Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. malfet

malfet Tiny Plastic Robot

If you're going to keep pre-thinned paints on hand, I strongly recommend doing it with only a small amount at a time unless you plan on using the entire bottle relatively quickly. You can always make another batch, but if an entire bottle goes to shit, that's an entire bottle. Its also easier to measure ratios out with it straight. And I've found (at least with acrylic) that flats, gloss, and metallics all thin at slightly different ratios and sometimes I need to add an extra drop or two of thinner in the cup if its not spraying the way I want. I've also actually switched to keeping some premixed paints inside dropper bottles. They're just the right size for small batches and it can go directly into my cup without the fuss of needing to pour out of the bottle.

2. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    These pictures are another frustrating reminder of the fact that no model or figure of the Virgo exists... GET ON IT ALREADY, BANDAI!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    *oogles Target.com, searches "Gundam," selects "sold by Target," sees Barbatos available to ship to my store/address, available for In-Store Pick Up in Tallahassee.

Neat!!
    -

I'd like to take a moment to welcome the newest member of the Moobile Sweeties!! Jegan delivered me a heifer!

20200516_152830.jpg

I've got the breeding records to show the father is Grayson, the champion Hybrid, So she's a "G" type. Now to find the right name...
    "Can't call her Gustav, or Nemo, or Jim... how do you like "Zeta?"

20200516_152753.jpg

"Uumoo!!"
    Ha! her ears perked up at that one... Okay, "Zeta!"

20200516_195817.jpg

She tucks up into calf-nap Wave Rider mode after sprinting around her mother all evening.

• Like Like x 7
  4. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Continuing on with my RE/100 GP04G progress, I went building the Gundam itself first and surprisingly, the straight-build of the Gundam itself didn't take that long to do at all; If you just went and straight build this kit without any painting or panel-lining whatsoever, you can genuinely finish this kit in half a day; I did went and add some panel-lining and painting on the bot itself, and the more simplified build does allows for more straightforward painting that won't take forever to do.

The build itself feels more on the basic "function over form" side, and the difficulty sits somewhere between something like a NG 1/100 kit and your average MG kit. The only part that has anything resembles an "inner frame" are the waist unit, the upper legs, and some section of the feet, but this isn't that big of a deal for a RE/100 kit and its still better than those early MGs from the 1990's which doesn't even have anything resembles an inner frame at all on any part, I'll give it that.

IMG_20200517_180717.jpg IMG_20200517_180802.jpg

Consider that the idea behind the RE/100 kits are 1/100 scale kits meant more for lesser-known designs with Master Grade like appearance; The Gundam GP04G itself looks incredibly good for a RE/100 kit, and the surface detail all over this kit does makes this kit looks like a Master Grade in terms of its looks (maybe not current MG level awesome looking, but good enough for it to be displayed side by side with something like the older MG 0083 kits without looking out of place).

Some of the RE/100 kits like the Jadg Dogo or Vigna Ghina II feels nothing more than 1/100 scale pre-2010s High Grades, but the Gundam GP04G itself does manages everything it intended quite well. I can see whysome see this kit as one of the better RE/100 kits available.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  5. sages

sages Well-Known Member

Working on Gustav Karl a bit.
    The kit has same size hand as GM III and Jegan which looks off to me. The L size HD hands pair much better.

[​IMG]

Sanded down the cheekbones and armour around the chin. Surface is still a little rough but looks better than the stock.
    [​IMG]

Also started a GM III for recolour.
    [​IMG]
    Since my Tamiya toothpaste putty was unsalvageable, I got a new one in white colour.
    The white colour putty feels a little different.
    Haven't used toothpaste putty for almost 3 years so can't be certain about that.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    9B6EFC45-B07A-42E4-B4E1-9686AE162A92.jpeg
    Yep went for groceries and found Barbatos, kinda surreal that’s it’s been nearly 20 years since gundam kits could be found at target

• Like Like x 7
  7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    This is literally the first time in four years since I left the position of backroom guy that vaguely wish I still had my job at Target.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    [
    Cool. nice score! I'll have to wait and see what eventually shows up in the desert I call town.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I wonder if, since we don't have Targets, TRU may pick up Gunpla in Canada? They seem to carry the same stuff in that area.

10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I honestly hope they do, since Canada gets screwed the hardest when it comes to getting Gunpla in the west.

• Like Like x 2
  11. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    With my HG Gundam AGE-1 Normal would soon arrive to my doorsteps in these 2 days, I might as well continuing on with my RE/100 GP04G while waiting...

IMG_20200518_095410.jpg

Just like what I did previously with my RE/100 Gundam MK-III, I went and painted the underside of the skirt armor pieces with some gray paint to give it a less toy-ish look (Just OOB, the undersides are just hollow and flat white which isn't the most aesthetically pleasing look).

IMG_20200518_095458.jpg

At the same time, I also added some panel-lining and weathering paint wash on the backpack unit (As well as the beam saber hilts) to highlight some of the details; This is such as well-detailed looking kit that could displayed side by side with most MG kits, so adding some panel-lining and paint would've further bring out the subtle detailing all over this kit.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So I emailed P-Bandai US a couple of days ago about shipping to Canada. They said they used to, now they don’t, and they’re not going to.

No explanation, no reason, just sterile corporate “fuck you.” Assoles.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Rarely have I seen a company so allergic to money as I do Bandai.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Looks really good. You're finding out why I spent the extra time to paint mine as well. The added color really brings out the depth of the design than the straight out of the box look.

re_100_gp04_gundam_gerbera_by_generalmechanics-d9v88bc.jpg

Red vernier nozzles is a "0083" standard, but to get those right also meant painting the Gerbera's preexisting red parts too. My idea to add blue onto the binders really makes a difference to the solid white look of the original, especially with those vents that need to get painted. The blue ankle armor was my way of masking over cement bonding. I'm not a fan of Bandai's recent trend of how they split those parts at the bias instead of molding it in a full "U" shape.. I'm doing the same thing on all of my GM kits that have that... speaking of..

20200517_202038.jpg

It's been a few days since my last share of progress due to long farm work days on the hayfields besides picking on Zeta in the pasture.. setting myself on track to finish *FINALLY* the Sniper II. I've made some touch ups to finish painting the rifle and machine gun. You can appreciate how the Wave H-Eye sight piece set in nicely and fits with the lens I added onto the sniper rifle too.
    A side note, I was looking at the White Dingo again and I'm kind of disappointed it didn't come with this same rifle as the original Sniper. It makes sense that it instead comes with the basic Ground Type weapons including its beam sniper rifle, but a part of me wishes is came with this rifle so I could paint the stock differently... anyway, moving on I'm getting to the armor now, and adding more paint as I go.

20200517_204138.jpg

Consider the trial and failure in the upper well of the paint pan, getting this color right took some effort. Since it's just a one time recipe for this kit I only made enough for one sitting. I didn't think I was done with it, so I had the genius idea to put some packaging tape over the well after putting in a drop of thinner just to settle above the paint. It managed to actually preserve this batch overnight, and I was able to finish using it tonight.

You'll also see some water got under the tape and created a slight moisture seal in the paint. I wicked the excess water that got onto my still wet paint and managed to get away with this last second addition of color. A habit of mine is I set my ice water glass in the center of my paint pans to act as a source of moisture for sanding by using the condensation off the outside of the glass.

Meanwhile, the other bonus project of Earthree finally takes shape.. well, mostly just the Core Gundam at this point.

20200517_220447.jpg

You really don't appreciate just how small this kit is until you're trying to paint inside those ankle sprockets that become the Planet Armor knees.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  15. parrothead

parrothead Well-Known Member

So are Master Grade AGE kits just impossible to find at a decent price? Really looking for the Double Bullet.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Master Grade printings usually go in cycles, so it's possible we're in a fallow period where the last run of them has started to dry up. They'll be readily available again soon enough.

17. parrothead

parrothead Well-Known Member

I sure hope so. Thank you

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The kit that I was SOL for awhile was the MG V Gundam. I initially passed on it during its initial run because I wasn't familiar with it and it didn't do enough to catch my eye. But over the years, as my collection built up, I realized I was very close to completing a set of all the main Gundams in MG, and V became that glaring omission when stocks dried up. It was only this last month that I managed to snag it when I noticed by chance that it was suddenly available at Hobby Search.

Speaking of which, after the RG Zeta, that was my second quick-build of this quarantine season. It's definitely an.... interesting piece of engineering. Katoki definitely overdesigned the hell out of the thing for what it needed to do, which leads to a ton of internal craziness for its small-sized frame. I really like its super-sleek looks, though. Which is good, because that's all it really has going for it, outside if its somewhat goofy transformation mechanics. The way it breaks down into its separate components means it's a total brick for a "modern" Master Grade, with absolutely zero torso or waist articulation, and incredibly limited hips.

19. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

Now debating whether to order a Uraven Gundam n GM Sniper k9, or wait till after my pre-ordered 30MM Exa Vehicle kits are out.. this is a toughie! hehe

20. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    My HG Gundam AGE-1 Normal just arrived, right in time when I decided to take a bit of a break from working on my RE/100 GP04G...

IMG_20200518_174915.jpg

The Box-art is your standard HG AGE kits flair, with the shiny "HG Gundam AGE" logo, the logo for Mobile Suit Gundam AGE series, and all sorts of names or description at the left side, while an artwork of the MS itself was featured and takes up almost the entire right side, as if it is "asserting dominance".

IMG_20200518_175119.jpg IMG_20200518_175145.jpg

Aside from the blue "Bandai Spirits" logo (Indicating that this is a current reissues rather than its original release from 2011 which bears the older red Bandai logo) at the lower right side of the box, everything else kinda remains the same (Including all of the Japanese descriptions, unlike more modern kits which also features English descriptions).

This is quite a thin box for a High Grade 1/144 scale kit, so I don't think this build would take long to do. I'll probably just straight build this kit and does some panel-lining on it, just for a more casual relaxing build and take a break from building 3 1/100 scale kits back and forth before this.

• Like Like x 3