Let's See Some Fan-Modes Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brutimus Prime, May 14, 2009.

1. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    I don't have Generations Selects Hothouse, but I just saw a somebody do this on a YouTube video! :eek: 

Seeing that fan-mode and giving it a try with Overair sold it for me! And... I just placed an order for Generations Selects Hothouse! :D 

638px-Hothouse-boxart.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Busy Rationing Adjectives

3. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    It’s just placed over Greasepit’s head, it’ll fall off if you move him around, lol.

Soft/sticky tack wil definitely hold it in place.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Saw somebody do this on Reddit with these molds, and I decided to give it a try! :D 

Autobox Skeksis? or the robots from The Fifth Element? :p 

IMG_2855.jpg

"Grrrispit Johnny 5” :lol 
    IMG_2851.jpg

"Eeernworks" :lol 

IMG_2854.jpg

Autobot Strike Force X :p 
    IMG_2861.jpg

Well, that was a lot of fun. :) 

I need to buy the regular black and yellow Earthrise Ironworks!

---------

Edit... Okay, I couldn't resist, lol!

Wheelie's my name, wanna play a game? :p 
    IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  5. FlamingCabbage

FlamingCabbage Well-Known Member

Mixing bot modes a bit and I came up with this

Decepticon Counter
    20211020_070000.jpg

And Autobot Punchpunch
    20211020_070527.jpg

I ended up liking the waist being turned around so much that I decided to keep it for the "proper" bot modes.

I feel like having the legs "swapped" helps the look of the figure, since having feet helps draw attention away from punch's shoulders, and the pauldrons and chest window draw attention away from counterpunch's new lack of toes

20211020_070948.jpg 20211020_071115.jpg

And that was when I noticed punch seems to have super shallow 5mm ports on his shoulders

20211024_071006.jpg 20211024_071531.jpg

It's not every day you get a bot with 5mm chest AND back ports

• Like Like x 5
  6. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

That PaleoPunch combo looks pretty spiffy man!

• Like Like x 2
  7. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 14
  8. Racer_J

Racer_J Well-Known Member

Transmutate made a friend and, we're all going to die . . .

ALL HAIL MINDFLAYER TRUNK TUNK!!!1 No, that's not lazy, it's a Snout Spout homage and tunk means "to tap/rap/thump" and "to strike lightly or sharply".

20211025_163051.jpg
    Yes, that's a Death Chicken:

20211025_163051 (1).jpg

20211025_163136.jpg 20211025_163224.jpg 20211025_163317.jpg 20211025_163417.jpg

20211025_190513.jpg

Yes, that's a Beholder drone mode. It's also a smooth brain:

20211025_191003.jpg

as well as nightmare fuel:

20211025_191513.jpg

Once you see it, you can't unsee it:

20211025_191513 (1).jpg
    The yellow highlights are eye sockets, the purple highlights are snek nostrils , and the red highlight is the mouth (everything is well defined at actual size. That ZZ Top soul patch made of bones though . . .

20211025_190905.jpg 20211025_190753.jpg 20211025_190612.jpg

With the pictures out of the way, let's talk about:

5 mm Connection points:

Some of the 5 mm hex ports on my Ractonite are just flat out larger than a some of the 5 mm pegs on Transmutate. This is problamatic because the Ractonite 5 mm hex leg ports are larger than the Transmutate 5 mm pegs that are plugged into them to form the arms. The cannon arm will 100% fall out due to the weight of that arm and the other arm (which I haven't decided on an elbow/forearm/hand for yet) will fall out at least 85% of the time. If you have this issue, you'll want to thicken the pegs and not the ports and, you need to make sure that that the thickened pegs can still go in other ports.

Some of the 5 mm pegs on Ractonite are larger than some of the 5 mm hex ports on Transmutate. An example of this is where the Ractonite "legs" plug into the light blue plastic on upper torso so form the shoulder's front/rear lateral raise joint. Go slow, pay attention, and exercise caution.

The cannon:

This is 100% held together from nesting and friction. A 5 mm adapter that changes the port location angle (I don't have any) will make a solid connection point for the Ractonite skull to the Transmutate "thighs" instead of needing to rely on friction. If you bend the "elbow" (swing the Transmutate "hips") to where the forearm is at a 90° to the "bicep" the edge of the back of the Ractonite skull will nest against the "bicep" and it will be impossible for the skull to fall off when combined with the proper tension/friction form the tiny T-rax arms.

Balance:

This is going to be determined by the joint strength on your copy. The leg joints from the knees down on the Transmutate pieces got really loose really fast just form tinkering around with it today. All of the pictures were taken after that took place though so, it's possibly to have it stand unassisted and stay balanced but you will have to earn it (just like you do with any toy that has loose joints). This is a moot point if you have something like KiKi lying around to tighten the joints up.

Aesthetics:

I used the Ractonite "pelvis/hips" because they look better in that area than the "Transmutate axe" does. You don't have to have them pointed out to the side like I do. I did this because Transmutate had short legs in BW and, the legs on this toy are absurdly long if the hips aren't out to the side. This also helped with weight distribution and made it easier to to have broader "chest".

There is absolutely no way to attach Ractonite's rib cage pieces unless you cut them up so that they have clearance or you lengthen the torso with additional pieces. You will run into issues of not having a way to attach any arms though if you manage to lengthen the torso with additional pieces and you're also at the point to where the head is too small and the torso is far longer than it should be.

Off the shelf choices are super limited if you want Transmutate to be tall but look short/squat with long arms like it did in the BW CGI (and you're definitely not going to have really thin and flat limbs but the bones will look really thin next to anything that isn't slender like KBW Airazor, SS86 Kup, etc.).

The left (your right if face to face) arm:

It's unfinished since there isn't an elbow/forearm/hand. I can't justify purchasing another Selects Transmutate just to get another light blue T-rex foot/heel/ankle to plug into that arm much less cut the middle T-rex toe off of. That would be the closest looking piece but, it would still look too much like the feet even if I cut the claws off as well. I'm sure I'll figure out a cost effective solution at some point (e.g. when Paleotrex goes on deep discount). Nothing on Wingfinger looks right for that area but, I might be able to do some changes with parts from it (like swapping out one of the thighs so that both of Transmutate's thighs look more asymmetrical than the currently do).

Halloween/Cosplay:

#Ghostface
    20211025_220006.jpg

#MetroidDreadEMMI:
    20211025_215922.jpg

You've heard of the Seekers and the Coneheads but, have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Bonehead The Wise?
    20211025_215906.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  9. Galvamaximus

Galvamaximus Brazilian dinofan

My homage to Soaron, my favorite Bio-Dread from the TV Show Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. :) 
    FCkJXpsXIAQs355.jpg FCkJYX-XsAUfr2m.jpg índice.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  10. PoptiOptimime

PoptiOptimime Well-Known Member

Core Siege Soundwave

EFC65792-06E8-4C7A-8EC3-8CBB46D00744.jpeg 3523C3C1-0FD9-4304-B08E-3D3CABDCC2D5.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  11. greboguru

Dude these are BONKERS!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    *COUGH*

• Like Like x 7
  13. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    :eek: 

Nice! Looks a lot cleaner than what I shared, lol. My Hothouse just shipped in recent days, looking forward for its arrival even more now. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Racer_J

That show was so ahead of its time. The CGI was (and still is) wild AF because, it was bleeding edge at the time and the motion/movement is still super smooth/clean like rotosculpted cell animation was/is. The most impressive part was that the mechanical characters looked/felt like they actually had weight to them when the moved/fell/etc. CGI has failed to do that for at least the past 20 years, it's all gorgeous but none of it looks/feels like it has weight even when something crushes a vehicle/pavement (metal in particular has gotten really bad about looking/feeling like it weighs as much as paper does). Captain Power also did a lot of it poorly but, almost all of the modern scene compositing (other than Sin City) looks really fake now because the real life objects/people have vastly more contrast (the new Dune film was especially egregious in a lot of scenes on an OLED display). It's like everyone forgot they were supposed to be making CGI look/feel real as well as making the mesh/blend/layer look imperceptible to the real life footage it's on top of.

The toys were a ton of fun. The ships were clean while having an old sci-fi look but modern, and the figures were Mattel's best when it came to articulation. You could also mix and match them with G.I. JOE and Star Wars, which was unintended since all 3 IPs were competing 3 3/4" products from different companies (Hasbro, Kenner, and Mattel respectively).

If you think those were wild, there might be potential to turn the Death Chicken into a rendition of Horus using the cannon as everything above the shoulders but, everything else would probably have to be switched out with Weaponize and/or Modulator parts to batch the bulk/proportions (or several Wingfinger "rib cages"). I'm disclosing it because, it's not something I can mess around with right now and it really needs to stick with bones (I don't have a Winfinger yet and I don't currently have the budget to purchase several of them to try out an idea that might or might not work).

• Like Like x 1
  15. greboguru

Captain Power was indeed amazing. J. Michael Strazynski, pre-Babylon 5, wrote the hell outta that show. It was much, much better than it had any business being.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Racer_J

In the process of trying to cobble together a Horus from Mindflayer Trunk Tunk and Selects Transmutate, I discovered that the rib cage from Ractonite can "tab" to the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece. It's not super sturdy but, it would be if you thickened the gaps between the ribs a tiny bit. It's sturdy enough to stay in place though for display.

That all having been said, I know give unto thee, KBW Transmutate 2.0 . . .

20211026_163952.jpg

The tail arm is only there for counterbalance (I haven't decided on a final arm yet) because, the balance is really tricky due to the hips not being out to the sides (like my previous fan mode) combined with the weight of the cannon arm.

FRONT:

The front profile is "holy shit" levels of Transmutate:
    20211026_163627.jpg

REAR:

The rear profile is where you start to see the compromise of the T-rex skull but it has a very druid/Conehead vibe. There isn't a way to avoid the look of a solid back though without physically altering the Ractonite rib cage pieces and doing so will hurt the tension that keeps them on the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece:
    20211026_163306.jpg

SIDES:

The side profiles are where the compromises are in full display due to how the T-rex head funtions and Transmutate's blue neck not being articulated. You can swing the T-rex head forawrd in it's hinge so that the snout points forward but, there's no location for the blue neck to port into and face forward (placing it between the teeth looks really silly). However, it you have a 5 mm port adapter, you can swing the lower jaw until it rests on the blue plastic that it's hinged to, plug the adapter in the 5 mm port inside the lower mouth, then plug the blue neck into that. You will still have an entire T-rex skull in the side view though. There isn't another way to place this piece up there and knocking the pins out to remove the T-rex skull would result in no where plug the blue neck into.

The biggest compromise though is that the "spine" no longer arcs down and to the front like a rainbow because, using the axe piece results in a typical looking spine curve. The spine also loses all the snek articulation points since the axe piece doesn't have any hinged locations on it. The loss of spine articulation is by far the biggest drawback because, you won't be able to mimic Transmutate's BW CGI walk:

cgi_side.png

20211026_163400.jpg 20211026_163324.jpg

It's possible that Wingfinger might allow me to further refine the aesthetics of the "t-section" (the light blue piece that pops onto the spine and that the shoulders pop into) since it would remove the T-rex skull. I don't think there will be a way to attach Ractonite rib cage pieces to anything on Wingfinger that would allow for an articulated spine though. They also won't go around the Transmutate/Paleotrex hinge assembly that the T-rex skull is on due to the T-rex skull and, it wouldn't work even if you removed the T-rex skull because the hinge assembly doesn't have the width nor anything to grip the ribs.

Ultimately, i don't think that there is a way to do all the things using only off the shelf parts so, as with all things in life, you'll have to decide what compromises you want to make . . .

• Like Like x 5
  17. Racer_J

I'm working on refining Transmutate. I've gotten to the point to where nothing other than the T-rex skull sticks past the spine of the side profile. It also has some snek spine articulation. I wish that I could form a better "t-section" for the head and shoulders to attach to but, neither Ractonite nor Transumutate/Paleotrex have the parts to do so. Wingfinger's robot pelvis/spine won't work because it has pegs/posts instead of ports for the limbs, there would be no neck articulation, and it wouldn't plug in to the correct location without putting the shoulders in front of the chest or behind that back.

There are currently two major tradeoffs which I can't fix with what I have on hand.

The first tradeoff:

The chest is too full since it's the "back" from my previous attempt. I'm tempted to remove the lower two to four ribs as well as the axe blade that takes up the same space those ribs do. Doing so would bring the chest closer to what it should look, expose more of the spine and add slightly more forward pelvis crunch.

The second tradeoff:

There is currently a very noticeable coccyx (tailbone) at the front which just happens to be an area that will spawn a multitude of memes/jokes amplified by the fact it's made of bones. This is because I am using the Ractonite alt mode pelvis (the robot pelvis is only partially plugged into it so the is snek spine articulation) as Transumtate's pelvis. This wouldn't be an issue if I had a custom "bracket" with a 5 mm peg/post that I could plug in to the Ractonite alt mode pelvis because, the coccyx would be able to flip back over that piece and nest against it. That bracket would also need a 5 mm peg/post on each side for the hips to plug into. Knocking the pin out to remove the piece is isn't an option for two freasons. The first is that it's a flat pin so I can't remove it. The second reason is that Mindflayer Trunk Tunk's Beholder drone mode (and nightmare face) would lose the spine and I'm not willing to do that. I have an extra Ractonite but, I'm trying to avoid making changes that would negatively impact pieces when they don't form Transmutate's robot mode (el oh el, like it's not always going to be Transmutate).

The Ractonite alt mode pelvis piece also forces the left (your right if face to face) hip to be angled out a bit due to the shape. I angled out the other hip as well because the hips need to match and it helped with the balance. Both hips can point out to the sides like in the first version I did but, it doesn't look right because the chest proportions can''t be increased to compensate for it.

Against my better judgement (because of the coccyx) here are the pictures because, it would be difficult to try and guess that this WiP looks like:

20211026_214212.jpg 20211026_214529.jpg 20211026_214335.jpg 20211026_214309.jpg
    The front profile is misleading, both of the rib cage piece sit against the axe piece's blade. I didn't catch that I bumped the right (your left if face to face) side loose. 20211026_214423.jpg

Here are the pictures of the coccyx flipped in and partially nested:

20211026_215135.jpg 20211026_215018.jpg 20211026_215206.jpg

I would probably need to cut off the coccyx's vertebrae bumps on the area that faces the robot back as well as the ones on the sides in order to have clearance for a custom piece with the 5 mm pegs to cup around it. There isn't enough tension nor mass above the arched notch to hold mushroom pegs in even with nothing else attached other than the hips/legs/feet (I tried).

Ultimately, I'm at the point to where it's time to seriously consider and plan permanent modifications to a Paleotrex (which I don't have for practice prior to purchasing another Selects Transmutate) and an extra Ractonite. I can't really push the aesthetics any closer than I have with off the shelf Fossilizer parts (Weaponizers/Modulators are all far too bulky/blocky). I felt like that after the first version and then like that again after the second version but, I genuinely believe this is the end of the creative well using existing Fossilzer pieces. It's extremely likely that this will be my final post about Selects Transmutate's robot mode since any future changes will almost certainly be kit-bash territory unlessa 3rd party or aftermarket company swoop in (which I highly doubt because the pieces would need to be injection molding for support and it would be expensive AF).

• Like Like x 2
  18. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

I went and tried some “combined” modes using both Windsweepers. It’s terrible and yet I also like it xD
    5C34A82A-B65A-41E0-BC74-1EA3D2A456ED.jpeg 59701BB9-B6EA-4BA2-86F4-685A2668B559.jpeg 4D00483E-D7D0-47C8-A998-97045E9F4DA2.jpeg 485A1BDE-2F27-4D40-98EB-86492E8BE129.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  19. Racer_J

I . . .

I can't stop . . .

Mindflayer Trunk Tunk won't let me . . .

PlaEsE sEnD hAeLp . . .

I kept tinkering and then I found a really nice upper torso. I did have to cheat though because, the Ractonite rib cage pieces can't support the weight of the arms while staying "tabbed" in. I used a clear band to hold them in place and, that is temporary until I decide how I want to permanently attach them II don't mind permanently losing them from the Beholder drone brain and nightmare fuel face) and if I want to permanently remove any of the ribs for aesthetics. I wish that I could change the the orientation of the Ractonite rib cage pieces but, they need to be places the way that they are so that the shoulders can mount in the correct location and to prevent any issues with the following articulation points.

Upper torso kibble:

The only permanent kibble left on the upper torso is the T-rex skull (I think that I'm going to wind up knocking the pine out in order to remove it since it only forms the plucked turkey butt in the Death Chicken mode) and the blade of the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece. I've considered trimming down the blades closest to the pelvis but, it sort of mimics the pistons (they shouldn't be in the middle) and it wouldn't increase the range of motion at the pelvis crunch because the light grey spine (on the Ractonite alt mode pelvis) strikes the Ractonite robot pelvis before the tips of the blade on the Transmutate/Paletrex axe piece can.

I'm not sure if I will keep the shorter Ractonite appendages as the mount system for the arms or not and they are kibble right now because nothing is plugged into the main 5 mm port (those would be a great spot to mount wings of death). I didn't show it but, you can also aim the dark grey 5 mm ports towards the light blue plastic 5 mm ports and pretend it's ducting/tubes since there aren't any going from the back and up into the skull. I will most likely keep them for that aesthetic value. If I ditch them, it will have to be for something really short or some of those Nonnef 5 mm angle adapters.

Everything else on the new upper torso will stay in its current location though.

Neck/Jetpack Articulation:

The gold base that the light blue neck plugs into has a working hinge. The articulation range is limited by the blade of the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece and the light blue plastic it is pinned to (as well as the position of the T-rex skull as it can stop it from sitting flush on the light blue plastic). That light blue plastic section is plugged onto the the light blue 5 mm peg (the hinged one at the end of the spine of the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece) so it has a very slight rotation range which is limited by the light blue 5 mm ports at the end of it striking the Ractonite rib cage pieces (notching out the top two ribs on the back would prevent this).

The light blue 5 mm peg (the hinged one at the end of the spine of the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece) has a working hinge. That hinge accomplishes two things at the same time:

The first, is that it will move the gold piece (that the light blue neck is plugged into) into closer to the front because the light blue base of that gold piece is plugged onto it.

The second, is that it will change the angle of the port that the blast effect is in (it can aim both closer to and further away from the body). The articulation range when pointing the port that blast effect is plugged into closer to the body is only limited by the spine on the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece, the Ractonite rib cage pieces don't interfere. The articulation range when pointing the port that blast effect is plugged into away from the body is only limited by the vertabrae bumps on the gold piece (that the light blue nick is plugged into) hitting the blades of the Transmutate/Paleotrex axe piece, the Ractonite rib cage pieces don't interfere.

Those articulation points and being able to plug in a blast effect are substantial improvements.

Lower torso:

This remains unchanged from the previous post. I wish that the entire Ractonite tail piece had popped in via a friction hinge or better yet, a 5 mm port or peg/post instead of just the white tip of it. I don't think any other current Fossilizer piece will look as nice though as the Ractonite pelvis pieces do much less have any spine articulation. I really hope that I can find an easy solution that will allow the hips to stay where they are and for the coccyx to nest against the rest of the pelvis.

The missing arm:

I need additional parts to make one. Nothing on Wingfinger really looks right and none of those parts are a straight piece with a 5 mm peg/post at one end and a 5 mm port at the other end like the Tranmutate/Paleotrex piece I am using for the right (your left if face to face) cannon arm's bicep and front lateral raise shoulder joint. The spine section of the Paleotrex axe piece is too dark (this piece is really way too wide anyway) as is its version of the piece that I am using for the bicep on the other arm. I really want them to be asymmetrical yet similar sort of like the legs (I'm going to mix parts into the legs from Wingfinger when I get one to make the legs stand out and look closer to the BW CGI but the leftover parts won't work). I was planning on picking up a Paletrex (to make the fan mode motorcycle) but, it can't spare either of those pieces since they are both used. I really need 2 Paleotrex anyway so I can have one to make the bone necklace/armor with and, none of those pieces use the axe blade (I might also grab an extra Selects Transmutate for that as well to have a gold & turquoise indigenous people version) so, expect to see the same bicep on the missing arm with some sort of unknown forearm and partial hand attached to it.

Pictures (some of these are are washed out as the black isn't 0/0/0 because my eyes and the rest of my body are beyond exhausted):

20211027_015300.jpg 20211027_015140.jpg 20211027_015455.jpg 20211027_015209.jpg 20211027_015414.jpg

Closing thoughts:

I'm officially done with Selects Transmutate's robot mode until I can figure out how to fix the coccyx or, have some Wingfinger parts to play with the legs' aesthetics for an asymmetrical as close to BW CGI as possible look with off the shelf parts.

Any upper torso changes will be to permanently modifying the Ractonite rib cage pieces. If I do so, I will post them in a final update just so everyone can see it with a huge bold disclaimer that those pieces n o longer qualify as a fan mode (I mean neither is the clear band currently holding them in place nor however I wind up permanently attaching them but, that's somewhat "minor" since they don't ever need to come off for any reason).

• Like Like x 6
  20. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Cybertron Defense Hotshot with Tactical Cromar Flight Armor! :eek: 

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

---

Bonus: :p 

IMG_3007.jpg

cdhotshot022.jpg