Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Sixshot the six changer

Sixshot the six changer Aka Three Erasers

WHY BANDAI, IF YOU CAN DO A FREAKING SD TRANSFORM MAKE THE FREAKING HG DO IT.
    Okay rant over :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Skylanderformer

Skylanderformer (yells)

the way the SD works is, while it does technically transform, your imagination does a lot of the work. upload_2024-2-23_9-42-26.png upload_2024-2-23_9-42-38.png

the waist still remains untransformed for a portion of it, and the arms and legs don't have any psycho frame in them (at least for the red colored version)
    while it would be technically possible for the HG, it wouldn't be very great because they have a budget limit for those kits, and the RG can exceed that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It also makes more sense that the SD can do it because of the size of the parts. They're a lot blockier and chunkier and don't have as much articulation, like the torso, so moving parts for the transformation can fit in.

It's still pretty impressive what they did work in, though. Also I imagine if Unicorn is added to MGSD it'll have a full transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MeowHiss

MeowHiss Member

I can hear him. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  5. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    b-but..... what about the quirks and features...?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

To be fair, the transformation is a fuster cluck to the point that even the 1:1 life sized Unicorn doesn't fully transform. Like the SD, they don't even try with the legs and just leave the lights off. Sure the RG, MG, MGEX, and PG transform but you're also paying a premium for that ability.

Even if Bamco just went with the most simple transformation scheme used by the RG to make an HG, the cost would probably be so close to the RG because of increased parts count that it would be pointless. Their best bet right now for 1/144 is to go EG with parts forming to let it toggle between the 2 modes so you don't have to buy 2 kits like the HG. There really is no need for another self contained transforming Unicorn at that scale.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MeowHiss

MeowHiss Member

I personaly prefer the HG being two seperate kits. It's nice to have a simple, solid Unicorn.

One of these days I want to get the Unicorn mode.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Skylanderformer

Skylanderformer (yells)

Generally, I want kits and figures to retain all of their original functions. (It's why I haven't bought any TF models.) Unfortunately, Unicorn is a ridiculous design but main gundam standards. the idea is of having an alternae mech mode isn't terrible but having half the kit be panels makes it near impossible to engineer in a realistic setting. I can't speak to the RG or PG but the Master Grade doesn't really hold destroy mode or unicorn mode together entirely. It works, yes, but not great. I'm fine with having them be in seperate modes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I’m probably one of the few who prefers Unicorn Mode to Destroy Mode. I like how simple and elegant it is.

The RG and PG hold much more solidly, as does the MGEX which is stupendous in terms of the transformation. The only downside is it replaces the fiddle transformation with full-body LEDs, so it’s unpleasant to handle in an entirely different way. :p 

A little while ago I actually bought a second MG Unicorn and glued and painted both in place, one unicorn one destroy, just so I could have a 1:100 Unicorn I wasn’t afraid to touch.

If Bandai ever wants to make a killing all they have to do is release the MGEX without the LEDs and a coloured Psychoframe at half the price. Most collectors passed on it due to the high price and light up gimmick, so there’s a whole untapped market of people who want a good 1:100 Unicorn but aren’t going to go for the unnecessary bells and whistles.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    And I skipped the LEDs for the Perfect Grade too because of how thin the wires are, and how you have to lace and loop them into the armor.

One of these days I *might* be tempted to get the RG statue with the LEDs since it doesn't move.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Datsun87

There are more of us

053mk1o3y9p41.jpg

The entire line looks better in Unicorn mode save for the Banshee. The Norn I like in Unicorn mode but the Banshee looks too damn sick with the VN deployed in Destroy mode.

One thing to keep in mind with the MG Unicorn is that the kit is the first of it's kind: the MG ver Ka released in 2007, 3 years before the first episode of the OVA and 2 years before either of the HGs. The engineering was extremely ambitious and well ahead of it's time. Unfortunately that also means any structural integrity goes out the window the moment you transform it.

For my MGs, I made sure to top coat them while in Unicorn mode which effectively locked them in place. I've had them floating on display stands in a generic A stance for years and there hasn't been any drooping or sagging. Granted the wrists also suck on the Unicorn so I put some blu tack in there so the Beam Magnum is held straight.

I keep the MGs in a static display while the RGs do the dynamic stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Hurry up and wait day for an afternoon feed delivery, so I finally got back to work on the Red Frames.

20240223_131352.jpg

Only had enough time to attach the armor to the sides and begin the cleanup process. Need to retouch what paint got scraped.

20240223_210454.jpg

EDIT: tops of the heads are on now but haven't touched it any more for the nignt.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

The Best of Both Worlds;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. MeowHiss

MeowHiss Member

I also prefer the Unicorn Mode.

Indeed, I am one of those people.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Datsun87

I'm in the opposite camp - there weren't enough bells and whistles. No cabled option for power? No remote start (which also could've been implemented with a cabled power source)? Perfectibility colors? Perfectibility gear? Hell I would've paid the sticker price easy for just the full range of red > green > blue.

Honestly how are you going to call any version of the Unicorn "Extreme" if it can't even access it's most Extreme powerup? If you are going to be that dead set on green, at least explode crystals out of it or something.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    More ≠ better. I don't need lights because I'm more likely to paint the Psychoframe a solid color anyway, assuming I'm even bothered, as like others have stated I also prefer the Unicorn mode. It's just much more elegant to me without the bleed through of glowing under bit. Furthermore just the beam magnum and shield are enough, the bazooka would be nice and a beam gatling wouldn't be amiss, everything else though is a hard pass. Give me a decently poseable and detailed MG Unicorn without a box full of nonsense I will never use and just bloats the price anyway and I will be pleased.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Datsun87

It depends on the price. $200+ for a kit? I had better be getting something stupid crazy awesome like a Neo Zeong or some kind of PG. An MG with a lighting kit? That had better be a Perfectibility with all available colors or 00 XN Raiser 7 Sword with a Trans Am Quantum Burst so obnoxious I can use it as a disco ball in that box.

Half of a FA Unicorn with a hanger that doesn't even work with all of the gear? Hard pass Bamco, hard pass.

18. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Some quick pictures of this SD BB Senshi Unicorn Gundam that I just finished building (With some mods and painting of my own, including modified wrist joints to allow swappable hands, because the stock hands are kinda puny)

IMG_20240224_113453.jpg
    IMG_20240224_105604.jpg
    IMG_20240224_113414.jpg
    IMG_20240224_105517.jpg

NGL, for something that I just buy on the run because I'm bored, the build of this SD BB Senshi Unicorn Gundam really surprised the hell out of me; The head, torso and shoulders has some unusual assembly due to the transformation gimmick which is a fun change of pace, and for the most part the color separation is pretty spot-on.

The transformation is a bit on the simple side, where most of the transformation is only at the head, torso, and shoulders so its not the most mindblowing thing around; However, the very fact that this cheap, simple SD kit even boasts a transformation like this with no leftover parts, without sacrificing too much stability-wise at all is pretty commendable.

Weirdly though just straight OOB, both the arms and legs are moulded in all white, which I assume is to provide options where you could either leave them all white if you want the Unicorn Mode to look all pristine white, or add some metallic red paint for a more proper Destroy Mode look with all of the red psycho-frame exposed; Which is.... an interesting choice, to say the least.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interestingly, the Banshee counterpart was upgraded from this, in that it actually had clear inserts for the legs, instead of making you paint the Psycoframe. Legs still didn't transform, though.

There's also the BB Legend Knight Unicorn as a cool variant that plays to the style's strengths a bit better.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Time to finish the Red Frame.

20240224_114008.jpg

Sloppy mistakes and dust specks needed to be buffed out, touched up the accent, and I lost count how many times I had to patch up the paint.

20240224_133115.jpg

All beam sabers are done, the four for the backpacks are mounted.

20240224_133030.jpg

These go into the accessory cup.

20240224_133011.jpg

Heads on!

20240224_133131.jpg

While the Powered Red body is missing the arms it needs, that completes what I need from the base kit.

Both kits mark my 277th and 278th Gunpla, and brings my total number of Real Grades completed to 19.

20240224_133451.jpg

I double checked my photo records, I've had the first Red Frame backlogged since 2017, and bought the second when I found out about the Future Model Weapon Girl kit for the Powered Arms.

20240224_134057.jpg

The normal type getting its obligatory full arsenal pictures. Standing and on its display base.

20240224_134304.jpg

Now to switch out the rifle for the Gerbera Straight!

20240224_135853.jpg

Together with its sibling units.

20240224_135759.jpg

Before I get to the flight unit and Powered Arms, I want to take a break fron the Astray Project for a bit to work on something else I'd been thinking about.
    Since I'm on this trip through the Cosmic Era, it's appropriate to start at the beginning.

20240224_141224.jpg

The Real Grade Perfect Strike, bought from BlueFin directly before the even thought of opening the P.B US store. Backlogged in 2019 after a cursory dabbling. Nothing fancy planned (yet), just some of my dark gray mix to fill in the details... and maybe some navy blue for the exposed cables.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 11