Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 13, 2011.

1. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that thing was a real bitch. They get much easier when you get the Beetle, though.

2. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Lol, yeah. I don't even remember how I beat it. I think I used a spin attack to whirl it out of control and then used a forward jab.

3. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I just arrived at the
    Temple of Time

You guys are gonna love the time shifting puzzles

4. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I had trouble with one of the Skulltulas as well, because I couldn't figure out how to fight it when it wasn't suspended on/by a web, but they're actually very easy to kill.
    Do an upward vertical slash to knock the Skulltula on its back then you can kill it with a fatal blow. I stumbled upon this when furiously swinging at it in frustration.

5. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Yep. That's the main reason the first one is tougher than the rest because you can use the Beetle to cut them down.

Anywhoo, going to begin the 7th dungeon tomorrow. Can't wait!

6. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just finished the Gratitude Crystal quest. The end result is really worth it. Not because it's an awesome item or anything but because of the events that happen.
    Batreaux becomes a human who looks just like his demon form. He gives you a wallet that can hold 9000 Rupees and Skyloft is peaceful at night. I don't have to hurt any more kitties! YAY!

I also got a little bit closer to the seventh dungeon.
    Collecting Tadnotes is sooooo boring! There's like no puzzle solving at all. All you do is swim slowly and flip over a lillypad. Exciting![/sarcasm]

The bokoblins stealing all my stuff was really cool though. It was strange not having my sword or bow with me. I really like the stealth element. There was one part where you had to hold onto the ledge to keep from being detacted.

I think I'll get to the seventh dungeon tomorrow. I have two early days in a row so that might not pan out. I really don't want Skyward Sword to end so quickly. Sure, it's going to take me over 50 hours but it feels so short since I've been playing every chance I get.

I have to hunt down all the Goddess Cubes I'm only 8 Heart Pieces short of 100%.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Took a break from Skyrim to play this last night. Thanks Giga for the suggestion. Playing while sitting down made a huge difference, lmao. Yeah, ok, so I thought that this was one of those Wii games that you stood up to play. Nothing but love for this game. Like Wind Waker, this is one of the few Zeldas where I genuinely get into the story.

8. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I agree. I have to eat my words from a few pages back. The game is really great, it just has the WORST intro/tutorial area in a Zelda. Now that I'm 20 hours in, I'd put this in the top five Zelda games.

Sitting does help a ton. When I play I just roll my office chair right into the center of the room, and it plays great. I only need to stand up to do tricky bomb rolls anymore.

I figure with all the patches Bethesda is rolling out for Skyrim, I'll let them get all those out and finish up Skyward Sword in the mean time, lol.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's really a crime that there isn't an option to turn Fi off. Yes, it can be a tricky, complex game, but having a reference journal that you can read at your liesure would have been worlds better. Stopping a game so often, and using annoying sound queus to tell you things is such bad game design that it's like they had the game completely finished, and someone said "Stop, let's see how 4 year olds like it" and then every time said 4 year olds had a question, they decided to add a game stopping tutorial, even when it was redundant. I mean, something like this shouldn't marr a game this good, but it does. For me anyways. Enough, at least, to disagree with some of the those perfect scores I've seen.

I love how early on, you are confronted with a ledge that's slightly too high for you to climb up. Next to the ledge is a crate. This is gaming 101, yet THEY STOP YOU AND TELL YOU THE LEDGE IS TOO HIGH AND THAT THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING THAT CAN HELP YOU GET UP. Thanks game, I'm happy you assumed I couldn't sort that out.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    yes for ous gamers and xelda fans we know how to do it, But think about the mass owners of wii that has never played a zelda before.

Anyway, just beat my first dungeon and I love the game so far. I sitt with penn and papper and write down stuff so I dont miss them when I cant get to them yet like rocks that can be blown and so on. Really helps.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think some of these concepts are simple problem solving skills most people who can put a disk in a system should know, and if there are people who can't figure this out, I don't think it's wise to cater to the lowest level of player constantly. Beyond that, as I said before, tell a person there are tutorials in the menu that they can go to anytime and stop forcing people to stop in their tracks and assume they need that help.

Even as a kid, I found it fun to explore and experiment in video games, and these frequent interruptions are taking some of the fun out of that.

12. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, the hand holding can get a bit tedious, sometimes even silly, but Fi's personality (if you can call it that :lol ) helps me get over it.

Anyway, going through the 7th dungeon now, and god do I hate slide puzzles!

13. Kujo1597

News Credits:

;_; Please tell me you don't mean ice sliding puzzles. I absolute hate those especially after the final dungeon in either Lunar Silver Star Harmony or Tales of Eternia(I forgot which). I'm headed to the seventh dungeon tonight.

Then again, I hate ice in games in general.

EDIT: About the hand holding. I'm in the camp that doesn' like how much of it there is. Fi is the queen of stating the obvious. It's tiresome and reminds me of the extremely slow beginning in Enchanted Arms but in the entire game and not just the first three hours. Yes Fi, there is a good chance that the big fancy chest contains the "key" to the boss door. It did every other time.

14. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^No, not ice puzzles, thank god, although I haven't beaten the game quite yet so who knows. Though Pokemon games have enough of those that I'm used to them :lol .

I mean the puzzles where you have a bunch of squares, but one is missing and you have to slide them around to make a pattern or something. Always hated those ever since I was a kid (there was a Mickey Mouse game for the SNES that had one of those as a final puzzle).

EDIT: Well, looks like the final battle is almost upon me. However, it wouldn't feel right to end it like this. After all, the Master Sword is only one half of the perfect "Beating Evil" equation. Time to pay a certain dragon a visit!

EDIT: This is it. Final battle. I've got the Hylian Shield (mostly for the principle of the matter), two Health Potion +'s, and one Health Potion ++. Let's do this! I'm gonna beat him down so bad that Vaati is going to get bruises!

15. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

WHAT!? It has slide puzzles!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-eh, they're not too bad.

16. The Primes

The Primes Well-Known Member

I completed the Song of the Hero today, along with getting the Hylian Shield and the remaining Gratitude Crystals. The end is drawing near.

On a random note, apparently there are only 24 Heart Pieces in the game, so you can only have 18 Hearts without equipping the two Life Medals. That also means I'm only missing one Heart Piece instead of nine.

17. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, game beaten. Gotta say, the final boss gave me one hell of a workout. I'll probably give the game a bit of a rest before going through Hero Mode. Which, after looking it up, sounds like it'll be all kinds of hard.

18. Kujo1597

News Credits:
    Yeah, I just finished the seventh dungeon. I have the guidebook with a labeled map so I didn't find it too bad. I didn't read the directions it just pointed out that I don't need to work with the one specific puzzle since a needed room was stuck in a corner. After that it was all on my own. It was a little disappointing since I was expecting something harder. But at the same time I'm glad it wasn't too difficult. I'm in the "I hate sliding puzzles" camp. But it was very creative and cool.

Rant AHOY!
    I decided to go for a 100% run anyway since I was only 8 Heart Pieces away. I'm having a alot of issues with getting a Goddess Wall to recognize my Triforce so I don't think I'll ever get all of them. For some stupid reason it seems to think that a Triforce is whatever the heck gives you three hearts. I don't know how it can mix up a Triforce with a heart since a Triforce is the complete opposite of a heart.

And no, he did not give me a Piece of Heart for actually drawing him a heart when he wanted it. He gave me 20 Rupees. Apparently this is another thing the guide got wrong. God that guide sucks. It's stupidly vague. If I'm using a guide I'm obviously desprate and need help, so why on earth are you giving such vague clues? There aren't even good pictures showing what you need to do. The maps are nice though.

Rant STOP!
    But I'm only three Pieces of Heart and a bottle short of 100% though so the night wasn't a total bust. Just Gorko made me mad. I wasn't too happy with Fledge for a bit but he did throw a x2 pumpkin when I needed another 100 points in the next 5 seconds which made me get exactly 600 points. Plus his game is fun unlike drawing on a wall. I used the pull back while holing C method. The shots charge much faster that way.

I took some pictures of my successful runs of Fun Fun Island and the minecart game. Gortran is freaking awesome! I think it took me six or seven tried to get his and I lost count of Fun Fun Island. All I know is that I made a heathy profit. I'm good at getting through the rings I'm just terrible at landing on the 50 Rupee space. That clown took so much of my money. ;_; I was worried I would be broke but I left with an extra 900 Rupees. :D  I'll upload the pictures later. It was very exciting for me.

Now I just need to go through my checklist so see what Heart Pieces I missed. I didn't keep track since I wasn't going to do a 100% run. I also need to find that bottle. I'm assuming it's a Goddess Cube. I got one from them already.

I have nine places left to check for Heart Pieces. Eight if you exclude Gorko. I'm not even sure if he gave me one or not. I know he didn't when the guide said he would. But other people have gotten it for different objects so I have no clue.

I think I need to do the minecarts again. Gortran is just awesome. Plus I had a ton of fun with it.

EDIT2: I found a video showing how to draw a Triforce. I'll try that method.
    I went diagonal down-left, straight right, diagonal down-left, diagonal up-right, diagonal down-left, straight right, diagonal up-right until the top and got the "I have no clue what you drew so I'll give you three hearts because you're special" result every time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Drawing the triforce wasn't really a problem for me, since you had to do the exact same thing in Phantom Hourglass.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'm progressing a lot slower then most of you guys, I beat the first dungeon this morning. I had a far harder time with the 3 headed snakey thing then with the Demon Lord. Mostly because I'm left handed, so sometimes it doesn't read what I'm doing quite right; for example a horizontal left to right slash will read as diagonal right to left, then horizontal left to right slash.

At 7 hours 27 minutes playtime, I'm still having fun and I know I've got a lot of game ahead of me, which is nice. I want a long game experience from this.