Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Really IGN?

How many games have they marked down because "the lack of voice acting really took away from the game"? There's reviewing and then there's fangasming.

I can see an 8. Maybe a 9. But to call it 10 and say "It's the best Zelda game of all time, ever"?

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I dont see how a 10 rating is inconsistent with a lack of real voice acting. Nintendo has the habit of mastering problems that pop up due to their own self-imposed limitations and restrictions. Hell, the games graphics are proof of that. It runs on 10 year old hardware and still looks beautiful.

As for "the best Zelda game of all time", I doubt it. Thats just a huge bar to pass.

4. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    IGN aren't really the best of sites to get reviews from.
    In other news, game got a 10 from Eurogamer!

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review • Eurogamer.net

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I hate IGN, but a game like this getting high marks across the boards is still exciting as hell.

6. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Obviously I haven't played it yet. Unless you're with the press or a review site, all you could've played was the demo. Keep in mind the stuff I mentioned isn't opinion based though, except for "and revisiting areas, even though it's purposeful, could get old." There will always be three main areas of Hyrule in this game, that's not an opinion. Considering Nintendo said they wanted a vast sense of scale in this game, they could have at least interconnected the areas, especially since they're so close together. One of TP's biggest flaws was NOT it's large size, but the fact that it all felt empty. The silent realm gameplay is practically the same as Twilight Princess. It plays the same way as in Twilight Princess (find ToL, go to next portion of area, find another TOL), it even has the same vessel as the tears of light did. Except now you have to worry about stealth. Ask anyone about stealth in a Zelda game: they hate it. Especially after Phantom Hourglass. But keep in mind I didn't only complain though. I complimented the story focus and controls, but people have been gushing over those things for so long there's no point in rehashing the praise just so people can read the same stuff again. With all that said this is still my favorite game of 2011. It's just not 100% perfect. It has flaws clearly visible even to people who haven't played it, and even though it is an AMAZING game, those flaws can keep it from being perfect. And as I said, just my view on the game, which won't be entirely set in stone until I play the entire thing. You don't need to let it get to you one way or the other :) 

7. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

10 does not mean perfect. It just means masterful in what it does which is explained in the written review.

Well, TP was also marked down due to lack of voice acting and music presentation being not as good as it could have been. They also said TP was the best Zelda game ever in that review too.

8. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

9. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
  10. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Pretty cool review, reading it makes me want to play like now :D  I can't wait to receive mine, might be a few days after the 20th though since I ordered online, but still, I'm eager to play it now!

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only a few more days :) 

12. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know! I can't believe it's so close to release. I'm going have to hurry up with Twilight Princess. I'm only at the "City in the Sky" in my latest playthrough.

Too bad GameFAQs is so terrible right now. GameSpot gave Skyward Sword a 7.5 so there's a huge uproar. The guy not knowing how to play probably doesn't help though. Isn't he the same "Zelda expert" who forgot how to fight Gohma?

13. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Sekai no Hakaishin

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    4 more days!

14. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the game coming out so soon I'm starting to regret not playing it at Toys R Us. The next time I'll be there is when the game comes out so my regret is fading. :D  Though I'll try to play Mario Kart 7

I heard from people who have played the game that the Lyre controls are just timing your left to right movements with the circle expanding and contracting which is disappointing. But so far that seems like the only disappointing element. Though in a way that's a relief for me. I can't finish Spirit Tracks because of how much I suck at playing the Spirit Flute.

15. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

Not going to get into the politics of reviews, any media experience differs from person to person. I prefer to just use it as a guide, if a review says a game plays crap is probably the only time I will avoid it like the plague.

My copy should, hopefully, arrive tomorrow as it was shipped on Monday, then I'll be able to decide for myself what it's like =]

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do all of my gaming primarily on PS3, but lately Nintendo has been making me very happy. The 3DS is shaping up, and the new Mario game is a hellova lot of fun, and I am really anticipating this new Zelda. And I have a certain level of hope for the Wii U. I see where they are going with it, and I just hope it gets realized.

17. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Mine was shipped out today so will be with me by Friday :D  my friend was really lucky and got his copy today!

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, man. I have to wait until Sunday, you know, just in time for work the next day, lol

19. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Nintendo Life 10 out of 10
    GameSpot 7.5 out of 10 :( 
    Destructoid 9.5 out of 10
    GameTrailers 9.1 out of 10
    VideoGamer 10 out of 10
    Eurogamer 10 out of 10
    Digital Chumps 9.8 out of 10
    GamingTrend 93 out of 100
    Giant Bomb 4 out of 5
    GamePro 4 out of 5
    Machinima 9.5 out of 10

20. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Lol, I swear Gamespot did that just for the internet traffic which was pretty much what happened for their TP review.