Let's Look It Up in Bestiary-Monsters and Legends Discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sidewings, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom

This is place for all of Monsters and Legends lovers. You can share your favourite myth, urban legend, legend or monster(additional info are really welcome). Anything in this section is welcome. Have fun!

2. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

• Like Like x 5
  3. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooohh, this will be a fun thread! Ive always been fascinated by cryptids and reports of other "real-world" monsters (whether or not they're actually real.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Because I'm mixed with DNA connecting to Europe, Asia, Central America and born and raised in Oklahoma, I've heard and read many different myths and legends.

Bigfoot
    Jersey Devil
    Chupacabra

Funny thing about Bigfoot and the goat sucker, in Scooby-Doo and the Monster of Mexico; they said the chupacabra
    Is the Mexican version of Bigfoot. Not correct. The chupacabra is reported to be no bigger than 5 feet. It is reptilian in appearance and no hair. I've seen photos of a "dead" chupacabra and it does look like what witnesses said but to me they look like a small, hairless canines.

La Llorona (the crying woman) is something my mum told me as a kid that my grandma told her when she was a kid.
    From what I remember, a woman was in love with a man who rejected her because she has kids. So she drowned her kids in a nearby river, went looking for her love and he rejected her again as he was flirting with another woman.

La Llorona went back to the river where she drowned her kids, cried her eyes out and committed suicide by drowning in the same river. When her spirit was about to enter heaven, she was told to find her kids first and then she can enter.

And since then she has been searching for her kids, never close to finding them. It is said that hearing and/or. Seeing her will bring a great tragedy to your family.

There is a joke of her wandering around crying when a guy opens a window and shouts: shut the f*** up!!! People got to work in the morning! It's your fault you dumb b!tch! And she heads to the bar saying " I need a drink."

Not sure but the special zombie The Witch from Left 4 Dead might have been based on the legend of La Llorona and even more so in L4D2 where she cries and is wondering around.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sidewings

La Llorona history reminds me of cursed Diva from Castlevania, but instead of children she searches for her partner.
    Also that joke was great.
    Also her story reminds me of one of Slavian monsters called Poludnica, but those ghouls are not isolated cases. They are spirits of young girls who died before, during or soon after their wedding. After becoming a Poludnica a woman was haunting people with riddles, choking sleeping farmers, kidnapping children and attacking folk people around them. Poludnicas appear only in countryside and small villages.

6. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Should merge this thread with the Ghost/UFO thread.

7. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So will this be purely about fantasy and fictional creatures, or mixed with modern Cryptozoology?

8. Sidewings

I don't think it would be a perfect fit. This thread target factors are monsters and legends related to them.
    It's supposed to be purely about urban legends, fantasy and fictional creatures mixed with cryptozoology.

• Like Like x 2
  9. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ayatollah of Roggenrola

My mom is a native Norwegian, so growing up I became somewhat familiar with stories of trolls and the Julenisse (basically the Norwegian version of Santa Claus).

Trolls come in all sizes, but are usually giants, and always have tails. Some can have multiple heads. Of course, they’re very strong, but not very smart, and love to feast on humans.

If one spots you, your only options are either shoot it with a special bullet (I don’t remember the type of bullet, maybe silver), outsmart it, or run/hide until the sun comes up. If a troll is caught in the sun it will turn to stone, so they hide during the day. The rolling mountains of Norway can look like stone trolls lying around, which is probably where the legends come from.

I have a big book of troll stories, and here's a tidbit from one of my favorites:
    As part of a bigger quest, a hero ends up in a troll's house. The troll tries to be clever and invites the hero to sit down for dinner, hoping to fatten him up for consumption. Of course, the hero is wise to this, but knows he can't best the troll physically, so he has to outsmart him. As he eats, the hero secretly hides his satchel under his shirt. He then uses his table knife to cut it open and starts placing food in it. The troll asks what he's doing, and the hero explains that you can eat a lot more if you cut a hole in your stomach and put food directly in it. Well, the troll tries it...and that was the end of him :D 

• Like Like x 9
  10. Rodimus74

I think it would be a perfect fit. It's all the same shit you use to see on shows like In Search of, Sightings and Encounters.

11. MetalRyde

There is a story from Honduras about a young man walking home from work, he skipped lunch and had hungry pains. He decided to enter a jungle near him to see if he can find something to eat. He walked into an area where it was loaded with many kinds of fruit, apples, bananas, mangos pears and among others that were all absolutely delicious. The young guy ate as much as he could and decided to take some to his family.

As he was about to leave, a sign appeared out of nowhere saying "you can eat as much fruit as you want but you may not take any with you except the ones in your belly. If you try to, you will never get out of the jungle." The man didn't think much of it and walked away. He kept walking and it was getting dark and was still in the jungle and kept walking in the area where the fruits were in and decided to dump the fruit and left walking 500 feet in a straight line and found the main road to his town. He tried finding the fruitful area again but never could.

The next one is a story from where i live in OKC, though similar stories exist in many parts of the world.

In the southwest area of OKC, there is a bridge that if you drive through it between 10pm and 4am, you will see a woman in a white dress walking on the sidewalk. If you stop to ask her if she needs a ride, she will say yes and will get in your car, as soon as you are off the bridge, she will be gone.

On 3 separate occasions, I've used that bridge at night and on each time I've seen a woman in a white dress walking on the sidewalk. I never go to that area at night anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You should go back and take a camera not made out of a potato, which is one thing NO ONE EVER DOES that claims to experience the supernatural.

• Like Like x 3
  13. MetalRyde

Since OP mentioned we can discuss about urban legends, I like to speak about urban legends involving Video games.

I start with Luigi's Mansion legend on GameCube, Hanging Luigi. (The best ghost busting game until Ghostbusters the game was released in 2009 on Xbox 360 and ps3)

In the game when you get to explore the attic area, a phone will ring and when he picks it up, the camera zooms n at an angle and when the lightning strikes, it gives an image of Luigi's shadow hanging in the air as if he hanged himself.

Sonic R for Sega Saturn
    Sonic R is not the best game ever but not bad either. A racing game that has 4 (I think it is 4) unlockable characters (robot versions of Sonic and crew). It is said that if the player unlocks Tails doll and uses it in a race, the screen will turn black, Tails doll appears on screen and pulls a Shang Tsung on you.

14. Sidewings

I decided to boost this thread a bit by bringing up my favourite regional monster-Leshen
    Leshy is a Slavic shape shifting demon/monster who residents forests. Leshen limit themeselves to one per forest, but it's a bit unclear, because in some legends we had introduced Leszachka(Leshen's wife) and Leszonky(Leshen's children). Leshen usually took a form of an old man with bigfoot like body and his beard was getting as long as dense was the forest. They are neutral towads humans, but it was decided by how certain humans treated the forests. Leshens were either helping by guiding people out of the forest or sending wild animals to kill them. Leshens tends to act similar towards children by throwing their baskets with mushrooms and forest fruits or scaring away the bandits. Leshens could also turn into animals or wind. According to believing of prof. Bohdan Baranowski in XIX he claims that Leshen helped him escape from Tsar army by taking the form forest ranger, but he might made it up, because he wasn't thinking clearly while deserting.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Creepypastas?

16. Sidewings

Some of them originated from various stuff and ended up as urban legends, but only a few of them qualify as that.(Luigi Mansion, Sonic R, Majora's Mask, Mothman and Slender Man ) Most of the rest are not fitting there.
    EDIT: I forgot to add Sonic CD ,,Fun is Infinite" to the urban legends.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  17. MetalRyde

Not sure if it is only in Mexico but a myth says that if a person is walking in the nearby mountains and a white owl appears before them, one of that person's children will die young.

I personally don't believe it (I like owls, I fine them mystical, wise old owl) but my mum does and in 2002, she came over to my dad's and my house and grabbed every owl statue we had, put them in a plastic bag, smash them, went to a bridge and threw them into the river. She said it was to protect us.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rodimus74

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  19. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Rougarou/Loup-garou du marais:

Basically the French version of a werewolf that prowls the swamp. I was fascinated by this story as a buah. My Grandma would thrill my cousins and I with tales of a wolf-like creature that roamed the countryside at night. The bayous of Louisiana can be beautiful by day, yet creepy/eerie at dusk/night. As children, we explored the land by day quite extensively, yet never strayed far under full moon for fear the “rugaru” would devour us, never to be seen again. Some proposed it was birthed through witchcraft. To this day, there are still people deep back in the swamp that are into some really weird stuff. It’s believed that by placing a type of “rook” or curse on someone, this beast can evolve. Said individual must then bite another to pass on the curse. There are a few variations to this legend but this is how it’s told in my neck of the wood.

• Like Like x 2
  20. MetalRyde

Anyone familiar with the Cucuy?

• Like Like x 1