Let's see your Gundams

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agesthreeandup, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Sekai no Hakaishin

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have 4 storage bins full of unbuiltkits and the top part of my paint storage closet is full of more kits...I have stopped buying after the proto wing zero but the sazabi ver ka has me tempted XD...I think I have a problem....

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I can help take some of those kits off your hands for ya.

*pulls out wallet*

3. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

^haha, it's borderline a disease! I've been really trying not to buy anything, but i just saw some gorgeous quality resin casting from utopia cast, i'm sorely tempted to pick up a few new ones next week. XD As of now, the only kits i'll be getting this year are the Gojulas and the new Sazabi. But watch, in 2 weeks you'll probably see at least 3 kits in my ny comicon haul. Might grab that green psychoframe hguc Unicorn too.

4. Falconhood

Falconhood Harbinger of Apokalypse

Went to the Toy Show today, bought a built Gundam kit, Sinanju
    [​IMG]

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Squee - That's a lotta' boxes!

---------------------------------------------------

Falcon - That's awesome. How much was it built?

---------------------------------------------------

Finished MG Aile Strike tonight, and I have to say it's about the most impressed I've been with a kit yet. Awesomely engineered, and a ton in the box including a flight base/hangar deal. I'm in love.

It's the first kit I've built that's made me like the cartoon design even more. It's Frame and aesthetic are just outstanding. It's going to look insane with the perfect Strike conversion.

Can't wait for it to dry so I can maybe get some pics in tomorrow.

6. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

From what I can see, it's missing the horn on the head.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

No explanation. No summation. No recap. Because that's not what we're all here for.

We're here for pictures!

Of Honeycomb!!!

Yes, you read that right. Honeycomb's out. It's finally out. Mine's built, suffice to say it's a pretty major upgrade to the GN Archer 1/144 kit. I'll let the pics to the rest of the talking. ;) 

(There's also the obligatory information section at the end about modifying GN Archer using this kit, in case people aren't familiar with the Honeycomb Conversion Kit. Check below the pictures for more. :)  )

Honeycomb Conversion Kit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Honeycomb Conversion Kit is an upgrade for the High Grade 1/144 GN Archer, designed to make the kit appear like a robotic bee. Honeycomb includes an entirely new articulated wing set, a new abdomen piece, two new heads, new knee and wrist parts and two guns!

The Honeycomb Conversion Kit is designed to 'snap' onto the GN Archer, using existing pegs. However, some parts of GN Archer do need to be removed by cutting (such as the fins on the Archer's knees), and glue is recommended to be used for extra support.

The kit is designed to be 3D printed on Shapeways, and its sprues are designed with that in mind. The parts are separated into 2 sprues (A and B). The A sprue is for large parts, recommended to be printed in WSF, while the B sprue is used for smaller parts (like the heads), recommended to be printed in Frosted Detail (or Frosted Ultra Detail).

Honeycomb Conversion Kit Photobucket Gallery

Purchase the Honeycomb Conversion Kit Sprue A on Shapeways

Purchase the Honeycomb Conversion Kit Sprue B on Shapeways

Honeycomb Conversion Kit Facebook Album

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alternate Head:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detached Wings and Weapons:

[​IMG]

-Treadshot A1

About the Honeycomb Conversion Kit: This kit is designed to be used with the High Grade 1/144 GN Archer Gundam model kit. It requires that the GN Archer kit be partially built and modified (such that the original model cannot be recovered once Honeycomb is built onto it). Honeycomb is an extensive modification of the GN Archer model kit, and it is recommended for experienced model builders. The parts of Honeycomb have been designed to work with GN Archer such that existing pegs can be used, however pieces may need to be cut from the GN Archer model kit in some instances (such as the fins on the knees of GN Archer, which must be removed before the Honeycomb knee parts can be attached. Glue is required for some parts and is recommended to make the kit more stable. Moving parts, such as the wings, have been designed to be assembled without glue. The Honeycomb Conversion Kit does require paint (along with the GN Archer).

Note: The Honeycomb Conversion Kit was created from scratch. Every section of the model was drawn for Honeycomb; no 3D models were obtained from any source. Every model in the Honeycomb Conversion Kit is custom made specifically for this kit. Honeycomb is sold at ZERO MARKUP (I make no money off this kit; the cost is what Shapeways charges for printing it).

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Fantastic job, Treads. If I collected /144th, I'd buy Archer just FOR that kit. That really turned out well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This kit hits on so many levels... still gushing:

[​IMG]

9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

Gunpla is back in US stores, just not where you think!

Saw this on FB. Apparently you can buy at Barnes and Nobles. LMAO

gundam, Toys & Games | Barnes & Noble

Take that TRU!

Bluefin is wholesaling to them, you can also get s h figuarts and candy toys!

11. jdrbrn

jdrbrn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been looking at heavyarms and will probably get it from B&N when I do just to support the US stores selling them at real stores.

12. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

Great, now I can buy my HG's locally for $35 instead of $40! :(  I doubt the Canadian outlets will receive shipments anyways. As much as I'd like to support local distribution, I won't tolerate a 200% or more mark-up. Nope, direct from Japan continues to be the best way to go for me.

On a semi-related note, this is bothering me to no end. I've got two options for Build Strike's torso, and I don't know which one to pick. It's so simple, and yet... argh...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Personally, I like the blue mid and red obliques.

[​IMG]

14. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with TJ. I kinda want to get that kit now!

15. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

Man, how things change. I used to hate SEED (and by extension, the design of the suits)... but it's slowly growing on me. I love the variety within this group.

I think I'll go for option #2, then. Make it a bit different from the usual red plate. I just hope the paint I bought is the right shade of blue... guess that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

16. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Welcome to my world!! I think the models have been really good, from NG to MG, but I'm still allowed to hate the television series.

---SEED Bash in 4... 3... 5... 113...

Seriously, duck faced kids (they look like pixies) who hate fighting but love to pilot mobile suits powered by stock footage, a story so boring the only way to write themselves out was to rehash the same story we've already seen with stock flashback footage, and even more stock footage.... DONE!!

...but at least "Astray" is fun. likable characters and new illustrations on each page.

---END OF REVIEW!---
    I'm between two kits I'm building for review and a hay field right now.

Here's a taste:
    [​IMG]

17. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    And that's really it. I didn't like the series much at all, but the suits kick complete ass, and the MasterGrade models are just outstanding quality.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Glad to see Honeycomb is out! I sure would like to get one.

Oh, wait. I have the prototype.;) 

As the guy who test built this for you, I feel obligated to correct you on the idea GN Archer can not be recovered by experienced builders. Not like it would be worth the effort since the base kit is cheap enough as it is and it would be better to buy a whole new Archer instead of destroying a $50 garage kit mod, but the only real modification beyond paint needed is trimming the knee fins, and if done properly there can be enough of a nub left under the kneecaps such that the fins could be reattached unless you modified the kneecaps such that they are no longer hollow.

I hope this is a start of a trend. I'd love for Michaels to eventually sell gundams in their model section.

Pretty much my current opinion on SEED as well. Fantastic suit designs, absolutely crap characters. Shin Auska never should have been given Destiny Gundam (the thing was so overpowered it violated pratically every law governing MS construction in the show at the time, yet Shin's insistence on swinging the Anti-Ship sword around as his only strategy despite the MX2000 BFG which he could deploy and fire in mere seconds and the much more appropriate beam boomerang sabers on the unit's shoulders made the suit basically nothing more than a white elephant), Kira Yamoto is well deserving of the "Jesus" insult nickname, his girlfriend might as well have been a Macross Frontier idol reject, and in general the series decided to make so many Gundams that they might as well have been custom mass produced suits instead of the one-off unique juggernauts every other non-meta series has treated them as since the beginning for the franchise.

19. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    I don't know whether to start MG Sinanju or Hi-Nu first. Hmmmmmmmmm....

Also, ordered the RX-78-4. It's crazy that I don't like the RX-78, but love damned near every variant of it..

20. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, that kit has variants?!