Legacy United Triple Changer Sandstorm Found At US Retail

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Pterodactyl with a Pee, Apr 6, 2024.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just wanna say yeah...this guy goddamn kicks ass.

1000018651.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  2. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Had I known this was new I would’ve reported it! Ugh lol. Norman had this since last Tuesday.

3. M'Kyuun

M'Kyuun Well-Known Member

Concur. As triple changers go, one alt generally takes the brunt of concessions, oft to an egregious degree (Blitzwing's jet mode); however, LU Sandstorm's alts enjoy a good balance. Neither, of course, is perfect: the helicopter tail is readily apparent and makes for a ludicrously small spoiler relative to the buggy. The heli nose halves, although sculpted well to be flush in both buggy and heli modes, look a little odd and would have served the buggy far better had Has/Tak devised a way to turn the windows from black to red to appear like taillights. The copter mode suffers from the buggy's front tires visibly lying flat against the underside of the tail and the oddity of the large back tires partially visible under the chopper's nose where there should be retractable nose gear. Similarly, the main gears would have been better served had Has/Tak engineered them to retract into the arms/side pods, as it would have been accurate to real world large helicopters and planes. These are niggles, and though I'm an aviation fan with experience in the field, I can overlook them in light of the whole and what Takara achieved with the design. He's a solid fig: articulation exceeds the standard, he's relatively hefty despite the lack of metal, the tires are made from a rubbery plastic (why isn't this standard on all vehicle alts?), nothing comes untabbed when manipulating his limbs, he comes with four accessories: two guns, a working winch, and a small cage which gives functional utility to the helicopter and detail to the buggy mode. It serves less purpose to the bot mode, but if the main rotor is popped up, the bars of the cage can be slid under them allowing him to carry it like a backpack with no undue harm to the rotors. There's also a fair bit of paint on this figure. The likeness to his OG toy is remarkable; he's a very well realized update and I'm happy to have him in my collection.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Speaking for myself here, I have to say that I swallow the higher prices because I don’t have many more figures left that I need to get. I’d probably be more bummed if I were just starting out, though.

• Like Like x 7
  5. VerdantWind

VerdantWind Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. Every time I see the current size of these new "leader class" figures being just a smidgen taller than a voyager, I'm reminded that there was a time when the gigantic DOTM leader Ironhide was only $44, and I thought THAT was expensive :redface2: 

That reminds me of this video lol

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  6. JasonTFW2005

JasonTFW2005 Well-Known Member

G1ers including myself are whales for Hasbro and they know it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. M'Kyuun

M'Kyuun Well-Known Member

To a point. I passed on Siege Astrotrain and Legacy Blitzwing because one or more of their alt modes was wretchedly bad, although I thought both had good bot modes. But I want the whole package to be well-executed. MechFansToys realized toy-inspired versions of both Blitzwing and Astrotrain that are extremely well-done at legends scale. It's telling when the same company who created the G1 toys, given a leader class budget and an opportunity to bring better engineering to the table, produce toys with alts that fall short of the OG toys. Astrotrain's shuttle looks largely unfinished on the upper rear section and he's missing his OMS pods completely. His locomotive mode fares no better, as the front set of wheels are woefully misaligned with the rest which protrude away from the body of the train like a giant set of saddle bags. Blitzwing's tank mode suffers from the oddly protruding jet canopy, which of course is an artifact both of the OG toy and its translation to cartoon. All things considered, when doing updates, when the OG toy has awkward design features like that, favor the update by omitting them. Lastly, Blitzwing's jet mode suffers the worst, with a goodly portion of his tank mode just folded up on the bottom of the jet. The G1 toy had a cleaner jet mode. Moreover, MFT were able to realize Blitzwing's alts exceptionally well without all the concessions the Has/Tak toy has. I realize third parties don't under the same constraints; what I posit, however, is that there's often a better solution that ends in a better design, and in many cases, it just feel like Takara phones it in. My two cents.

Credit where due: Legacy United Sandstorm and Siege Springer both turned out very well which demonstrates that they have the capability to make a good triple changer. It just seems odd how hit and miss they are with the different figs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ExiaDefensor

ExiaDefensor Well-Known Member

Blitzwings jet is a massive let down and the tank is eh (overly accurate?). I don't get the astrotrain comments though, he seems acceptable to good in every mode to me all things considered.

That all being said, and any can disagree, imo there's always a sacrifice in a triple changer. Sandstorm (again my opinion) is sacrificed in bot mode instead of his alt modes. That being said, it's small and he's looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pterodactyl with a Pee

Pterodactyl with a Pee Get it? ‘Pee’ since he’s translucent yellow? Hehe

News Credits:
    Man, I personally thought it was his buggy mode that was sacrificed, but then again, his buggy mode was never anything besides a rectangle with wheels that’s sits at a slight angle.

• Like Like x 1