Legacy United Origins Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by DaftRaider, Mar 25, 2024.

1. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haven’t transformed him yet, but I was impressed with the level of articulation for something so blocky and kibbley . It probably has the best articulation of any Wheeljack I’ve handled

• Like Like x 1
  2. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've collected Transformers pretty consistently my whole damn life which means I have bought a hell of a lot of figures over the years. This one right here though... I think this is the first time I have been really hit in the feels by a figure. I've always loved Wheeljack as a character and I'll never forget seeing him among those first few G1 bots on screen as a kid. He's not a perfect figure but he's pretty great. More than being a pretty great figure though, this one feels like a bit of a pay-off on all my years of loving this franchise. I transformed it to floating box mode for the first time just now and I feel straight up emotional about it.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He is a fascinating piece of origami. I transformed the thing and even I can't believe I got that cube from that robot.

• Like Like x 10
  4. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wheeljack is excellent. Easily my favorite of the Origins figures. Despite the ridiculous ambition of the gimmick and all the panels that need to fold around, he is by far, at least for me, the most pleasant of the three to transform. So long as you do everything in the right order, it all flows very nicely without feeling like you have to force any bits of plastic around other plastic (cough cough Jazz). Both modes are surprisingly solid once everything is in place. I haven’t been able to get bumblebee all the way into van mode yet, tho. I must be doing something wrong. It’s close, but feels like it sits up too high right now.

The articulation is better than any other Wheeljack figure I think I have, which is nuts considering the chonk.

My only real gripe is that I wish they'd painted his little wings silver.

Overall, wheel jack is a real surprise. I almost canceled my pre-order, only keeping it because 99% of the reviews I saw were absolutely glowing (and correct...sorry Deluxe). At $35 before shipping (which I had to pay for,) he’s definitely pushing it in terms of value. But as a feet of engineering, it’s pretty staggering. And he feels very solid too; the plastic feels slightly better than what we tend to get.

I have a LOT of Wheeljacks....and I think this is my favorite version. It's just such an excellent, big-swing design for a toy.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually cancelled mine, but seeing in person, I picked it up. It's worth all the sacrifices.

Aside from coming with every feature imaginable, There's so much that you can do with him, think of the micromasters and cores that ride in the back.

Somehow the transformation is enjoyable and they used transparent plastic mostly correctly (as separate inserts), with the exception of his chest. There's a lot of love here.

There are a couple of minor things I'd change, but Its a major achievement.

For Bumblbee, make sure his nose goes over the inner dash area.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

It also hit me last night that another thing I love about this figure is we went from svelte body sports car Wheeljack to Dad bod Minivan Wheeljack. It’s both hilarious and somehow weirdly touching considering where we all started as fans to where a lot of us are in our lives now.

It’s just a top tier toy all around. Easily going to be a long time favorite for me.

• Like Like x 6
  7. jametron

jametron Take a good plane and shave off all the edges…

News Credits:
    Hey, speak for yourself, but uh, @Dachande and I certainly haven’t changed one bit…

IMG_3584.jpeg

/\/\/\ actual photo, taken just last week.

• Like Like x 6
  8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For all of his derpiness, he's an instant classic due to the tie-in from the first episode of the cartoon. Plus, people are gonna want to complete the collection after getting Jazz and Bee. Shortcomings aside, I like this guy and the fun stuff they incorporated into him.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    Glorious Prime... 1000008383.jpg 1000008381.jpg 1000008382.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  10. Scharniergelenk

Scharniergelenk Member

I also wanted the wings to be silver. Some chrome paint and here we are.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  11. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is most the satisfying square of an alt mode I have ever seen.

20240407_083149.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 22
  12. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Couldn't have picked a better figure to make for the 40th anniversary. Is it perfect? No. But it's still a fun figure with a panel heavy transformation that doesn't feel like a pain in the ass. And his robot mode looks better than the Earthrise figure. Definitely recommend him if you're on the fence about it.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Overall I like it, but damn if mine isn’t a study in worthless tabs. In bot mode both inner leg panels, both forearm panels, and the chest/head panel - none of them tab into their slots AT ALL. Zero friction. Yes, I know how to slather goop onto them.

Cool figure otherwise, and rock solid tabbing in alt mode.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  14. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Really? I wonder if that's a batch issue. The tabs on mine all work perfectly. Like, I was shocked at how pleasant it was to tab together. But I noticed Deluxe Baldwin seemed to have a similar experience to you. I thought he was just ill (he sounded sick in his vid).

• Like Like x 2
  15. nate412

nate412 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also had trouble with none of the panel tabs fitting into their slots in the first initial transform, but after retransforming to robot mode again and back to vehicle mode, I noticed that making sure the bottom clear green chest panel’s pegs fitting into the holes at the bottom of the feet before everything else was connected was important. This allowed the angles of the knees and thighs to be equal, therefore making everything else fit into place easier. It seems like none of the tabs fit initially because one thigh was angled out more at the knee than the other thigh, causing everything to be lopsided. And even after the second successful transform, there still seems to be a good amount of tension, but it’s way more stable than my first initial unsuccessful transform

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  16. EMPEROR NOVA01

EMPEROR NOVA01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Picked him up before going eclipse-watching.

He’s pretty neat. Transformation reminds me a bit of the “layers of panelling” description that the Dreamwave bios did to explain the size changing for Astrotrain and Broadside.
    IMG_4573.jpeg IMG_4574.jpeg IMG_4579.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  17. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I guess I didn’t specify- everything tabs together beautifully in alt mode. It’s bot mode where he has the issues I mentioned above.

• Like Like x 4
  18. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it’s just the forearm tabs that aren’t tight. The leg tabs are good and even better now that I’ve shaved off the heads of the white plugs for the rear windows. (See earlier post for the mod)

19. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My copy is sublime. Everything works as it's intended: tight joints, awesome articulation (ESPECIALLY for such a beefy, boxy bot, I mean he can pull off a running pose with no aid and using only the figure's stock articulation), impeccable paint and all tabs/ slots work perfectly. I wish all figures worked and felt like this.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    This stupid dorky hoverbox has to be my favorite vehicle alt mode in quite some time. It is just pure, dumb fun. I want more boxy Cybertronian alt modes now that match and complement the aesthetic of Jack, Bee and Jazz. I’d love to see a concept figure of what a Cybertronian Optimus’ alt mode might have looked like. And no, I don’t accept Siege designs as the answer. :lol 
    Siege is fine, but the vibe and look just isn’t the same as these.

• Like Like x 7