Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Lean Mean Angry Machine

News Credits:
    I'd say no for the Sazabi simply because of the price. Yes, the old HGUC is a bit dated but its also not going to cost you nearly as much, plus from my own personal experience you might actually be able to swap the weapons, whereas my RG Saz had the wrist peg snap simply trying to remove the damn thing. Plus, there's aesthetics - as the name implies, Real Grade is designed to look real, so you have segmented plates, opening parts, etc. but that may not necessarily be what people want. Between the HGUC and the RG, the HGUC one still looks more like the one actually in Char's Counter Attack. Likewise for the old PG - it's not as nearly complex, but if you aren't going to display all the opening hatches or want it looking that realistic, the old one is likely a slightly cheaper option.

A better example would be Char's Zaku II because that glorious bastard has two variants within two semi-different lines, that being HGUC and Origin, though with Origin it really is just the same kit with different stickers (compared to how there are two Char's Zaku I kits that actually ARE physically different in minor ways, mainly color). The original HGUC Char's Zaku II is one of the earliest offerings and is extremely dated compared to the recent Revive which has an entire rubber skirt option purely for leg clearance in certain poses, namely all the kicking Char does (to the point this is literally the box art). In this case, unless you want the vintage experience of the true original HGUC kit, there's absolutely no reason for getting the first kit as there's nothing it offers the Revive doesn't do a zillion times better. Similar cases would be the Blue Destiny Gundams, since they just offer so much more like options on Unit 1 for manga or game head details. By the same token - and indeed, the same model as the Blue Destiny units - the old Ground Gundam isn't as nice as the newer one, but if you don't need all the fancy new tricks the newer one does, the old one is still perfectly serviceable with a little work.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    for me, you buy what you like or you buy what you can afford, simple as that. That's why I got the old 1/60 No-Grade Exia and 1/100 No-Grade Kyrios and Virtue (also partially because their MG versions didn't exist yet), they were just cheaper and still brought in the same amount of volume they'd take up on a shelf if I got the expensive versions.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    For me it's largely yes. I don't tend to buy older kits when there's a new iteration available. Not all the time, but most of the time.

Mostly yes because I love advancement in technology and the benefits that bring. For instance, take the HGUC 1 Guncannon and HGUC 2 Gyan.

In the case of the Guncannon, unless you really need to have the rocket launchers, the HGUC 190 Revive versions blows it out of the water. Better proportions, details, and articulation. Same for the Revive Gyan. I have both my original and the Revive Gyan and there's no comparison. The Revive is everything the old HGUC is but an order of magnitude more articulation.

I also do think many old kits still stand the test of time. I got the HG Astraea and it's nice. The RG Exias may be well articulated but it's also an old RG with the B-Runner internal frame...it gets loose over time. The HG is honestly still pretty good.

So I guess I will generally say that while I'll prefer a newer version over an older one, if reviews aren't super positive in the new kit I might look at the old one with a different mindset.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fr33domgundam

Fr33domgundam Well-Known Member

While I personally mostly buy the latest versions/iterations of a suit, I don't think that a newer version makes the old one obsolete in the majority of cases.

Kits come in all sorts of pricepoints that you get whatever you want in terms of budget, aesthetics and complexity.
    Especially if you're jumping from one grade to another. An MG doesn't necessarily replace a 1/100, or an RG doesn't necessarily replace an HG. It's just options depending on what you want.
    MGs and RGs are usually just "cooler", but 1/100s and HGs are usually closer to the animation model.

Also, depending on what the changes are, modding an RG/MG can potentially be significantly more complex/tedious than a HG/1-100; something like a thigh/forearm extension is much easier on the less-complex version of the kit.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

Speaking of "not replacing." I finally have a new Jack Russell puppy, and she has a Gundam reference name.

Say hello, Haro!

20211026_140536.jpg

Saying the name in a whimpery sound got her attention at the breeder's home, and it fits. First because it's a name that she likes, and two, her fur pattern is like a Haro's ear flaps.

20211026_124140.jpg

Also this... See! She's already set to take over maneuvering controls while I snipe!

• Like Like x 12
  6. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a JR as well! She is 13 now and used to kill everything in the backyard but has mellowed a little now and doesn't bug the squirrels or birds anymore. They are great doggos!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

They really are some of the best. This is my second Jack Russell. When I lost Brite last month, he was 16 years old. My forum posts notwithstanding it left me an emotional wreck.

8. X-Arachnis

X-Arachnis Well-Known Member

Just something non-gunpla but one freaky little kit, a 1/72 XP-79B Flying Ram... Shouldn't take too much effort, detail is sparse but then, it's not like they can crawl all over the real deal.... IMG_20211024_035024.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Revoticus

Revoticus Still a Big Combaticon fan

The highlight suits from the 1st episode of Gundam Wing
    IMG_20211026_180601.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    I'm gonna disagree with this specific example. I've had multiples of the old HGUC kit and both have had issues with joints cracking, so I say skip the old one if for that reason alone. Furthermore while it's serviceable if this issue is ignored, it does lack the flexibility to make kneeling with the 180mm gun nearly as easy to pull off without sufficient modification. And lastly the hands are just a lot more solid on the revive kit.

I would on the other hand reccommend the old 1996 HG kit for one reason... it's the only official kit or figure(so far) that has the antenna array on the left side of it's head.
    Rx-79g-periscope.png [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Two fantastic kits, yet polar opposites. One is a brilliantly efficient speed build meant for building an army, the other a meticulous detailed kit meant to steal the show. Building them back-to-back should be interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    added the rear stabilizer tail and the cockpit chest armor.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I will see if I have time after dinner tomorrow to continue making the shoulders, then the thrusters.

• Like Like x 3
  13. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    This special edition HGUC RX-78-2 Gundam for Japan Expo Dubai is more than just a remold of the HGUC Revive kit.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Revoticus

Pretty straightforward build and I love it!
    IMG_20211027_180729.jpg
    It actually takes me back to the old 1/144 Wing, G & X kits with how some parts are made of 2 parts at most but with a few modern flair like on the feet and the head for color separation.

IMG_20211027_175232.jpg
    The gun accepts Siege blast effects, fun.

IMG_20211027_174919.jpg
    Articulation is top notch despite being made of few parts except for the head obviously.

IMG_20211027_181944.jpg
    I might be the only one who thinks the Leo looks 'cute'. The square face gives off that unassuming and innocent feel to it.

IMG_20211027_181836.jpg
    I love this, massive points to the designers making the Leo an easy and colorful straight build. It actually makes me want to build more of it since you don't have to paint it to have a good looking army.

• Like Like x 4
  15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nah, I always thought the Leo could be both adorable and intimidating under the right circumstances. It's a fantastic design that is neutral yet malleable with context. Looming over civilians in masses it seems emotionless and monolithic with its simple square visor and plain shape, but against a larger and more detailed Gundam it looks meek. I always considered it the best grunt suit in all of Gundam.

• Like Like x 4
  16. joncbenn

joncbenn Groovy

Well Amazon sent me 2 MG Epyons by mistake. What should I do? Send one back or barter a trade?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revoticus

Even compared to the fan favorite Zaku?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

or even the RGM-89 JEGAN?!? (sorry, late-80's MS design is where it is totally at for me, GUNDAM-wise)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm gonna be honest, but I've never been the hugest fan of the Zaku. It's overdone and a bit goofy, looking too much like a typical bad guy and while the "gas mask" face and asymmetrical shoulders are iconic, I always thought the Zaku's actual body was ugly. The Gouf, IMO, achieves the same intent but with far better execution.

Leos are perfect grunt fodder because they're entirely neutral. They don't look like bad guys, they don't look like good guys. They look like rugged, military machines with no frills and utilitarian purpose. They're faceless and apathetic in their design.

• Like Like x 5
  20. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Is it just me or do the Zurgbots in the new Buzz Lightyear movie look... familiar. Particularly in the legs.
    Screenshot_20211027-115157~3.png

• Like Like x 4