Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Thank you, Primus, for finally giving me sunny weather on a weekend after roughly 2 months of rain. Finally was able to topcoat... time to move on to another kit.
    DSC08132.JPG DSC08104.JPG DSC08068.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'll have to keep an eye out. That may come in handy for certain colours/plastics that are difficult to prime.

3. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Good luck. I gave up on it after a third try and fail. I shook it for five minutes straight but it still went on too thick.

I stripped the paint one last time and noticed it started eroding the plastic. Luckily a quick sanding took out the pitting.

On the positive side, it was easier to paint by hand and I just used a bottle of Dark Blue acrylic.

20180804_111249.jpg

And so.. Remember when I said I was Not going to go overboard with adding more paint. ... I almost made it.

20180804_114722.jpg

Just adding some dark blue along the paneled off trim on the navy blue parts.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Almost two hours later...
    Thanks @Autobot Burnout for the site suggestion!

20180804_122126.jpg

I'm just taking the marks for the three Astrays, anybody want some Cosmic Era decals?

and now this...

20180804_125514.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Wreck n rule

Wreck n rule Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend it. I used Krylon Short Cuts for the gold on the Hyaku-Shiki I painted, and it went on perfectly. So did the Chrome that I used from them. So I bought Red, White, and Black for my current projects. Neither White nor Red apply well, no matter what I do. They come out rough and bumpy when they dry, no matter the conditions I spray them under.

So I would wholeheartedly recommend the Chrome and Gold Leaf, but steer clear of the other colors. I had pretty much the same experience as Hadlen with any other color.

6. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Okay, so now I know it wasn't just me. Meanwhile, I think I found the next phase of this Wing Zero Custom job.. I need to swap a few components from the Wing EW's backpack assembly.

EDIT:
    A friend on G+ referred me to an event at Gundam Base Tokyo.
    『機動戦士ガンダムNT』のガンプラ「MG ユニコーンガンダム3号機フェネクス」や「HiRM ガンダムアストレイレッドフレーム」が展示!「HG ムーンガンダム」も!
    There are new pictures of the HiRM Red Frame, and I can see how much different it is from previous Astrays. Other than the obvious curves and muscular look, the way the armor is more integrated into the full body.

[​IMG]

The knee armor is more integrated into the thigh until the leg bends completely and it's more robust all around than any other Red Frame out there.

Now if there's a Powered Red upgrade in the works...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. decops

decops Well-Known Member

That shield is normally red right? It looks rather nice in blue.

I have been trying to improve my weathering skills beyond just random paint chipping lately by practicing on old broken kits. The results are not to bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  8. sages

sages Well-Known Member

Thanks. It was painstakingly long to trim and apply all these decals but it's also the easiest way to make a kit look good without fully painting it.

Not to mention the pre-build frames are made of ABS plastic and hard to fix.
    One thing I like about the regular plastic model is that you can almost always fix your mistake.

Looks fun! Still waiting for mine to arrive.
    I thought the head is hiding inside its giant hip armour.
    [​IMG]

but yeah, it's hard to imagine how it could transform without parts-forming.
    The modular design and references to the other Titans' designs are very impressive though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm painting it for the RG Wing Zero. I got the idea from the HiRM model, but not to the degree of cosmetics, just the color looks better than the traditional red faced shield. Right now I'm looking at what parts on the Zero I need to take from the EW to make a Neo Bird Mode work. If it doesn't, no big deal but worth a shot.

This gives me the idea, when I get around to building the MG Fenice Alba, I'm going to repaint its shield from blue to red. Then it will be the true Wing Gundam Version KE.. Kanetake Ebikawa.

I got myself back up to speed on the Wing tonight, even though I opened the Zaku for a bit, but progress reclaimed!

20180805_003454.jpg

Parts are all back together now, but I had to fix my paint down the seamlines first.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Wing Gundam:

20180805_103410.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    alright!

first things first: @Autobot Burnout still needs help with alien decals??? here's my recomendation: Vagan Mobile Suits!

[​IMG]

you cant get more alien than that!

also it's time to show my most recent (straight build) work!

My Little Starship cant be this cute!
    [​IMG]

in all seriousness Bandai did a GREAT job with Ptolemaios arms... although i did changed some parts to make look a bit more like Ptolemy 2
    [​IMG]

also i found a way to make the LEO look very badass (imho): Leo Assault and Leo NPD Space Type

[​IMG]

although i did have to make some modifications...
    [​IMG]

since tiltrotor ended ud having some loose parts i had to glue an extra part to the back of the leo to make a compatible connection
    [​IMG]

also BOTH LEOs have very weak waist ball joints so i had to strenghten them with white glue... for now... this is specially true for Leo NPD due to the extra weight of that Kimaris Mashup of a backpack...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that was also made with parts from tiltrotor + some spares from ptolemy
    [​IMG]

and just for fun i added some IBO weapons
    [​IMG]

overall the leos are awesome on their own right!!
    [​IMG]

but i really need to solve that issue of the weak waist... maybe i'll superglue those parts at some point...

anyway enjoy!

• Like Like x 6
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Why would I put alien KILL MARKINGS on the aliens? They don't shoot themselves down!

I considered that route since the Vagan are doing the whole 'hide the fact we're human' thing (and the fact they actually are legitimately Martians does help even after it's revealed at the end of the first 'generation' they're just humans on Mars) except the majority of the AGE Earth Federation suits really don't have good surfaces to put kill markings on from what I can tell.

13. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    it was then a bit a misunderstanding from my part then... sorry!

still since they are actually humans from mars you could get away with being MSs reverse engineered / designed with the sole purpose of fighting threats from beyond our solar system or something... i dunno... just throwing random ideas here!

14. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    No, painting stereotypical green martians on AGE Earth Federation MS for kills actually works as a kind of in-joke considering what the Vagan tried to pass themselves off as and never dropped the design aesthetic.

But like I said, the 'Earth' suits generally don't have designs that would support having kill markings of this size on the collar pieces or on the shoulders, though admittedly I'd have to measure them against the AGE-1 Razor and AGE-2 Normal I have. Maybe a customized Shadoll Rogue or Jackedge could work, but I've got eight kits in the backlog again so it can wait.

15. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Have you guys thought about what Reprolabels might have in decals like what want?

16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    The GI JOE Numbering sheets look good, but I think the major difference there besides the obvious size problem (since GI JOE is what, 1:32 or something?) is that they're still stickers. I personally lean towards waterslides or dry rubs because they look more natural when applied. Not saying you couldn't make it work with stickers but I've never seen something where peel-and-stick works and at the very least you're able to kill that glossy shine AND the raised outline.

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    picked up an airbrush kit and a few Mr colour and Tamiya paints and it's opened up a whole new world. I've only done my MG zaku 2's guns so far but I'm amazed at how much better then final look is compared to rattle cants. cant wait to start the armour next weekend

• Like Like x 1
  18. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

Woot! My MG Blitz finally showed up from Japan!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Clear Edition?

-
    Speaking of clear.
    before I do decals, I'm giving the Porsche a topcoat.

20180805_190905.jpg

Straight up Rustoleum Gloss spray, it brought the gunmetal flake to shine.

• Like Like x 2
  20. decops

decops Well-Known Member

Bring on the endless p bandai variants. This was a really easy, quick, and enjoyable build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4