to the Cosmic Era, where the plot trips over itself across recap episodes, crying, and stock footage, but the model kits tend to be really good.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    I did a lot of research going before hand so that I could watch Freedom without being too confused, and for the most part I got enough to be fine.

The animation is gorgeous, the score is 10/10, and the Mobile suits are fantastic in design. Kira does nothing but go “uh” everytime Char Clone #999 says anything to him, and while Lacus certainely is the actual main character of this movie I just couldn’t help but not care about her. I know the lore, I got the meaning, but the delivery was just so lackluster.

Thinking about it more the movie wasn’t bad, but it’s just very inconsistant. It starts out great but then trips over itself. The second act is just the characters standing around and Kira crying for 20 minutes and the third act I could barely keep track of what was going on.

The movie has huge stakes but the fact that practically no one dies except for the antagonists also felt really lame. Like it wanted to go full UC but then just couldn’t commit.

Something else that also bothered me was how some things were brought up and then just never talked about or never given much attention. Agnes really needed to have a larger role in the film, Shin didn’t really get to prove himself in any meaningful way, and it was implied that Aura the loli queen(who was actually my favorite character :lol ) is decades old and used genetic engineering to make herself de-age. Thats nuts. It’s implied as we see a photo of her as an adult and then never brought up again. Just like the fact that she apperently was responsible for the creation of Lacus, as well as the grand architect of everything. And for her to be this Thanos level villian, she has around a dozen lines in the movie and does nothing so Char Clone can prove he’s the real bad guy.

And it’s just so predictable, man. Like I said, the first 30 minutes are amazing as it’s high stakes and lots of amazing action but then it’s just nosedives. The second act has to be the worst I’ve ever seen in a movie.

A part of me wonders if this wasn’t meant to be a multi-episode OVA at one point but Bandai wanted it to be a movie after Hathaway’s success.

I hope Seed fans love it. It had several moments I’m sure will be dear to them. Maybe one day after I’ve watched Seed and Destiny I’ll come back to it again and enjoy it more, who knows.

• Like Like x 2
  4. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    I watched the SEED Freedom movie within the first week it came out in Malaysian theatres; for what it is and contrary to what most people here think, - I'll give it a 8 out of 10 (And this is coming from someone who aren't even the biggest fanatic fan of SEED to begin with)

The movie is basically what I would expect out of a Gundam SEED movie that serves as a sequel to SEED Destiny, and for what it is it's a pretty good and entertaining watch. If you're someone who loves the Gundam SEED franchise you're gonna like what this movie can offers to the table (Especially how the movie deals with some of the returning characters and give them somewhat of a satisfying next step in their character journey after SEED Destiny badly mismanaged their characters).

TBH, I actually enjoyed this movie more than Transformers: Rise of the Beast, and in some ways I did SEED Freedom actually did a much better job of pulling off a few things that ROTB attempted, than the actual ROTB movie itself.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    ROTB was not perfect but it had actual character development as well a structured plot with a first, second, and third act, something Freedom does not.

Neither film is perfect but objectively ROTB is much, much better film.

But, I suppose it doesn’t matter if I buy the kits as thats all Bandai cares about. *shrug

• Like Like x 2
  6. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    If you ask me, the Gundam SEED Freedom movie actually did a much better job of executing the intended idea behind Optimus's "character arc" in ther ROTB movie, than the actual ROTB movie itself in Kira Yamato himself.

[​IMG]

Let me explain for a bit:

In ROTB, Optimus and the Autobots have been stranded on Earth for the past seven years, and he feels he alone is to blame for their current situation. His genuinely missing home has made him become increasingly irate, cynical, and distrusting — especially regarding humans, whom he's come to believe are inherently self-serving, and he had to learn a lesson.

Meanwhile in the Gundam SEED Freedom, Kira Yamato character-wise starts out in that movie in a similar matter - Despite his efforts in the previous shows, barely anything has changed. Conflicts between both Natural and Coordinator extremists who intent to wipe out one another still persists, innocent peoples still die, and seeing all of these makes him questions on wherever or not the previous villains that he fought were maybe right all along, and thus he doesn't feel comfortable relying on anyone else, even his closest allies and friends because he feels like he has to fix everything himself, and he had to learn a lesson.

However, a lot of said "character arc" that I mentioned about Optimus was kinda half-assed execution-wise; I especially disliked the scene where Mirage went on a whole ass monologue describing Optimus' underlying insecurity to both Noah and the audiences, which is not the best writing-wise. Sometimes tell and not show is completely fine but when it is literally telling you the entire arc of a character, that needs to be shown, not told.

I watched PaperPlane's video on ROTB, and he analyse how Optimus' arc is way too unexplained. The defenses of Optimus' arc in the movie honestly were more like detailed descriptions of the setup and the payoff of the arc, rather than the arc itself. What happened that made Prime change his racist ways? At what point did he actually realize he was wrong? The movie doesn't make it clear and to add to that, Prime's yapping about all of those stuffs takes up runtime that could have been devoted at fleshing one of the many characters' backstory and character arc. For crying out loud, there was supposed to be a deleted scene where Optimus fights some Decepticons where we get a bit inside his mindset and that scene, well, got cut for whatever reason.

Not to mention, there's also the issue where the rest of the Autobots crew are seemingly somewhat aware of Prime's emotional stance and of his beliefs about humans, and yet none of them or even the movie itself seem to called him out for it narrative-wise in a way that sticks, and the only one time where one of the Autobots fights back against Prime's racist beliefs is a small dialog exchange with Bumblebee which amounts to 2-3 throwaway lines that don't really went anywhere.

--------------------------

But in the Gundam SEED Freedom movie however, the movie actually bothered to show us Kira Yamato's character arc and how his change affects everyone else around him as the movie goes on.

Kira's initial flawed self in the beginning of the movie actually affects the story and everyone else around him as it severely strained his friendships and relationships with his allies and friends, as Shinn is saddened on why can't help Kira out more and feared that Kira secretly still dislikes him because after all, Kira was once his former enemy who Shinn tried to kill before, and Lacus feels like she doesn't know what she can do to help Kira out as Kira spent more and more time working with his duties, that it began to corrode their relationship as they spent less and less time together as a couple.

This all comes to the breaking point where after the 2nd act of the movie where Foundation betrayed them and reveals their true intentions, both his Rising Freedom and Shinn's Immortal Justice got wrecked, he only made it out alive thanks to Athrun's sudden intervention, seeing everything that he had worked on falls apart as Foundation declare an all-way war against the PLANTS and Earth nations and kill god-know-how-many civilians using the rebuilt Requiem superweapon that he destroyed years ago (A nightmare-ish scenario that he fought so hard for before to prevent ever happening again), and he mistakenly believed that Lacus betrayed him hurts him so badly, that he emotionally snaps at his friends and allies, calling them all weak including himself, and that Lacus leaves him because he is useless and all that... but unlike in ROTB and Optimus, the SEED Freedom movie actually called Kira out by having Athrun, his best friend who had been alongside him in the previous conflict as both as an ally and enemy, finally gotten so fed up with Kira's attitude, Athrun had no choice but to literally punches the shit out of Kira in order to get him back to his senses, while also explaining that he at the end of the day, is still a human being who makes mistakes and there's only so much that he can do alone, and that it's ok to just talk things out with those around him, so they all can solve this without escalating the situation further, which makes Kira realizes his mistakes.

And as soon as he did, Kira actually did something to amend for his mistakes - He finally fully entrusted Shinn to defend their mothership after he spent the first half of the entire movie only willing to let Shinn do the bare minimum, he allows Lacus to be his co-pilot in the finale after he confesses his true feelings to Lacus, and the rest of his friends as he let go of his obsession that he had to be the "Jesus" who had to do everything himself.

-------------------

Speaking of SEED, for what it was even at its worst, is still a decent series that is pretty emotional and pulls off what it set out to do. It was a decent "greatest hits" collection of classic Gundam tropes, sort of a back-to-basics approach in some manner, after the 90s AUs each put their own spins on the whole ’anti-war" thing of Gundam, and it had reasonably good plot progression and stakes. For a franchise veteran, I can see how it could be regarded as "stale" or "unoriginal", but for what it is there are tings to like with SEED.

In a few ways, Gundam SEED was one of those things where everything came together to create mass appeal. It was promoted as a retelling of 0079, so that got some of the older Gundam audience interested. The character designs, the music, and melodrama was all designed to appeal to female fans, the super robot style design got kids, the involvement of big-name voice actors and celebrities got the fandom of said celebrities and VAs; One of those examples been famous Japanese singer T.M. Revolution (aka Takanori Nishikawa), who sang some of the insert songs in the anime including its first opening, who also have voiced cameo as a VA for a side character. It's just one of those things where everything was on point to sell it; Like it's the Sword Art Online of the early 2000s.

It also helps that SEED was the core of Gundam's brand revival in Japan after an era of constant Gundam production that pretty much ended with After War Gundam X who got prematurely cut short. SEED starts out as a retelling of 0079 with the most recent anime design conventions and tropes, as well as Gundam tropes that hadn't existed during 0079's run, in an attempt to mix what made Gundam work with popular modern elements. And it worked - SEED skyrocketed Gundam's popularity overnight, and is the first Gundam for many modern Japanese Gundam fans.

It's definitely a bit dated, as SEED was stuck in that awkward early 2000s period of animation where everything began to transitioned to digital art, but animation direction hadn't quite caught up with the times yet. So stock footage and clip episodes still reigned supreme. But for better or worse, there's a reason why SEED is one of the most well-known Gundam AU series even to this day.

SEED Destiny on the other hand, is a huge, messy disappointment through.. TBF, the first half of Destiny is freakin' good, and in parts even better than SEED ever was at its best; But the show slowly devolves into a massive trainwreck as soon as Kira returned in the spotlight, with a ton of lost untapped story potentials and ridiculous writing decisions that's more like something you'll see in amateur fanfics written by some 10 years old than a professionally produced anime.

If you ever watched Energon/Superlink, well... there's a reason why I called Energon/Superlink the Gundam SEED Destiny of the Transformers franchise.

You can watch SEED Destiny, at least if you just want to see an example of how not to make a sequel entry for any piece of media ever, but it really has no redeeming features besides some alright mecha designs and bangin' music.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  7. pantomime

pantomime Cosmic Wanderer

HGCE 1/144 Murasame Kai
    • October 2024
    • 2,750 yen (10% tax included)
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    P1015175__RtTIe_ny-h9WQ7iPUfibl8tHGER9NwX.jpg
    S__62570511_0_YwA-K3Kk-LIAte8lAcoK8jM3iQUVWodj.jpg
    P1015176_V7LMfIRTbhFqgDq-m4s_RffFUxmAA9ID-768x540.jpg
    S__62570513_0_1Msm8v217E7Xs9tz0oLxXvqXCXUTNE8c-768x576.jpg
    3.jpg

HGCE 1/144 Destiny Gundam SpecII & Zeus Silhouette
    • November 2024
    • 7,920 yen (10% tax included)
    GNA97bqbIAAqUX6.jpg
    4.jpg
    S__62570506_0_FkTrbEsgFG5HLu4wObXuPUyupp3HCzpL-768x576.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    S__62570507_0_8E0ncQb6V88OP3s26GEIFEpaLwyt-Ivi.jpg
    GNB9p3HakAAiZdk.jpg
    GNB0xLxbcAAkdtl.jpg
    GNB0xLsbkAAj4Xg.jpg
    GNB0xLtbkAA_dfw.jpg
    GNB0xLqb0AAdvGs.jpg

HGCE 1/144 Black Knight Squad Cal-re.A

• October 2024
    • 4,070 yen (10% tax included)
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
    19.jpg
    18.jpg
    17.jpg
    16.jpg
    15.jpg
    14.jpg
    13.jpg
    12.jpg
    11.jpg
    10.jpg
    9.jpg
    8.jpg
    P1015168__4jwAbARoIIU-1W-Dj8YfpUL24gKL29R-768x588.jpg
    P1015167_KH5dDOkJk02zs0T3mkrAK66d3CbL0u4t-768x620.jpg

RG 1/144 Oowashi Akastuki Gundam
    • December 2024
    • 8,800 yen (10% tax included)
    28.jpg
    29.jpg
    30.jpg
    31.jpg
    32.jpg
    26.jpg
    27.jpg
    22.jpg
    23.jpg
    24.jpg
    25.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. pantomime

pantomime Cosmic Wanderer

HGCE 1/144 Z'Gok
    GNB64yUawAAK76E.jpg
    GNB64yVboAAPgmh.jpg
    GNB64yUbcAA6vBH.jpg
    GNB725NbYAAXgs0.jpg
    GNB725SaMAAVYAo.jpg
    GNB725ObIAAVPrt.jpg
    GNB725PaAAAGEY3.jpg

P-Bandai HGCE 1/144 Hilda Harken's Gyan Strom
    • 3,190 yen (10% tax included)
    gunpla_gyan.jpg
    GNBcObNbQAAgOF9.jpg

MGSD Wing Gundam Zero EW Ver.
    • November 2024
    GNBZbrzb0AA4x3d.jpg
    GNBZbrxboAAsEDE.jpg
    GNBZbrwbQAAvrD2.jpg
    GNBZbrzbgAAZ1FY.jpg

Best Mechanical Collection 1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam (REVIVAL Ver.)
    • October 2024
    • 1,320 yen (10% tax included)
    GNBF-D5akAA3lqr.jpg
    GNBF-spb0AAIMbT.jpg
    GNBF-RIbkAAwX8F.jpg
    GNBF-ecasAAYpe-.jpg
    GNB9vnFbUAAkJGV.jpg
    GNB9vnCaYAAguSp.jpg
    GNB9vnGaMAAcfDA.jpg
    GNB_gC8aEAAgwi0.jpg
    GNB_gC_aEAAzGHz.jpg
    GNB_gDAbsAArVnJ.jpg

P-Bandai RG 1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam Ver.2.0 Weapon Set
    • October 2024
    • 2,200 yen (10% tax included)
    GNBMzuXaYAEoptj.jpg P1015263_h7AAgFsASZLbnjBptZ6WFZimAPp8Nuy2.jpg
    P1015264_tOlUnYKI8n3FUKa07qOjGwUgDscwgF3F.jpg

All reveals are regular except Hilda's Gyan Strom and the RG Gundam Weapon Set

• Like Like x 5
  9. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Wow... that Akatsuki does look good but I worry about the price with all that chrome.
    Seems rather unfair that it's happening before a Hyaku Shiki...

-
    Segue to the Zeta. The legs getting more detail painted in.

20240507_235041.jpg

The feet are assembled and painted on the treads.

20240507_234852.jpg

Undercoating on the plates for the back of the legs and the armor over the ankles. Silver details filled in.

20240507_235051.jpg

Red vernier cones is a new one for me. I'll leave them that way but I'm painting the nozzles inside.

20240508_001153.jpg

Visibility checks out for the plates.

20240508_001135.jpg

The front and back armor attached. I will need to work on the sides to finish the legs.

Lastly some prep work for the arms. The two tone theme has its areas of effect while I need to prime for the next two colors.

20240507_145243.jpg

I mistakenly over did it on the thinner with my primer coats, but the plans are yellow in the narrow recesses while I will use silver in the shoulders.

• Like Like x 4
  10. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RG Akatsuki is interesting...but before TV Wing Zero? C'mooooooooooooon Bandai...gimme already!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

If it makes you feel any better, I'm utterly shocked Bandai has had the restraint not to do Unicorn/Banshee in MGSD yet. I want those for my current Unicorn/Banshee MG/RG display.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zetto

Zetto Well-Known Member

There's going to be an RG announcement on the 12th and I suppose that's a different model and not the recently announced RG Akatsuki, right?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    The SEED Hype trumps everything.

RG #41?

• Like Like x 1
  14. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Zetto

Zetto Well-Known Member

Maybe not. It seems there won't be any more announcements from Bandai for the Shizuoka Hobby Show.

16. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Even so, their full preview of the Rx-78 2.0 is impressive:

GunDAYUM that's impressive.

• Like Like x 2
  17. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ho-lee fuckbuckets...that RG 2.0 Grandaddy video was insane. The goddamn side skirt armour tilts up and down with the torso! Jay-sus, this is going to a helluva kit and make pretty much every other Grandaddy design obsolete. Bandai really upped the game here. I just hope stability doesn't suffer for all the insane articulation they've worked in...like the working ab crunch with the core fighter installed!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Holy shit thats insane. It movement is based so much more on a human body then a machine and thats nuts. I can’t wait.

• Like Like x 3
  19. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Absolutely hyped for RG Gramps 2.0. The linking gimmicks and articulation are impressive but also something I've seen before in RG Hi Nu. However, I've never seen locking mechanisms like this in place in a figure at this scale in order to improve stability; heck I don't recall if there are MG's that have that level of complexity. This is looking wonderful!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Finally built the Uraven and swapped the armors around with my Core II Titans and Saturnix armor, and man does it feel good to have that color coordination!
    DAB19BAC-3793-407E-B6D2-588D5F89FF2B.jpeg 021EE5B8-A005-4CE3-BB8E-6F87D4D21153.jpeg
    Both look so much better now!

I still have the Plutine, Earthree, and a second Uraven to build. However I have the Nepteight armor and weapons coming today and I plan to give the second Uraven Core the Nepteight. So when I’m done that will put me at 5 out of 9 Planet Systems.

• Like Like x 3