Legends Super Ginrai vs Titans Return PM Optimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by BigTFTrev, Feb 8, 2017.

1. BigTFTrev

BigTFTrev Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Note: I ordered both as I wanted them for separate displays. PM Optimus for my 'Optimus with Trailer' display and Ginrai for my 'Different Generations Characters' display. That's how I ended up with both so thought I may as well share my thoughts on them :) 

Comparison between Legends LG-35 Super Ginrai and Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime

Vehicle Mode

[​IMG]

Ginrai looks a lot more similar to the original toy whereas Optimus looks like an updated version, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The black guns on the top of trailer work a lot better on Ginrai and his robot feet sit a lot more flush at the back. I have to give points to Optimus for a new style and Ginrai for a more balanced look.

Base Mode

[​IMG]

6 of 1, a half dozen of the other. Both don’t look flash to me. There are a few differences with the different chest pieces that come up to be the central seat for the Headmaster. The towers on Ginrai work being put higher due to you being able to place the black guns half way up, something you cant do with Optimus due to his robots hands not rotating.

Robot Mode

[​IMG]

One of the most significant differences are the ankles. Ginrai’s have been extensively retooled in order that they pivot better and provide more height. This makes Ginrai slightly taller than Optimus overall. Optimus’ hand guns look that bit more impressive but Ginrai is able to hold his better due to maneuverable wrists. The chest armor is slightly different as well. Overall I think Ginrai does look that bit better than Optimus here.

Apex vs Ginrai
    When comparing the two, Apex transforms into a head which looks a lot like Orion Pax, with the Optimus helmet going over the top. Ginrai turns into an Optimus head with… er… an Optimus helmet going over the top. Ginrai has lots of detail and (even though you probably cant tell with my bad camera) even has a little human face. Apex by comparison has bland colours and a featureless head.

[​IMG]

So who to choose?

To be honest, despite my plans for them I still feel like I wasted my money a bit by getting both. They are just too similar to warrant the expenditure on two Leader-class figures. At this stage if I was to pick one I’d pick Ginrai.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    If you're an Optimus Prime collector, I think they're different enough to have both. Ginrai is definitely the better of the two if you are only to get one. Before even getting into the physical differences, the colors are quite different. In PMOP's favor is the Orion Pax head, the better base mode, and the more cohesively colored trailer.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    With Magnus Prime inbound, I think it is even more clear the regular TR Powermaster Prime is really its own distinguished thing.

I remember the fairly frequent fanbase complaints, just prior to Titans Return wave 1, how TR would supposedly be way too G1 slavish. "Generations should be about modern interpretations" or "Masterpiece is the only line supposed to be G1 accurate" and all kinds of similar arguments were thrown into TR threads.

Yet here we are and most people will flock to Super Ginrai and the upcoming Magnus Prime. So afteral, they want G1 looks and functionality (Gondbomber combo).

TR Powermaster Prime is clearly the Generations interpretive mold. And besides, I am having so much fun creating Shapeways upgrades to him such as my arm fillers and the feet upgrades will put him in his own niche of Marvel G1 UK comics style.
    So yeah, the mold is not without its shortcomings, but it is also underappreciated sometimes I think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pyrotechnic

pyrotechnic Junkion

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I've been wondering if the feet can be switched between the 2 versions. Love my Pmop but would lile the better hands and guns but dont like those feet or any plans to get God Bomber.

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I gave him 5mm peghole hands with my arm fillers. Working on ankle tilted feet at the moment : Heavy/Scratch: - My Titans Return PMOP upgrades