Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I feel like the Buster Gundam would look sweet in Gusion 3 colours...

Poor Full City, honestly seems like nobody likes you except for me. :'(

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    And P-Bandai MS-04 Bugu Pre-ordered! Gonna have to wait until March but all I need is the knowledge Unit 04 of the Space Strike Fleet is secured down the road. Still got Units 02, 03, the R-GyaGya, the Chain Base paintwork, and whatever is in the mystery USAGundamStore package I ordered last month as well.

It's gonna be a good few weeks of gunpla.

Hey, I think Full City is an awesome suit...name not so much :lol 

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  3. Blurrz

Blurrz You're Breathtaking!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I might have to grab another Buster just for a recolor because aesthetically it's my fav GAT-X suit.

Oh great Flauros used those stupid daggers in the latest ep. Time to order MS Option Set 7 zzzzz

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I watched a review for the HG Bugu. I'm surprised with all the advancements Bandai has made with Zeon kits, they still do the dumb thing where the shoulder pads are attached to the outside of the arm so when you move the arm out, the should pad crashes into the head. Why don't they ever do shoulders like normal Federation suits where the shoulder pad is the actual shoulder?

It also used the shorter cannons the same set comes with.

5. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Oh those classy bastards at HLJ...
    [​IMG]

Gallajhorn and Turbines Display Bases. Guess I'll be grabbing Gerail and the Rouei next, though that will be far in the future since I've got the backlog and my budget has been slashed along with my work hours until I get a full time job.

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I wonder what kinda colours the helmwige Reincar would look best in. I watched Mecha's review for it and the total lack of restriction despite the bulky armour has me sold. But I don't like the mustard green-ish tinted yellow.

7. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Red. Restore the Grimgerde!

8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You mean pink?

I actually have the Grimgerde on backorder but it's not for me. It's a gift for a friendo who wants to get into Gundam 'cuz of IBO. He likes the vibrant pink suits like the many Ryuseis and the Grimgerde. I do, too. It's a classy look that being straight up all red wouldn't really accomplish.

9. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Sure.

10. NeoMatter

NeoMatter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for going off topic... didn't know where else to go.

Any suggestions as to where to go to get tips for building models? I haven't touched a model in years and started getting back into collecting a few of them. Only problem is I've been pretty bad at putting models together in the past (because I didn't want to invest much time into it - was always impatient). That's changed now. Got a few Frame Arms and Frame Arms Girl kits. Also got some Gundam kits... the HGFC Nobell, HG Exia Trans-Am and MG Exia Trans-am.

TIA.

11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Right here! We love sharing tips and info on model building. This thread's pretty active. Just ask what do you need to know, someone's bound to have an answer.

12. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Finally completed my RG Build Strike Gundam Full Package. As it's based on the Aile Strike Gundam, it carries some of that kit's loose parts, but adds a few quirks of its own. The most noticeable involves the new ankle extensions, which make the kit taller, but easily fall off the feet. All flaws aside, this RG kit blows away the HGBF kit with its detail and articulation, and even beats the MG kit with its extensive use of clear parts and silver foil stickers and a more articulated Build Booster.

Overall, it's the best incarnation of the Build Strike. Here's hoping that the RG Universe Booster is not a P-Bandai exclusive.

rgbuildstrikegundam01.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam02.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam03.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam04.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam05.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam06.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam07.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam08.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam09.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam10.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam11.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam12.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam13.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam14.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam15.JPG

Here's a comparison with the HGBF kit.

rgbuildstrikegundam16.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam17.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam18.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam19.JPG rgbuildstrikegundam20.JPG
    Size comparison with the RG RX-78-2 Gundam and HGUC Byarlant Custom.

rgbuildstrikegundam21.JPG
    And inspired by Kakarot197: A size comparison with the standard-sized GM Custom and the always-bulky Zaku III.

"And that's all for this review, and see you guys next time."

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    My GundamUSA mystery box order has shipped, so soon I'll have the final piece of the backlog! And maybe some neat new materials, too.

*crosses fingers for awesome waterslides*

14. NeoMatter

NeoMatter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks... haven't touched models in a long time. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

To begin, I would simply cut out the parts using side cutters. However, to be careful not to cut directly close to the part. Leave a small nub to clean off using hobby knife and/or file. After that dry fit parts to see how it looks and to see if any further clean up is needed?

I have some basic tools for model building... should be sufficient?
    1) Side cutters
    2) Hobby knife
    3) Files

Glue... think most of the kits I got are snap together. Minimal to no glue required. However, if needed, what type of glue is best to use for models? I know plastic cement is best for polystyrene plastics IIRC.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You've got the basics covered, anything else is more like a kit-by-kit thing. Cement is fine, but I find careful application of superglue is just as effective for problem parts. Like, a pinprick on the area of contact will suffice. But luckily, especially in this day and age any kit requiring glue for any reason is a rarity.

16. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Welcome to the Hobby thread!
    As for your technique ideas, yeah that's the trick. cut, trim, clean, fit, and finish, paint if you want along the way or after, it's up to you!

You have the basics for tools down but I also recommend you find the right sanding pads. I like to use a 400 grit by Alpha Abrasives, and they also make a polishing set (100s-->1,000+ grit) that gives you a nice shine if you're building right out of the box and onto the shelf. trick is not getting to carried away with scraping, and just working over the space where the runner nub used to be.

I like to use multiple glues depending on the join,and so I like Tamiya "Extra Thin" cement and Mr. Cement Deluxe. Tamiya Extra Thin I use on the simple part seams, one drop will literally run down a gap and give you an even seal. squeeze and hold for best results, but there's the clean up afterwards of having to shave off the 'bubbles'. The Mr Cement Deluxe I use on bonding serious part seams and especially for preventing certain parts from breaking.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Dalong's gallery of the GM Ground. God damn it looks good panel-lined: HGUC

18. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm... actually a bit put off by the panel-lining, maybe because it's strait black. I don't care for the split in the front skirts, it seems really needless, and the grey cutout above the ankle just makes it look unfinished. I'll probably go for a more subtle paneling color and just not bother with the grey bits whenever I get around to buying this... which may be a long time, if at all...

19. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Cue the Spanish guitar...

buildstrikevszakuamazing01.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing02.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing03.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing04.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing05.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing06.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing07.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing08.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing09.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing10.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing11.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing12.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing13.JPG buildstrikevszakuamazing14.JPG

20. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017