Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    To be quite honest, I can't see the fold-away arms working without being outright separate pieces that...don't fold away. The degree to which those joints would need to be shrunk while retaining the complexity would be like a giant snake made up of tiny finger balljoints from the RX-78-2.

Good GOD look at those Vulcan channels! They look like the original Gundam mounted freakin 120mm tank cannons on its head! :lol 

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haven't seen this thread get this skrewed up since I last talked about Sazabi hands.

4. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

This is THE RG that i really want! I know if they ever release one, they'll almost definitely release a special dendrobium online set with new decals etc, like they did for the gn arms, and meteor unit.

5. shellformer

shellformer @

Oldest use of it I know of is 1995, in one of the SRW games. It's almost twenty years old.

6. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    The HGUC does have the folding arms and the claws did open and close.
    [​IMG]
    I can see the Real Grade getting away with either mimicking the same construction or having something built into an Advanced Joint runner.

The problem I had with the HGUC kit is that because of the forearm design, the bicep connection had to be compromised and they went with a plastic/plastic sleeve that wore out too easily.

@Squee

I wouldn't put it past them to make an Exclusive Dendrobium, but that's breaking it off. How about with the RG GP03, they give us a decal sheet to use if any of us that already have one.

[​IMG]
    ..Now that you've got me thinking about it, this would look pretty sweet with RG style detailing. I already have the open I-field generator's face painted with metallic colors.. Maybe in time, I'll fill in the rest?

@Fanimus

I'll give Sazabi's hands credit, they are much sturdier than the ones that came with Nu Gundam.

7. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Sekai no Hakaishin

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    *reads the rantings* woa....ok people everyone calm down and lets return to topic....awesome gunplaing!!!

Who here is excited about the new HGBF kits and already has plans for mashups? So far I am making a "thing" using the dark matter booster, regular exias chest and shoulders, quantas arms, lower half and head and finally parts from 00 7 swords parts....will post pics soon once I am done modding parts to make them fit XD.

8. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    I have an idea that might start with the GM Cartigan/Guardian.

9. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I didn't want to devolve the thread (yet again), but I only just wanted to throw out my opinion on something, it happened to be a dissenting, unpopular thought...

And everyone jumped on me about it.

I was even attacked for something I like to do.

Sorry this all happened, but I hope everyone recognizes I was only ranting in defense.

Guess I'll take another long leave of absence.

10. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

I hated that about the HGUC version of it. The one that came with my dendrobium snapped. I ended up buying a brand new one before i sold it.

As for the decals, why not order a set from samueldecals on fb, or from one of the few sellers on ebay. There are some really nice sets for the dendrobium available. The set i bought came out to about 20 dollars, and they had some pretty massive lettering. Well worth it.

Honestly though, i prefer the Stamen by itself as compared to that behemoth, mainly due to the space it takes up. lmao

Mine sat in a box all assembled but in sections for years due to lack of display space. :/

11. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Forgot I added more pics of my Dendrobium to the CDX "Gundam model" folder a few months back, I'm still floored by how much work I put into this thing 10 years ago.
    Dendrobium | CollectionDX

Meantime, thanks for the suggestion but you know I'm not a fan of decals in general, but I've come to love adding extra detail painting. If they do an RG Stamen, I would definitely do the extra paint on the Dendrobium to match the silver/metallic decals and seam lines.

I already did hand brush all of the red paint inside of the vernier cones.
    [​IMG]
    I could totally come back and do more.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Ok, Advanced Joint Inner Frame assembly I can see working for the RG, didn't consider that.

But could the RG connect into the Orchis like the HGUC? I don't own GP-03 at all so I don't know how the connection works beyond "stick thorax into thingy"

Look, the problem wasn't that you disliked it, we all jumped you initially as a joke but it wasn't serious.

It was when you started saying you outright refused to even watch the series because of reasons that were prevalent in virtually any Gundam series or relatively incorrect only because you haven't actually seen 08th. Don't like the Ez8? The suit doesn't even show up until maybe three-fourths into the OVA, and only after it takes on the Apsauls II. Until then, it's just another RX-79[G] like the other two in the 08th group, V-fin and all.

The point is...don't be hating on it until you've at least tried to watch some of it. Then at least you can say you did try and subsequently cite reasons why you stopped before finishing it. Such as how the general consensus about 0080 War in the Pocket is that it's sub-par at best, but not because the designs stink (I personally think all the suits look pretty bad-ass, especially the Kamfer as it's now one of my favorite suit designs), but because all the characters are terrible.

13. Rob3880

Rob3880 Well-Known Member

My local Barnes & Noble got in a handful or Gundam kits, so I decided to take the plunge and finally try building one. I've never really been into model building of any kind before, and was a little apprehensive at first, but I'm so glad I gave it a shot because I loved the whole experience, and now I'm hooked ! My first kit was the RG Destiny Gundam, which came out pretty great, at least by my novice standards.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I just ordered a MG Crossbone Ver Ka, a MG Nu Gundam Ver Ka, and a MG Unicorn Gundam Ver Ka. I love how affordable these kits are as compared to what I usually collect.. Should be able to build a collection quickly. What are some of the other must have gems in the Master Grade class? I don't have any connection to the anime's as of yet, so just want really cool looking Gundams.

14. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    Actually there was no physical "Locking" connection, the Stamen just lays on its belly with the top halves of its backpack folded into its shoulder and the Mobile suit just rested inside the central cavity. If there was anything physical that held it in place it was the flaps on the hatches to the weapon containers.

The front of the Dendrobium does have an "open docking position" feature where the skid the Stamen sits lowers down, but again otherwise it's just one thing sitting inside another really big thing.

Great job on the Destiny! Good kits: any of the Version EW series if you liked Gundam Wing, I can vouch for the Wing Zero and the Heavyarms especially. the MG Exia is pretty good, Anything of the "Version 2.0" label, like the Gouf, Zaku II (I like the 'Johnny Ridden' High Mobility Type) and RX-78 (G3! ). My favorite MG kit of all time that I can suggest: ASTRAY RED FRAME!!!!!!!!

15. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

Heh, before i got rid of it, i was in the middle of adding a bunch of detail to mine, including plating etc. My one regret was how i lit up the cannon. Doing it now, i would have made it so it can disconnect still. :/

[​IMG]

@Autobot: Yea the Stamen just kind of sits in there. I'm sure a RG would probably fit even better with the better articulation in the legs.

16. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

If you can find it, get the regular MG Kampfer. It's simple and a fun build to do and very awesome when completed. I'm not that impressed on the version with the clear-parts, tho.

The recent MG Sazabi Ka is pretty nifty, too, but I think it's a more complicated build than the Kampfer.

17. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    if you kept it, I'm sure you could just strip down a pen light and fit it in there; and incorporate the key-lock insertion design to function as the activation switch.

Nice to see someone else painted the cluster missile pod too.

Although I'm more curious about its... little friend off to the side there.

18. IamSoundwave

IamSoundwave Well-Known Member

What tools do you guys recommend for someone who just wants to build the kit and nothing else. I have a Gundam 02 Banshee Destroy Mode that I had for a year and want to start building, but I don't know where to start.

19. Rob3880

Okay, I'll look for those. Thanks for the tip. Just finished up this guy, HG Sengoku Astray.. I think I spoiled myself by starting out with a RG first and then going to an HG... Building the RG was a lot more challenging, especially the decals, but I think I enjoyed the challenge a bit more, and I just love all that detail on Destiny.. Don't get me wrong, I like Sengoku, but I'm thinking that I'm definitely going to lean more towards building RG's and MG's rather than HG's..
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

20. Rob3880

I just built my first two kits, and all I needed to make them stock were an exacto knife and sandpaper.. But all you really need is an exacto knife or some other instrument to cut the pieces off the runners and shave or sand off the nubs. Doesn't hurt to have some glue handy either as some pieces can fall off a lot, but it's not necessary. And my Destiny Gundam needed a little floor polish on the balljoints to tighten them up a bit.