Legacy United Leader Class Tigerhawk

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by lethoma, Dec 7, 2023.

1. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Defo pulls off the Iron Man landing pose pretty good.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Got this guy today and he's pretty cool. Way better than TM2 Megs. I love the colours, articulation, and he's really solid.

My only gripes are all to do with the beast mode. It's not nearly as good as the original. The headsculpt is a little weak, mostly the silly flat cutout eyes, but I also find the neutral expression kind of lifeless. Also the rear legs are pretty scrawny, but that is probably because they no longer make up the chest but instead are covered. Also I get that it's trying to replicate the show, but I find it kind of funny that the orb on the robot shoulder gets completely enclosed just for an itty-bitty dummy orb to replace it on the chest. :lol  I also would've liked if the robot feet could fold farther into/through the legs to hide better, but then we'd lose the cool pistons.

Biggest boon for this due though is the wings. Hollow spaces aside, they're pretty great and I love that we're free of the hair-trigger gimmick that formed the launchers to fire if you dropped the wings on the original. Also the non-hollow side looks great and I love that they kept those clear green overlays on the joints.

Overall a really good figure. It's almost everything I loved about the original Tigerhawk toy minus the things I didn't. I still love that old toy for its size and colours, and this won't be replacing it, but it's cool to have a modern update of such an under-rated design.

• Like Like x 16
  3. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Here’s the tank mode. The wheels are sculpted on too… I know the TM2 “vehicle” modes were always a bonus (utter delusion since they look like horseshit), but it would be nice if DNA replaced the entire wing with new ones with wheels? The tail doesn’t scrape the floor at all too, after all…
    IMG_4958.jpeg IMG_4959.jpeg IMG_4960.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sadly, I canceled my preorder for this after seeing pics here and a video review. There just seem to be too many off points that I don't think I'd enjoy in hand, so it's best for me to pass for now.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Architects

Architects Well-Known Member

So I got mine in today surprisingly after he was supposed to get here after the new year, then yesterday got a shipping notification, to then getting him on my doorstep before noon.

First impressions are that I like him. Yeah he is lacking in certain areas, but it is what it is. If anything is good about him, it’s his joints. They feel solid. I don’t have the QC issues others have on initial tinkering.

That being said, I’m bothered by the lack of wrist rotation or articulation. Hoping DNA does something but they’d hasically have to make an entire arm starting from the bicep. Also I doubt they’d match colors and it would be overpriced with a bunch of stuff we don’t want.

I think the only thing we can fix without 3P intervention is the head upward tilt. Attached are three pics I took immediately after getting him and ripping his head off. It looks like the ball joint head sits behind this cut away, but honestly? I think we can just Dremel off this little strut that goes across to relieve stress and not have to worry about the ball joint slipping out. No more than I think Armada Starscream (ironic considering I think he has some of the same design issues as this guy like the wrists but he’s a deluxe so…). But I think at the very least we can get away with shaving it down from the inside and maybe a bit off of the bottom without destroying the figure. I honestly think it can just be removed completely without having to worry since the joint is tight as hell. I’m kind of nervous to do it myself, but maybe after the Christmas season so I can buy another if I destroy the figure entirely, which is doubtful. At worst I’d have a head that pops off if he looks up, which he already can’t do :) 

IMG_5799.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  6. Architects

Architects Well-Known Member

Sorry I’m rapid firing posts here. Posting 2 normal pics because I like that you can do things with this figure. Even the funny under arm blaster from literally 1 scene in the show. I also managed to get decent QC on his back legs too. A first for me. I usually get screwed on QC (had to return and Frankenstein 3 Armada Ops until I broke down and filed down a peg so the shit didn’t break). I went from wanting to cancel my preorder to really liking this guy despite the design flaws. Transformation was fun and solid feeling. I know I’m gonna get paint chipping on the robot arms eventually but at least it’s white. That being said, I think the paint is pretty tough on this guy.
    IMG_5800.jpeg IMG_5802.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  7. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20231225_130814.jpg

• Like Like x 21
  8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    My review is going to be a bit different. I have a MIB original TM2 Tigerhawk so a majority of this will be more of a comparison between the two Tigerhawks. Note in images the original is lacking all of its launched spring bits. Those pieces are still sealed in the box and I don’t want to remove them.
    IMG_9778.jpeg IMG_9779.jpeg IMG_9780.jpeg IMG_9781.jpeg IMG_9782.jpeg IMG_9783.jpeg IMG_9784.jpeg IMG_9785.jpeg IMG_9786.jpeg IMG_9787.jpeg IMG_9788.jpeg IMG_9789.jpeg IMG_9790.jpeg

Despite the original’s box towering over the new one both figures are overall the same size. Original is bigger in beast mode and Legacy is a tad bigger in robot. Original is clearly the heavier one of the two.

To make things straight forward the Legacy one is a pretty faithful update. Just take the original toy, take away the spring gimmick and update the sculpt and deco to be show accurate. Which means you loose the awesome hawk battle mask in beast mode. Also the one clear glaring issue with the new one is its big waffled inner wings.

The new one has better feet and is way more stable but it leaves a big weird phallic looking object coming out of the front beast paws.

Another complaint is the beast face. I find it to be a bit to wolf like. Not sure if it’s the ears or the bottom jaw that gives it a more wolf like appearance.

So if you are a Beast Wars fan it’s worth picking up. If you are interested but not a BW fan I’d say wait for a sale.

• Like Like x 18
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I thin it's the way the snout narrows slightly and the cheeks stick out too far sideways. It's definitely a poor sculpt and the weakest part of the figure IMO. It's strange given Kingdom Tigatron had a pretty good tiger head sculpt.

• Like Like x 6
  10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I find all of the beast sculpts have been really strong until this year. All of the felines in Kingdom look great. Legacy Evo Lio Convoy might look like a depressed Lion but it still looks like a Lion. SS Cheetor has a face that looks bear like and I agree the the snout on Tigerhawk is to narrow. It doesn’t have that wider puffy upper lip area of a tiger. I don’t know what it’s technically called. I’m an engineer and not a zoologist.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    This never really bothered me until you pointed it out. It looks more like a cross between a wolf and a bear, than a tiger.

It doesn't really kill my enjoyment of the figure. It's a weird mish mash creature so it still passes to me.

What does kill my enjoyment of this figure is that the ratchet joint in the figure's right hip snapped. There's enough friction there for it to hold a pose still so the figure isn't entirely borked, but it has gone on my display shelf now.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

20231231_180029_1.jpg

Hmm...

th.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  13. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

One little minor gripe I noticed last night. In robot mode the "beast back legs" that rest on his shoulders, its like one beast back foot has a peg that you can see intended to fit in the groove on his shoulder to keep it in place, but the other one the peg is way too short to like actually "peg" into it to keep it in place. Anyone else notice this?

14. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I'd venture that this is a defect on your copy.

Pegs (and shoulder slots) are equal length for me. The right shoulder required a bit more finagling to get into place, I will say

• Like Like x 2
  15. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-01 at 02.21.27_03ff2b65.jpg WhatsApp Image 2024-01-01 at 02.21.27_c7804491.jpg

I took a couple pics as reference. You can see the right beast foot clearly has a shorter peg, but it looks way to clean and smooth to have broken, if I wouldn't had known better I would have thought it was casted that way in the mold. Just wondering if anyone else has this or just me? I'm not gonna send it back over that. the joints are tight enough on mine where it stays in place without a peg just fine

• Like Like x 2
  16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Could be they poured a little bit too little plastic in the mold. I’d try for an exchange.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  17. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I've just checked mine specifically for this and both mine are definitely the same length. I'd say you maybe got a bad pour in the factory.

18. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Like I said in my previous post, the joints are all tight enough to where the legs pretty much stay in place just sitting on the shoulders. To be honest I didn't even notice there were pegs on the underside of the beast feet to even know they could peg into the shoulders my first couple times playing with it and transforming it. Its not broken or hinders the toy's transformation or play value in any way to me, so I'm ok with it.

Well good to know than. I'm usually pretty lucky with QC issues on my figures, but when I do have one it always seems to be an odd one like this.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, this. Megs was a big disappointment to me, but out of the box I really like Tigerhawk.

He feels very solid. Fun, complex transformation; good details; nice heft.

Edit: my only complaint is the outward hip movement. The lock for beast mode means they're either straight up and down or out in a wide A-stance. No in between.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't cancelled this yet because I just finished watching Beast Wars and thought he was cool in his short amount of time on screen. I wonder if they'll do a Premium finish of this character in the future though?