Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    If you love detailed Gundams, then yes. If you love super posable robots, then yes. If you love intricately designed mechanical marvels, then yes. If you love transforming stuff, then yes. If you love Barbies, then no, get the Zeta 2.0 Unit 3. It has 162% more pink on it.

BTW, I love my HCM Pro Z Green Diver's version.

2. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

From the pictures on dalong.net it appears that it only needs some white paint on the top of the backpack, plus some red on the trim of the backpack, and then maybe some optional yellow in some spots. I think when I get it I'll leave it unpainted. I can always paint it later if I want.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL! I don't think its an "about face" issue. My stand regarding the Zeta is still the same...no.3 on my list behind the the OYW Gundam and Nu Gundam. Whether you want the Zeta 2.0 depends on how much you of a fan you are of the mecha. Especially if $ is an issue...the chief reason why I got the Zeta was because someone in my country was dumping him around USD$30-35 (depending on currecy fluctuation); which was a steal IMO.

Likewise for the Hiyaku Shiki...I got him for USD$20...minus the instructions! I had to go online to look for instructions. I didn't mind because I really like the Shiki's design - one of my top 5 fave designs.

Get the Zeta 2.0 if you agree with Chaos Incarnate's post! :D  And I agree with you, Chaos...the HCM Pro Green Diver you really looks solid! I saw it the other day but I have to stay "focus" on One Year Mecha from the HCMPo series to prevent further damage to my wallet.

4. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Hm. I'm looking through Dalong, and I see this MG Strike Gundam in the deactivated phase-shift colors (grey). Anyone have info on this kit, and how much it might be?

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Dalong's got a Zaku 2.0 in hand and assembled. No full review yet but I doubt that's far off.

Here's a question: Both the PG Zaku and MG 2.0 have a mechanism that allows you to move the cockpit from one side of the chest to the other. Why? Was there something in the 0079 series that showed pilots getting out of different sides of the chest? And I thought Zakus kept their Minovsky reactors in the side of the chest not occupied by a pilot, so why do the kits both just leave that space empty?

Edit: Evan, from Gunota Headlines I understand the Deactive Strike was a limited edition kit sold (or given away?) at a model kit convention or similar.

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I don't know. I've actually never seen much of the 0079 series. (the extremely dated visuals really got to me.) But if I had to conjecture, I'd say that sometimes Zeon pilots would be seen getting into the left side and sometimes the right, thus raising the question of what side is the cockpit actually on.

7. Evan Goldsborough

Hm, most unfortunate. I always preferred the grey G3-ish colors over the traditional red and blue, but I don't really care enough about it to track down a convention-exclusive figure...

8. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    OK...I have done one of these things in over 15 years. Looks like they have much improved. Think I might like to do one again. I'm curious though as to which ones come completed color molded and which ones require paint. Also noticed that some transform...like I said, they have come a long way since I was 13.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much, the higher the grade/larger the scale, and newer the kit, the less painting will be required.

It also varies from design to design though. Some have all sorts of little details that would be ridiculously cost prohibitive or even impossible to fully colour mold, so painting is inevitably required.

One of the more insane colour breakdowns I've seen is on the MG Wing Gundam ver. Ka. Except for the requisite eye and sensor stickers, everything on it is molded properly in colour, even the fins on the sides of its head are broken down into three tiny pieces so that they can be coloured right.

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can see why you were attracted to the colour scheme...here's a fun fact for new Gundam fans...the RX-78's original colour scheme was originally meant to be "all grey" but the colour was changed to its all famous red-white and blue due to marketing issues.

moonstreaker - mx-01 archon, sums it up nicely...for the newer kits, the larger the figure, the lesser paint is requuired and not all Gundam models are "transformable". I recommend you check out dalong.net for pictures of the toys in all their "unpainted glory"...only thing added are the panel lines (with the use of water-based markers), stickers and decals.

Seriously, the newer kits seemingly don't require a drop of paint to look good which a boon to collectors like me who can't paint! :D 

11. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    the Hi-Nu Gundam MG is the one that really got my attention, but damn that is expensive.

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, the Hi Nu is indeed one of the most impressive kits. IMO, no.4 on the list MG kits. My rating is based on toy design, how good the kit is without painting, durability and price point. Its no. 4 on my list behind OYW Gundam, Nu Gundam and the Zeta 2.0. Check out some of my older pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I appear every time you post pics of that model...damn beautiful.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really like the Hi Nu too...in terms of design and colour scheme it is one of the better Gundam designs out there...and the best part? You don't need to paint it! All one needs is a cutter, snadpaper and black/grey markers and the model is done! :D 

I'm going to focus on Gundam kits for awhile...allows my wallet to take a break and the current TF movie toys aren't appealing to me, Syd...

15. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    The only hobby shop that hasn't closed up near me is the little old child molester train shop. Looks like I'll have to be patient and shop online. None of the sites I have found that sell them seem to have detail pens listed...maybe I'll find something at the craft store.

16. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

If I recall the series and the construction of the PG Char's Zaku II correctly (helped build my stepbrother's, so it's been a while), the cockpit moves to the left side of the chest, where the cockpit hatch is, so that the pilot can exit. In the first episode of the original series it shows a Zaku pilot exiting from the left side of the stomach of the Zaku. I would assume that the cockpit moves because it is supposed to be in the center of the stomach, while the hatch is shown on the left.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

18. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

:lol 

19. Evan Goldsborough

If you're in the USA, check Gundamstoreandmore.com. They're got what you need in regards to markers, as well as having good prices on the kits themselves.

All my recent purchases have been from them.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Any love for the astray blue frame 1:100 model? I've just bought it, but I have yet to build it.

From the pics, it looks kick-ass to me.