Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. DinoLynx

DinoLynx Blast effect hoarder

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 5.12.09 PM.png

Just managed to complete my Zaku II C Type before the new year.
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 5.05.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 5.05.59 PM.png

And with that, I thought I'd share a year-end review of my collection so far:

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 5.08.33 PM.png
    Zeon

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 5.09.00 PM.png
    Earth Federation

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 5.08.03 PM.png
    and miscellaneous. I only started building model kits in 2022 and the only ones I did then were the Gundam American Type and the Char's Zaku and Gundam revives, plus some Evangelions. So all the others were done this past year.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    New year..... same bad habit. I did that thing again when I stop whatever it is I started and go back to something I put off .... three years ago, ish.

But first, one last thing where I left off the night before. I assembled and painted the main targeting sight for the Zeta's beam rifle.

20240101_141957.jpg

Clear teal lens, silver border and detail on the back side. Now into its box with the rest of the unfinished business so I can build something else twice at once.

20240101_134220.jpg

Real Grade Astray Red Frame. Times two. First in its original form, and the other for the third party Powered Red upgrade by Future Model. The "FUTURE MODEL WEAPON GIRL" kit also includes Red Frame's flight unit which will go to the original. Buried in that pile of parts and bits is BTF's own version of the Caletvwlch to be completed as well.

I had already started and stopped on these two a while back when I completed the RG Blue Frame. Back when the idea was to just build ONE Astray before I got the F.M. Powered girl kit.

20240101_203759.jpg

I painted the entire set of hands. *ignore the unpainted one in the corner. My last attempt on this resulted in a trip to the now closed replacement parts shop mechapartsguy for a new face plate.

20240101_134405.jpg

One of the first things I didn't like with the RG Astray mold was its face. The white mask's chin was too long and the browline is so flat and low it hangs over the model's eyes and make it look bored. I shaved into the brow at a slight angle to widen the space in front of the eyes and filed the edges smooth. *Pic here was taken before finishing*

Flashback to 2017 for the results when I did it for the Blue Frame.

20170204_213840-1.jpg

You can see the results of shaving the chin up to the cheekline.

Back in the present, I separated the skeletal frames, even disconnecting the feet from the ankles to start the full process.

20240101_202807.jpg

Building the kits from the feet first.

20240101_202716.jpg

Some primer for painting the soles red. Meanwhile the top of the feet and ankles are in place.

20240101_225906.jpg

Detailing Astrays, Tamiya panel line accent does all the hard work for me. Some clean up to do later of course.

One other thing I was annoyed by was Bandai's idea to split the parts for the ankle guard in an asymmetrical position instead of doing it down the middle or not at all.

20240101_220612.jpg

I assembled them and cemented the seams. I'm letting them hang to dry overnight.

While I sorted through the parts, I pulled out the components I was painting for the Powered Red upgrade and got to thinking about detailing the swords and sheaths.

20240101_194309.jpg

That's where I got creative with my clear red acrylic accent.

20240101_195710.jpg

I decided to use it in the pommel and guard to outline the relief molded artwork. I will go over the demon masks with my full concentration clear red paint to make them look jeweled compared to the matte red on the Astrays themselves.

20240101_200732.jpg

Same process will be done for the diamond pattern on the handles.

One last thing was I used the clear red accent for setting my paint border on the back of the shield.

20240101_204310.jpg

As said, I painted the central back area of the shield before the last time I stopped. It's much cleaner than using black accent.

• Like Like x 5
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So I finished my little pet project “MG Gundam Unicorn (Unicorn Mode)”. :lol  I went a little beyond my original intent of just painting the exposed pink bits. I ended up painting most of the Psychoframe “deactivated” silver and cemented anything that wasn’t a rock solid connection, as well as the interior of the head gunmetal to hide all the pink and negate the soft glow that comes through the plastic. I also made a modification to the ankles where I disconnected the flap from its hinge and just glued it to the foot, freeing up movement, and I modified the armour around the knees and elbows for greater movement. (Though it’s still not perfect the way the joints themselves are designed)

I actually dig it a lot more now. Once you factor out the many moving parts of the transformation, especially in Unicorn mode when it’s all compact and layered up, it’s a pretty hefty and solid kit. I’ve always loved Unicorn mode and with the HG wasn’t so old and outdated (physically and visually) I would’ve picked one up just to have this oft-forgotten aspect of the suit on display. I will ask, though, does anyone know of properly scaled replacement fix-posed hands that will fit this kit? I absolutely hate the old-style hands it still uses. :/ Cementing can’t fix those fiddly mittens.

This has also made me decide that I will, one day, do the same to the Banshee. Buy two and fix them both in each mode. (With a proper paint job, of course) Banshee isn’t that expensive on Mandarake when it’s available, so I’m sure eventually I can score two for a decent price.

• Like Like x 3
  4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ahhh my two PGs. I think I'll make these end-of-year buys. That being said my condition has been revealed that I need coronary bypass surgery so I think I'll hit myself up with another PG during recovery. Astray maybe? Or just go with Unicorn?

1000015721.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Diversify! Astray, Mk2, Unleashed, Zeta, 00, Exia, it's your choice. We're with you.

• Like Like x 3
  6. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    My yearly recap. Still cant get past 12 builds a year :cry  It was a good year though and I got some kits built that I have wanted for a while like the Impulse, EX-S, Stark Jegan, and Stormbringer. The Forbidden and Strike I still need to take pics. The Strike I barely managed to finish before the end of 2023.

2023%20Builds%20(1).jpeg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
  7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Good luck, man!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Finally finished building the "Sazabi v2.0" I got for Christmas. Left the stickers off because I'm planning an extensive paint job for it with glossy blacks and possibly candy apple reds.
    1000006662.jpg 1000006663.jpg
    I like the build, but it's pretty fiddly as far as joints and moving pieces. It's almost a chore to pose it without parts shifting or falling off.
    In particular, I really hate the hip connections.

• Like Like x 4
  9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    We need a Sinanju revamp badly.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Considering the new Stein with its separated relief molded scrolling and keyway parts design, it might actually happen eventully. They could even upscale the Real Grade's armor and stack it onto an MG frame.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The separated chrome gold relief and glossy red were the only good parts of that kit, I’d love to see those translated to 1/100. (And obviously on a not-fragile model)

Im excited for the new Narrative Sinanju Stein especially if it retains all the extra parts the last version did. (Like the grey frame and extra beam rifle)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    The "anime" version has more spare parts than it knows what to do with with. Bandai should wise up to not printing so many duplicate runners a third time.

13. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Wing Zero EW or Unicorn Perfectibility? angel looks to boost motivation! :D 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Avoid the Wing Zero. It's just not worth the PG size.

• Like Like x 2
  15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I actually built that the year it came out. I have two ages of Gunpla...the period from about 1996 to 2001 when I was living in a different house and I had partially built the PGs Char's Zaku II and WZC. Barely any of these kits survived two moves. Then no Gunpla until 2014-2015 when I was raging so much about Combiner Ears when I returned to Gunpla.

I say this because I definitely agree that WZC isn't actually worth it. It kinda sucks looking back at it.

I think the Chad move will be going with PG Unleashed. It's too badass to skip.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

I had a dream that Bandai revealed an Entry Grade GM based off the EG RX-78... It was a bit more expensive but still cheap and it wasn't even PBandai exclusive(that's where I should've realized I was dreaming...) and I was gonna preorder a whole damn order of 12 on ShowZ and when I went to checkout, the site told me they were already sold out. >.<

Goddamnit Bandai, make an EG army builder already and print some money for yourselves.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    The choice is yours, just have fun building it. I was thinking of building the Red Frame Kai at *some* point this year myself.

---
    I realized I was stupid with what I did to the Real Grades' sword parts. My idea from last night was a bust on the first coat so I stripped the parts for the sword handles and started over the right way.

My mistake was thinking the metallic injection would give me the look I wanted through clear paint but it just didn't look good. So I grabbed the bottle of Testors Aztek pearl red and painted over everything I wanted to shine.

20240102_200644.jpg

The pearl red worked better against the metallic gold.

20240102_212531.jpg

That's more like what I wanted.

20240102_213150.jpg

The 1:100 scale blade to the left was the spare (duplicate) Tiger Pierce that came with the P.Bandai original Red Frame (with the traditional Astray backpack, rifle, and shield) that I dechromed and painted in flat silver and Pledge dipped for the gloss finish a long while ago. I just put it aside with the Real Grade Reds figuring I'd paint them all eventually.

20240102_232733.jpg

Accented in black, it contrasts between the red and gold.

20240102_232913.jpg

I'll finish accenting the handles the next time I .... handle them.

As for the Red Frame pair, I applied the first coat of paint on the feet and back ends of the ankle armor.

20240102_233651.jpg

My "Red Comet" mix was made for this.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  18. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    What camera do you use to take these pictures? It almost makes RG parts look like they're a sane size.

19. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    My cellphone. The Samsung Galaxy S9 has a great, reliable camera. I zoom in to almost 2x magnification and tap on the area I want to focus on.

20. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    A couple hours later....

Had to go to Tractor Supply for cow treats, made an impulse purchase from Hobby Lobby.

20240103_124106.jpg

Because GP01.

EDIT!

You know, sloppy paintwork on these Converge figures are expected but this is a crime.

20240103_133711.jpg

I can deal with the haphazard painting on the body and absent colors, but you never mess with the face of perfection.

Some elbow grease and thinner, and a quick slap of duckegg blue and white later...

20240103_134612.jpg

...and finish with a Gundammarker.

20240103_135106.jpg

Fixed forever. Now it goes on the shelf next to the GP04, and all I need is to wait and find a GP03 and GP02.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 4