Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Azuzu98

Azuzu98 Still hyped as fuck for Rise of the Beasts

News Credits:
    Wow,I don't know there's a gunpla thread in this website..
    Might as well share mine

IMG_20180110_114203_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    I ordered it and a Wing Zero last night. got to love USA-Gundam Store's abundance of coupons. I'll let you know when they arrive and take out what you need.

In any case, I couldn't sleep lastnight, so I spent some time at the desk.. and found out what caused the part to break.

CHEMICAL REACTION! from Mr Color Thinner.

20180731_022509.jpg

I opened the Wing box for a moment to clean some paint off the knee joints, everything seemed okay, but some of the thinner soaked in and ran into the frame, I noticed the soft plastic start to change colors became brittle and then suddenly completely COLLAPSED!

I tried it directly on the salvaged arm and it did exactly the same. no pressure, just contact, brittle, and broke.

20180731_023244.jpg

Just literally ate right through a weak spot.

Never seen that before.. until now.

**Edit... quick research on Mr Color Thinner and plastics... Yeah. confirmed. Lacquer based solvents eat through ABS.... It doesn't erode, it just hardens it to the breaking point.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wasn't that part of the reasoning of why Bandai switched back to styrene for MG frames?

4. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Now that you mention it.... Yes.

Now that I think about it... I should have known better. I was under the impression this was me causing physical damage from the force of connecting parts, but then I saw it happen chemically.

5. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Speaking of USA Gundam, I just caught that they've got those Flame Toy models available for pre-order... in case anyone cares.

6. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Yup... I'll dive into those when they get closer to release. Really looking forward to their IDW-verse models!

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    So, while I was out doing a dry run for my commute (turns out I'll be starting next week instead of tomorrow due to some internal issue), I realized there was a Barnes and Noble, so I went over there to check it out.

Lo and behold, at long goddamn last - I HAVE THE GRIMORE RED BERET! Sorta kicking myself for not picking up the Tiltrotor when I was in Tennessee because that Hobbytown was loaded with them, but it's a cheap kit and honestly between that and the Beret, the Beret is stronger on its own. I also stopped by the Hobbytown USA located across the street from the B&N and while they too didn't have the Tiltrotor, they did still have a set of the Gundam Decal #47 waterslides. Now I'm fully ready to begin my HG 00 Tieren Space Type Refurbishment project as I have the 'nametags' AND the HRL icons AND all those lovely Dust 1947 Russian Warning Labels.

As a bonus, set #47 comes with Overflag logos and markings specifically for the Graham Arker Custom Flag, so that kit will also be receiving a few 'upgrades'.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    That reminds me, I still want to find a Decal set 42 for the 1/144 Astrays. granted it's just Cosmic Era as a whole, but it's the only set that has original Junk Guild "LOWE!" mark and Serpents Tail symbols.

9. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Here ya go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Thanks, I'm surprised R4L is still around, they closed their ebay shop a long time ago.

Slow evening spent on the Red Blitz and a Porsche 911 GT2, but I started mapping out my painting pattern for the Zaku. Two tone gray on the undersides of the flared armor. Darker gray on the recessed panels, the plain gray framing it out and being my exposed color on the surface.

20180731_234045.jpg 20180731_234020.jpg

And a touch of pale red on the back of the bicep.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    lol I misread that as two tons gray and was like "Jesus Christ how much paint can a Real Grade Zaku take?!"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Now you know why I stock up on the 46 ml paint jars!

13. Azuzu98

News Credits:
    My fav. shot 20161212_115439.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

glad i have a policy now of only painting details such as hydraulics and such on MG internal frames, and i use water-based TAMIYA COLOR these days, exclusively.

i ruined the MG RX-78NT-1 ALEX i had back in the early 2000's, trying to be a good modeller at the time, and judiciously painting up the ENTIRE inner frame.

TAMIYA COLOR reacts and thins very well with 91% or purer medical grade Isopropyl Alcohol. i found this out about five or ten years ago,
    and have been using Iso with TAMIYA exclusively ever since. the Iso thins the TAMIYA and cleans brushes beautifully.
    it will even clean up old, abused brushes, such as some of the better ones i had left over from my earlier, clumsier modelling days in the 90's...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HGBD 1/144 Gundam Astray No Name - Release Info, Box art and Official Images - Gundam Kits Collection News and Reviews

HGBD 1/144 Gundam Astray No Name
    Release Date: August 2018
    Price: 1,944 Yen

[​IMG]

P-Bandai: MG 1/100 Trans-Am 00 Gundam Seven Sword/G [SPECIAL COATING] [REISSUE] - Release Info - Gundam Kits Collection News and Reviews

P-Bandai: MG 1/100 Trans-Am 00 Gundam Seven Sword/G [SPECIAL COATING] [REISSUE]
    Release Date: November 2018
    Price: 12,960 Yen

[​IMG]

Robot Damashii (SIDE MS) Unicorn Gundam Phenex Narrative Ver. - Release Info - Gundam Kits Collection News and Reviews

Robot Damashii (SIDE MS) Unicorn Gundam Phenex Narrative Ver.
    Release Date: December 2018
    Price: 8,500 Yen

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Azuzu98

News Credits:
    o_1cjqfsdqv1ljumc61dcu1la917ho7.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    I've always used Testors acrylics and old fashioned enamel, I bought this thinner when I tried to use Mr Color brand paint but I never liked it, and then I discovered it's perfect for washing off excess panel liner and a much better means of cleaning up acrylic too. This was just bad handling on my part.

Meanwhile thanks to @Autobot Burnout , I got my decals for the Astrays AND the MS Spikes for the Red Blitz. They only had set #2, but I like the look of the longer narrow spike in this set.
    [​IMG]

Honestly everywhere I've looked, nobody has the MS Spike #1 sets so making the most of the limited options.

• Like Like x 2
  18. malfet

malfet Tiny Plastic Robot

I probably should have decided whether or not I was going to do the Vulcan conversion beforehand, but you know what they say.
    gyanvulcanr.jpg
    Turned out fairly good for a bum-ass hack job. Didn't try color-matching the shoulders and head, though the slight difference in shade actually doesn't look bad. Had to kill the nasty tangerine on the shields and swords, but I didn't have the right colors so I improvised and got pretty close to the tan-mustard the Revive uses. I wish I had some flat base to knock some of the gloss of the gold I used down some more, but them's the breaks. Also think I need to tweak my recipe for shooting dullcote out of an airbrush after this and the Krieger -- 1/1 thinned is more of a flat satin finish and I like a more matte look. Might try 3/2 next.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JLOJ

JLOJ Transformative

News Credits:
    Just received my PG Astray Red Frame Kai today. I had it delivered to my work and as you can see that’s one huge box. I thought the PG Unicorn box was big lol.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  20. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Nice... mine comes in the mail tomorrow along with my replacement Wing EW!

• Like Like x 1