Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NOCV, May 8, 2020.
Joints done in the arms, and refined the shape of the forearms.
I can't say with certainty, but I am willing to bet that they never made this one because the wings were impossible to figure out. Such a pain in the ass, even with a computer!
This beetle-babe is DONE. I just have to update some of the pin holes that got enlarged while adjusting scaling, and then the sprue needs laid out.
She should look great with Blackarachnia.
I think I nailed the original design, although I updated the insect legs to follow a real ladybug's.
Yeah, I'm gonna' need this.
I'LL TAKE YOUR ENTIRE STONK!!!!
Hey NOCV! I gotta say this is so impressive and you're doing an amazing job and service from the original art designs and I'm a fan!
One question if I may ask? Are you leaving out her back head thrusters designs that are shaped like long robot hair? Or you have them planned still to design and integrate them?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate that.
I really tried to capture every detail of the original artwork, and not make any changes to it. Unfortunately, once I got into the engineering of making the beetle carapace work in the transformation, I found that space underneath it would be too limited to include the head thrusters.
Here in these colored component views of the design, it's a little easier to discern all of the parts from each other. On the left is the side view, and there you can see that the front hinge in the beetle back butts right up against the rear of her head where the thruster detail would be or begin. On the right is the front view, showing how her robot arms come in together, taking up the space that the long robot hair would occupy. While it may look like there's a little bit of space in there for something, It's only enough to allow for something thinner than a millimetre. It wouldn't be enough to really show much detail, and anything put there would hinder the robot head articulation.
I was using a larger version of the carapace at one point (the final design is actually the fourth configuration of wings and joints I did in trying to get it all to work), to try to sidestep the above issues so that I could include the thruster part, but it was just too big. Being larger, it really altered the profile and proportions of the ladybug, making it look much more like a tick. It also would have added more to what I worry is going to be a back-heavy figure (thankfully the current design has the carapace almost touching the ground in robot mode, so it should provide some stability when she's standing).
So, I did try, but there just wasn't a way to do it that didn't interfere with the rest of the figure in some way.
It really does look fantastic. It blows away my already mile high expectations. Just all around great work, as always.
I wonder if it would be possible (maybe somewhere down the line), to develop a sort of parts-forming "helmet" to add the thruster piece to the back of the head. Just a thought. It's definitely not necessary to improve what is already an amazing mold!
Thanks a ton.
The head is just on a peg, so I could include an alternate head with the thruster detail as an option. It just wouldn't be able to transform with it on.
Well, whatever you decide to do or not do, I'm in.
Just amazing! Can't believe she's finally going to exist physically.
Thanks! I'm excited to get her in hand and see how she functions. Hopefully I'll be ordering my test print before the end of the week.
I was doing some finishing work on this one today, getting her ready for printing, and my son suggested she should have some weapons.
She already has the arm-mounted cannons, so we decided some sort of melee weapon would be best.
Given that she was originally designed by a Japanese toy company, I went with a traditional Japanese weapon; the war fans.
Looks like a perfect fit!
We now have alternate, thruster-head!
That's perfect already has a kabuki-like face.
Setting up the sprue is probably my least favorite part of design work, but I always think it's neat seeing all of the parts laid out.
This bad girl consists of 35 printed parts (including the alternate head), one screw, and seven pins.
Cool. Great choice.
just found this. out of the few figures you have going on in dev at the moment, i'm really gravitating to this one. i think you nailed the design very nicely to the source!
probably too late at this point, but i hope you don't mind some feedback. personally would want to see a bit more of an overhang of the helmet at the front of the head, which may make the head in beetle mode larger, which i think would be a good thing. also the chin not so sharp and long and contoured down/in more. and lastly would love to see those two cutaways on both sides of the helmet extend all the way to the front.
Thanks for the feedback. I do have the prototype shipping out this week from Shapeways, so I may incorporate that into any revisions I have to make before selling.
Separate names with a comma.