LEGO Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by BlackHawkOmega, Mar 2, 2024.

1. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    all right, take it easy.

• Like Like x 11
  2. memelordimus prime

memelordimus prime Member

i got a feeling bee wont be a squished vw but a normal one like netflix/legacy goldbug

3. memelordimus prime

memelordimus prime Member

if they do starscream is transformation would be complicated unless hes given the core class transformation

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’d really only be interested in a G1 Bumblebee. If it’s anything else it would be a pass for me.

Kind of surprised it’s happening. I assumed Prime was a one and done. Not too many characters lend themselves to being transformable in LEGO. I could see Soundwave in the future though.

5. Scully

Scully Ham Sandwich

lol

6. SquawkingtheTalk

SquawkingtheTalk Questioning my love of tf on the astrotrain

We are gonna get a cliffjumper and it’s gonna be awesome cause cliffjumper is cool and red and he is cool

7. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I wouldn't be so sure. LEGO sets don't follow redeco logic -- in some ways, having a set with the same parts but in different colors adds expense, though that's probably not a problem in this case since red is one of the more common parts colors. Lego has done only a handful of sets where they release the same build in multiple colors. Cliffjumper is certainly possible, but I wouldn't consider him likely.

• Like Like x 6
  8. SquawkingtheTalk

SquawkingtheTalk Questioning my love of tf on the astrotrain

As in the sense of using bumblebees instructions to create a cliffjumper

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vurveyann

Vurveyann Fein

Yeah I think that's what he's saying. It's still its own set that has to sell well even if it's an easy redeco. Same reason we can't expect a Nemesis Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And in that sense we'll definitely see a Cliffjumper, with fan builds if nothing else.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Voytash78

Voytash78 Emperor of Destruction

Well, guess Optimus Prime did well despite it's flaws. Still not my thing, Optimus Prime didn't look that good, I've seen better, I've done better. But if it's someone's cup of tea yeah cool for them.

12. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Reality check: the Lego fandom is bigger and will buy cool stuff regardless if they may be fans of that IP or not. If you hung out around Lego fan spaces, you'll notice a ton of non TF fans bought Optimus even if they didn't know who he was. Because it was a cool Lego set and it transformed. Jang Bricks, a Lego YouTuber I watch, got Optimus and loved it and it's his only Transformers figure of any kind.

This is going to be especially so if Hasbro and Lego actually license Volkswagen. VWs generally sell really well in the Lego space.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 9
  13. M'Kyuun

M'Kyuun Well-Known Member

As a lifelong LEGO and Transformers fan, Ill chime in. First, as others have mentioned, Brick Clicker has proven to be quite reliable with his forecasts of upcoming sets, so I'll take it on good faith that LEGO Bee is happening. Second, Joseph Kyde, a former Transformers designer at Hasbro who now works for LEGO, was the designer of LEGO Optimus Prime. Given his unique position as a designer in both businesses makes him a great liaison between LEGO and Hasbro, certainly someone who can work out the business details and also come up with a viable transformation schema on the LEGO end. Third, as others have pointed out, LEGO enjoys a long relationship with Volkswagon, and LEGO fans, myself included, own such sets. Fourth, as with LEGO Optimus, keeping to the simplicity of the G1 toy design works best for a retail LEGO model, as stability and safety are the primary concerns next to the functionality. To that end, I would be very surprised if this set was anything but G1 Bee, especially since the Bayformer aesthetic is quite complex and, even in an 18+ set, difficult to realize in LEGO. Not impossible, but difficult. I speak from experience as a transforming LEGO mecha designer myself. Bill McQuown

• Like Like x 8
  14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I wouldn't choose BB for the next lego set, but I'll take it.

15. skunkobot

skunkobot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good for you.

• Like Like x 2
  16. M'Kyuun

As a 40+ year LEGO collector and MOC builder, my experience with LEGO mirrors your sentiments. That's not saying they haven't done it before; the recent Creator Parrot set and the Creator Fiat were both released in recolored versions. However, historically, it's a very rare occurrence. Given the special nature of Transformers and the licensing involved, I have serious doubts that we'll see a Cliffjumper set, as it would likely be G1 Cliffjumper, requiring a different body style from Bee, and thus entail a completely different set potentially requiring parts previously not already cast in red to be so. That's a whole other expense in the LEGO world, as any recolored element is considered a new element within the palette. Moreover, I get the sense that these TF sets are going to be sparse, barely touching the vast roster of TF characters, for various reasons. Aside from Soundwave and his cassette minions, G1 Megatron and the Seekers are out due to gun regulations around the world and LEGO's no-modern military models stance. The F-15 continues to be part of air forces around the world, both American and our allies, which places it outside of LEGO's consideration. Soundwave is doable, but even with the current amazing parts palette, realizing the cassettes would still prove challenging. I wouldn't mind seeing them try, though.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Idk if they’d do it but I’d take a G1 Starscream that turns into some non-modern or even alien-ish jet. Same for a cybertronian alt mode Megatron, could be like the fighter tanks from Clone Wars
    Soundwave I could see them doing as a single release then a pack full of cassettes if they can work him out.

Goes without saying but Grimlock probably won’t be far behind.

18. M'Kyuun

I'm not a big fan of Cybertronian alt modes, as generally, they're lazily done and have little relatability. Too, since they modeled LEGO Prime from his G1 toy, and will likely model Bee from his G1 toy in kind (assuming that it's a done deal), I'd rather a LEGO Megatron also be modeled from his G1 self, but a gun or a tank are pretty much out, and I can't think of a single decent Cybertronian Megatron toy thus far that I've liked. Animated Megatron's alt was ok, it's a fictional helicopter and thus doesn't conflict with LEGO's no-modern-warfare-machine policy, and I'd grudgingly accept it. Likewise with Starscream and the rest of the Seekers; not too many good Cybertronian jet alts, but if that was their only alternative, I'd potentially get it if it I liked the alt. I'm a former aircraft mechanic and a bit of an aircraft snob when it comes to TF jet alts; all too often, they're extremely lackluster, inaccurate, and lazily executed, and just leave much to be desired, and that's usually the ones based on real world aircraft. Cybertronian alts are usually a step or two down from that. However, in all fairness, there are a few stand-outs that were well-executed, like Thrilling 30 Scourge (one of the all-time best aircraft alts inspired by the Boeing X-48).

If they did a Soundwave, I imagine he'd likely come with Laserbeak at minimum. Or maybe even Buzzsaw like the OG toy. I'm not so sure they'd get so involved as to do a cassette pack. My guess is these TF sets shall continue to be rare releases due to their nature and the difficulty in executing them in LEGO form for retail. That said, Since I was 13 in 1984, I've been hoping for a transforming robot theme in LEGO; it didn't necessarily have to be The Transformers, but I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth if that's what they want to do.

I hadn't thought of Grimlock, but yeah, that'd be cool. Maybe an Insecticon or two to round out the bad guy ranks. For any unaware of his work, Alex Jones, AKA Orion Pax, has been building Transformers from LEGO for over a decade. Although most of his MOCs are likely too fragile to be meet retail standards, they're pretty well-executed and just enjoyable for what they are.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Raiju

Raiju Mendokusai desu... Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I'm glad I was wrong in my fears that Lego and Hasbro's collaboration with Optimus Prime being a one-and-done deal. Bumblebee is a natural second choice in the Lego Transformers line seeing how Lego has licensed the Volkswagen Beetle as an official set before.

Which makes me hopeful that we might see Autobots Jazz (Martini Porsche 935 turbo) and the Lamborghini Countach twins (Sideswipe and Sunstreaker) eventually, plus maybe Blaster (boombox) and Grimlock (cartoony T-Rex).

I highly doubt Lego will give us any of the major Decepticons, unfortunately, seeing how G1 Megatron turns into a handgun and the Seekers (Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker) turn into F-15 Eagle fighter jets. Soundwave (and his minions) is the only villain I could reasonably see as a possible Lego set seeing how he turns into a microcassette player and wouldn't be problematic or having to pay additional licensing fees.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You can immediately count out Jazz. Lego won't do anything tied to alcohol which Martini & Rossi is an alcohol company that also sponsors racing with their own team and livery. They're also notoriously stingy licensors, believing that licensing toys is beneath them and dilutes their brand.