Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

Surprised, I know. Like I said, when I first saw the silhouette I thought it was the G-Self and its skinny flight pack but then I realized the broad square shoulders, flat angled heel, and the points from its head going in the wrong direction. Turns out it's the Jet Windam.

2. infinite_virtue

infinite_virtue Well-Known Member

To be honest, that was me for a few years. Not so much because of things being P-Bandai but because no releases really interested me so I didn't buy kits for years. A couple years ago the spark was reignited and I have relatively larger backlog than I normally ever had so I maybe it was nice to take a break for a bit. Haha. I also been trying to restrict myself from buying more kits until I've gotten through more of my backlog.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I don’t have a backlog. I’ve never had a backlog. I could buy a kit and sit on it for months and have it built before the next purchase. The idea of a backlog for me is just insane.

It’s just a miserable experience. There’s no joy left in the hobby. What kits do fall into my realm of interest are usually compromised in some way or more effort than they’re worth. I have the RG Nu Gundam on the way and I’m honestly completely ambivalent to the idea of building it. I might get a backlog just because I have no drive to build the kits I have preordered because I know the future of this hobby is bleak.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Bandai's behavior with the Efreet in particular is absolutely, mind-bogglingly stupid. The only one that's a mass release is the Efreet Schnieed, which I think is the least popular of them all simply because its only real gimmick is being loaded down with heat knives and a bazooka. It barely even does anything beyond take out a GM II Semi-Striker in the OVA, the sole reason the suit even got a kit.

Meanwhile, the other variants which are actually cool - the EXAM Kai; which has leg rocket launchers and the twin heat swords, the Nacht; which is basically a goddamn robot ninja with a forearm gun AND kunai AND a longsword, and even the standard issue one which has a shotgun - you could count on one hand the number of mobile suits that have a shotgun across the entire Gundam franchise, that's how rare a weapon it is (off the top of my head, the only other two suits with shotguns I can name? standard Kampfer and the Astaroth Origin) - are all P-Bandai. Two video game bosses AND a standard issue mook variant. P-Bandai!

And to twist the knife, Bandai even went so far as to include in the instructions for the Blue Destiny Unit 01 kit an advertisement for the goddamn EXAM Efreet. Which was already out of production before they ever rolled out the Blue Destiny Gundam revives. And to my knowledge, they have not re-issued it SINCE.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    To be fair, for the short time the Schneid was seen onscreen... the fact is it was seen onscreen in a major piece of media, and as much as we love the video game side stories that doesn't really hold a candle to appearing in an OVA movie. Now why the BD gundam units avoided the p-bandai noose I can't figure.

6. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

Man, I love how easy it's gotten to get P-Bandai kits. just ordered the Tallgeese III, Leo weapon set, and
    HAZE’N-THLEY II-RAH from Bluefin for a song

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    You don't understand the other problem with P-Bandai, though - good luck trying to get Waterproof Gundam or the Uma Lightning Gegloog MG for their original prices.

With regular releases, you can always find them if you look hard enough. With P-Bandai, the very production runs are limited in addition to their inflated prices. It's artificial supply controls simply to milk anything that isn't truly main-line (and even if they ARE mainline worthy I.E. the GM Sniper which should have had a release decades before the GM Guard type nobody wanted nor asked for) and it just makes it difficult for people outside of Japan to readily access the kits the same way people in Japan can.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AgentOrange

Oh, I understand it just fine. I just don't think it's a problem. If I want it, I buy it. If I need to pay a premium for it, I weigh the cost against my desire and either pay it or don't. If there's nothing out I want but P Bandai I either buy the P Bandai or I shrug and stop buying things til there's something that does interest me. Doesn't bother me any more than any other retailer or con exclusive

9. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

With all of the P-Bandai releases as of late, I've been (worriedly) wondering: is Gunpla in a rough spot in Japan? Is that why we've had all of these mediocre build/Dive series, in an effort to resurrect the dying Gunpla market? I really fear of the possibility that within the next decade or so, Bandai will decide to discontinue all retail restocks of old Gundam kits or something due to the market aging out and not being profitable to maintain.

Or, is it just them simply worried about overstocking retailers with potentially less popular suits?

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, Gunpla as a whole is still huge in Japan and Asia. The UC fandom isn't going anywhere fast. Bandai's just been having trouble trying to capture a new audience to expand their market.

11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    You completely ignored his point about production numbers and availability, though.

The price is just one problem, sometimes you can’t even find what you’re looking for. You have to scour auction sites and pay a markup for something that should’ve been a mass release because everyone’s bought them all up and there’s no reissues. There’s far fewer avenues for P-Bandai then regular kits.

Especially outside the US. No Bluefin for me. I had to get my Tallgeese III from Mandarake for a 30% markup, and I considered myself lucky. (by the way, it’s typically seen as poor form to mockingly laude the ease of which you can acquire something amidst others bemoaning their near total inability)

• Like Like x 2
  12. AgentOrange

I ignored it because there's literally never been a single P Bandai item I haven't been able to find on eBay. The only things I've ever had trouble locating are decades discontinued B Club resin kits or magazine exclusive promos like the pre-P Bandai Advance of Zeta stuff. And I'm not arrogant enough to think I know what should or shouldn't be mass release. Bandai has the numbers, I don't. I'd have thought the GM Sniper should have been mass release but the MG sold like shit so it was rightly made an exclusive in HG. Bandai wants to make money and they know their market better than any consumer ever will. If it makes something harder for me, oh well. I either feel it's worth my effort or I shrug and move on to the next item

13. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    No surprise that we are getting a HG for the Tertium Gundam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MG 1/100 Tallgeese III (Special Coating)
    Release Date: January 11, 2020
    Price: 10,120 Yen

The Master Grade Tallgeese III returns in its "Special Coating" version. This kit will be exclusive to some of the upcoming Bandai Spirits events starting January 11, 2020. The kit is coated with special white titanium finish, and high gloss smooth texture! Giving the kit a more intense look and feel that also fits its aesthetics.

Metallic colors are also used for some of its parts, including the verniers in its backpack boosters. The inner framing has metallic finish that added more effect to the entire look of the Tallgeese III. The blue armor parts are also provided with metallic colors to add more luxurious feel to the whole kit. This kit is also packed with special decals that adapts with its special coating.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2019/12/mg-1100-tallgeese-iii-special-coating.html

[​IMG]

15. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the MG RGM-79SP is one of my all-time favorites...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Good for you, I haven’t. Not for non-exorbitant prices. With limited production numbers and no reprints it becomes impossible at times to find any exclusive that’s not jacked up in price.

Id love to see the numbers that dictated the HG Origin GM Interceptor without the Interceptor unit be mass release while the version with the backpack it’s friggin name comes from is an exclusive.

It comes down to the fact that Bandai makes more profit from their own web shop than mass release items, since there’s no middleman retailer.

But that’s just it, nothing is worth the effort anymore. Not when everything decent is an exclusive and mass releases are mostly ugly, half-baked shit.

Gundam used to be a relaxing hobby for me. There’s nothing relaxing about scouring eBay and auction sites for the few kits I want. It’s a chore, and Bandai is playing me and everyone else outside Japan and the US for a chump.

• Like Like x 1
  17. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Christmas haul this year included my first airbrush, an Iwata Eclipse and hose set, a Passche air compressor and a figure-Rise War Greymon. I still need to get paint though. Thinking about going with Gaia Notes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

I got something in the mail from New Gundam Center , finally. I appreciate it coming wrapped like this because it feels like I got a present for Hanukah!

20191227_113903.jpg

8814!! Powered Red!!

20191227_114124.jpg

Part quality looks and feels pretty good, and the colors are unique. the Gundam itself is three, maybe four shades of red plastic, with some parts being pre-painted like most of the gold bits , and the silver section of the blade and beam emitter for the 150 Gerbera.

20191227_114345.jpg

The gold parts for the Red Frame's katana are plated, while some are injection molded gold.

20191227_165611.jpg

The big sword handle, is big enough for a real sword!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like G40 is shipping from Bluefin next week according to an email I got. Can't wait!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    And some upcoming Gunpla news:

HGTO : Gundam (The Origin)
    From Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin
    Price : 2,300 yen
    Release date : March 2020

RG : Force Impulse Gundam