Legends LG41 Lio Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If that is Sentinel's head again, I'll be disappointed. It worked for Bat Convoy because the original toy had a different sort of faceplate, but they should've waited and used Octanimus Prime's head.

Even though the mould was made specifically for Alpha Trion and homages the only two Alpha Trion toys to exist?

It's from the artwork the toy was based off of.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mrcreativename

mrcreativename Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you, I absolutely love everything about this and Alpha Trion, but that strange tumor growing out of the beast mode heads is just killing it for me completely.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fun. 

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Toy still looks like a hot mess that barely resembles the character apart from the headsculpt. Good example of how "can" and "should" are not synonymous

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Explain how it is a "hot mess" and why if that's true, why does it have details specifically recalling the Botcon Vector Prime retool?

"Hot mess" is one of those terms I see people use when they don't like something, but can't think of a way to explain why, as if they're not merely confident in not liking it, they need to justify it somehow like they need validity.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    That does look like the Sentinel Prime head, which is a little disappointing seeing as there's the Voyager Optimus with a different head and the Titanmaster Optimus who'll presumably be the Star Convoy head we've seen before coming out. It's a shame there'll be three characters with the same head... although it occurs to me that this will be the only use of it available for Takara at regular retail.

7. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Neat. If I could afford to get him, I would.

Still, if there is one guy I'm waiting to see use the mold for its Thundertron.

8. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Wouldn't have been my first choice for this mold, but eh, it oddly really works. The spaceship/carrier aspect of it almost makes it a must get for me. Makes me think of a helicarrier for space. Like something out of macross or Yamato.

Now I kind of want Harlock's ship as a transformer too.

Kind of hope we get this down the line from Hasbro. Though it's probably more detail painted than they can do. But I really do like it. Has a nice "leading a space fleet" kind of vibe to him. I was kind of expecting Thundertron. Or whatever that TFP space pirate was named. But this, this oddly really works.

Unicorn Lion Fleet is go!
    Unicorn lion fleet space battling unicron. One typo and you won't know which is doing what!

*Edit*
    Which reminds me! I need to go shopping and find Alpha Trion. He's a must get. Hasbro really poured in the love with his design nods to the previous figures he almost got figures with, and also trying to blend in his new stature as one of the original 13 now. I do hope they do a deluxe release repainting Scourge for the more ardent and hard to please G1 fans, but I definitely want both versions. Original 13 Primes Alpha Trion, and a more G1 toonish deluxe representation.

Haters gonna hate, but I'm gonna say it. Thank you Hasbro. A3 has long needed a proper mainline released figure, and I hope you take the "complaints" as verification of how bad it was wanted and appease them by doing a deluxe version using Scourge's mold at some point.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Called it.

Now I am wondering if this will be his post-Transformers Prime form, or his Grand Lio Convoy form.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Because this toy actually homages the original character better in the line made for updating old characters. Go figure.

I don't really care about whatever other shitty redecoed figures Alpha Trion got in the past.

Looks nothing like G1 Alpha Trion beyond the colors and the proportions and sculpting just look like a cluttered shit.

The sculpting isn't fixed any on this but at least the alt mode and robot mode lion kibble actually makes sense.

11. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Looking very nice. :D  I knew Takara would go for something like this.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Since when is Vector's Prime's chest hole a regular recurring design element of Alpha Trion himself? How does it match up with his typical silhouette? Since when has he had random lion parts just draped off of him in any context other than a botcon comic? If your introduction to this toy was seeing a grey headless prototype, would you have guessed he was good ol' A3?

It works as a curiosity, nothing more. It's more befitting a left field BotCon-type release rather than a mainline representation of Alpha Trion should be. How would you like it if Generations released an Optimus Primal toy who turned into a bulky racecar? BotCon did it, so it must be okay, right?

You're very familiar with this type of argument. You're one of the last people I'd expect to stick up for it like this.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Masktique

Masktique #1 Sideways Fan

News Credits:
    Looks nice, but I may have to skip this one with how heavy Titans Return has been on the wallet. Can't have them all, especially with how fast the TR figures have been released.

14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I knew it. Sadly I don't like that mold for Lio Convoy. I'd rather have a slavish recreation of his original look. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see better pics. But I doubt it. Seems I probably really better have to hunt down the Robot Masters version :(  While it saves money, sometimes it's annoying to be so picky.

But the colors DO look nice. Hm...

15. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Looks far more appropriate as Lio Convoy. You could tell right from the start that the Alpha Trion mold was originally meant for someone else.

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea... this as alpha trion was laughable at best. victor prime was a much better fit for alpha trion. the original mold should have just been broadside. i know broadside is an aircraft carrier that turns into a plane. but an aircraft carrier that turns into a plane, sounds like it is defeating the purpose of an aircraft carrier. so, turning into a lion sounds a lot cooler.

but as lio convoy, it looks amazing.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Maybe he meant in terms of not fitting the personality of the character. I don't remember Alpha Trion ever being a King Conan type of character basking in the lamentations of the women.

18. rooker

rooker Banned

no takara alpha trion???

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I suppose they did have to use the head at retail some time. Convobat is an exclusive so doesn't count.

20. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.