Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

I need to stop second guessing myself when I'm right the first time. I disconnected the leg thrusters and repainted the trenched line in dark gray again, it covered up for messy ink work. Then added something I meant to do when I started them.

20211013_203502.jpg

Don't mind the sloppy edges, those got cleaned up once they were attached.

20211013_204513.jpg

The one thing missing right now from the legs are the vernier nozzles. I'm putting them off until much later since they're getting painted and I want to treat them all at once.

The large hip skirts are also missing their vernier nozzles once I connect the white stripe-rings and center caps... but before I do though.. there's just something to be said how .. goofy these look right when I took this picture.

20211013_214818.jpg

They're like Dory painted tribal masks with the late Robin Williams' chin... and now nobody can unsee that!!!!!
    Those are done, now back to the legs, I set on the joint covers, and what I'm assuming are balancing nozzle plates on the outsides of the legs.

20211013_233434.jpg

Some accent drying in them for the night, and paint to touch up afterwards.

Since I started on the arms, I finished painting all of the knuckles with expected mistakes to mop off as usual.

20211013_233540.jpg

Daytime hours tomorrow will be on the hayfield, but this gives me a moment to plan how I paint this some more. Until next session, the MkV is getting swole and can't fit on the Machine Base I use for kits on the bench. So empty turntable it is!

20211013_233726.jpg

Which is of course still enclosed by the 1:60 maintenance cage, where the finished components hang from the racks and other finished subassemblies are rested.

One thing to be said is the white really pops on this kit. It's plain white plastic, with areas that I painted, but it stands out on the dark and cobalt blue surfaces.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

There is always some set up time. I have a dedicated area and even then I need to: plug the compressor tank, wait for the compressor to fill up, put the vent on the window, cover the open parts of the window so no hot/cold air comes in the room. Sometimes if its just one or two pieces I'll use canned primer so I don't have to set up the compressor.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Fr33domgundam

Fr33domgundam Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's always been just a little setup time.
    Even before my operating table (ie, my hobby/building-desk) became my working-from-home desk, I'd at least need to connect the vent to the open window (I make full panel replacements with foam-core board, so it's usually just open the curtain, wedge the whole foam-core board with the spray-booth exhaust already connected to it, and open the window). But at least back then, my compressor, airbrush, and spray-booth were always just there and connected.

Now my setup process is:
    - disconnect my right-most monitor and move it elsewhere
    - move my work laptop and primary monitor aside (they're on movable swinging-arms, so I just swing them out of the way)
    - move my keyboard and mouse off the desk to somewhere else
    - put spraybooth on desk
    - connect exhaust duct to spraybooth
    - open window, put in exhaust-connected foam-core board into window-frame
    - connect airbrush to compressor (I installed a quick-disconnect between the airbrush and hose)
    - turn everything on

Then do my airbrushing. Then do the reverse to clean up and turn it back into my WFH desk.

4. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea I can see how that can be a hassle :( 

5. Hadlen_Weltall

The idea I had last night but couldn't get to until tonight takes shape.

20211014_213636.jpg

Some panel line accent to give me the outlines and a primer coat.
    Then I decided since I'm making this many panels turn white, I needed to just make a full bottle of it.

20211014_225500.jpg

It's an equal parts mixture of Testors Semi-Gloss White and my "Gunpla White" which is Flat White and Light Gray.

After a shake up to mix, the first coat.

20211015_000634.jpg

Smooth over a primed surface but on unprimed surfaces, a few light coats will do fine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hadlen_Weltall

Mail's here from ShowZ, but it doesn't have any instructions.. I've sent them a message asking about that. It came in a box bigger than I expected and there was nothing in there besides the bags of runners.

20211015_175834.jpg

obvious wings and Zwerg parts.

20211015_175850.jpg

I'm no stranger to Repetition again.

and what looks like brass gun barrel parts included with the joint parts.

20211015_175902.jpg

I've already told my sister to tell the kids, "Wing Zero is about to become Snow White Prelude!" (but not right now.)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

I really love this dark blue plastic
    IMG_20211016_095333.jpg
    Also like this redesign of the Kampfer.

• Like Like x 7
  8. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fr33domgundam

Fr33domgundam Well-Known Member

Been really bad at working on the MG F90 II.

First half of the inner-frame parts were painted the weekend of September 11th.
    Then got busy helping my friend out with his wedding (the same guy who was supposed to group-build with me, and I was his best-man), and then a job change, so there was a lot of "no time for Gunpla".
    Second half of the inner-frame parts were done today.

[​IMG]

Frame was done mostly in Tamiya LP-19 (regular) Gunmetal, with some accent parts in Mr.Color #61 Burnt Iron, to which my friend told me that I spent way too much effort coming up with a color scheme that will mostly be covered up.
    Shield and rifle parts were mostly in Tamiya LP-19 Light Gunmetal, also Mr.Color #61 Burnt Iron for accent parts.

Onto final assembly this weekend!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hadlen_Weltall

It was a hurry up and wait kind of day, first for a feed supply delivery and finally meet up with a tire company to replace both rear tires on the JD 6300 warhorse in the middle of the hayfield (my dad blew it out after 27 years)... so I did some minor priming just to come home tonight and start painting.

20211016_000715.jpg

Bottling my pan mix saved a lot of time this evening to give everything a second coat. I still ration it in the paint pan, and of course I missed painting two parts that I had primed earlier. Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sages

sages Well-Known Member

Well, just watched this.

Not safe for work, nudity involved BTW.:D 

• Like Like x 2
  12. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Awaiting Legacy Armada Side-Swipe to be a thing

News Credits:
    NGL, I find myself enjoying this Robot Damashii RX-78-2 Ver. ANIME quite a bit.

IMG_20211016_203700.jpg
    IMG_20211016_212446.jpg
    IMG_20211016_205920.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Zoingo

Zoingo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  14. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    I just saw this Daban PG Avalanche Exia Repair I and suddenly I want to sell my NG 1/60 Exia and buy an Avalanche for my Powerlinx Exia Prime plans as the Super Mode[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  15. Gabriel Contreras

Gabriel Contreras After 5 years of lurking I finally made an account

News Credits:
    oh yeah i completely forgot about this. It's tempting but unsure as to how good a Wave model kit is in terms of building. Also, when did this go up because i dont remember anyone talking about it?

16. Zoingo

Zoingo Well-Known Member

HLJ Just posted about it today on their twitter, so it's brand new. https://twitter.com/hobbylink/status/1449375110301896711
    As for the manufacturer, I'm unsure as well, but think I may be willing to take that risk.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hadlen_Weltall

I think in this case it's just like that Tekkaman Blade model by Orange Cat Industry. Wave is just the distributor. Kind of like how Eastern Model has kits from Morstorm Iron Man armors and Dimensions Studio Ultraman series. I still need to build those kits but the plastic quality looks good

• Like Like x 2
  18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    So, new Gundam Base model - the CLEAR VARGUIL
    [​IMG]

A bit weird on this one since this is effectively the P-Bandai release, just in clear, so if you coated all the clear parts in solid paint, there really wouldn't be any difference.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hadlen_Weltall

I mentioned this a month ago when they unveiled the clear RG Zeong. But they know clear kits sell just as much as being exclusive to begin with .

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  20. Hadlen_Weltall

After a day on the hayfield, I finally get back to work on last night's progress.
    Forearm armor is painted and detailed, and fit into place.
    I did have to backtrack a few times because I missed a few details in the frame I needed to paint, and there was also gray paint on the back end of the wrist covers that I didn't need for a seam since one doesn't exist. It's just an intentional gap.

20211016_224640.jpg

Painting the three raised trapezoids on the outsides of the arms worked into painting to match the white shapes in the knees, but painting the upper panel was an impulse decision.

Slide on the shoulder covers and the arms are done for the most part.

20211016_231019.jpg

I should get to the chest, but I have more work already started on the backpack to finish.

20211016_230901.jpg

In the meanwhile, I cashed out a USA Gundam Store coupon I got for the shipping notice for my nephew's birthday present I preordered months ago; the Imaginary Skeleton Tyrannosaurus Rex and a couple pairs of Entry Nippers for him and my niece (for the Hello Kitty SD Gundam set I bought her from the Expo).

I had to laugh because my preorder shipment is on its way and scheduled for delivery by Monday at the earliest, and this came in today after I ordered it Wednesday.

20211016_195504.jpg

I know this technically belongs in the ZOIDS thread, but it came from one of my usual Gunpla sources and I never realized they had the ZA kits. It was actually much cheaper than trying to get an officially licensed Kotobukiya version, which is much smaller (ZA kit is 1:50 scale, Koto is 1:72). Also, there is a much more considerable amount of independently injection molded detail parts than its official counterpart.

I'm glad I don't have arachnophobia.

• Like Like x 2