Legacy Skids and Bulkhead revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ezim93, Oct 20, 2021.

1. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because G1 fans never throw fits….. Hey look over there, prime has grey hands!

“this is unacceptable!!!!!”

• Like Like x 11
  2. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like I said he evokes him only on a weak and bare surface level, he is a failure at evoking Bulkhead's character. Bulkhead was known for being a gentle giant type with proportions more akin to shorter legs with bigger arms (and a round body even though he had a rather angular car mode in Prime). Bulkhead was never a guy with traditional heroic proportions and specially not one this blocky, this character design evokes a hardass like Ironhide or Roadbuster personality wise than any Bulkhead. And that is only on the feel, if we get down to actual features all he has going for him is being green and having the front of the truck as his torso, which is not enough, it is like saying we could get a G1 Prowl out of giving Studio Series Jazz a Prowl head and gun when you would be missing everything else his character had. Where are his huge arms and short legs? (no excuse for BUT ITS G1 on this one, we have G1 characters that do have those features and some are even in the WFC toyline) Where are his raised back panels? Why not give him something akin to the clawed hands he had in TFA? The list goes on of ways they could've made actualy interesting visual connections to him.

We know the answer for those questions: Because they want this to be retooled into Optimus Prime, but just like the Blue Hound from SIEGE did not scratch my desire for a modern TFC Hot Shot, this Bulkhead does not fulfill the dreams of a G1-fied Bulkhead I've had since 2008 or so.

This is a boring and nondescript toy, he is Bulkhead, but he is bad and boring one, and you shouldn't put your hands to your head wondering "i dont know why people arent happy... something changed..." when it is clearly that what changed is the design methodology itself, again, RTS Lugnut is badass and creative, this Bulkhead is boring and obviously compromised to become a Optimus, if you want to set low standards for yourself on what constitutes the character feel free but don't be shocked at those that aren't pleased.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Reactions to Bulkhead seem to be split between “yay! A G1 Bulkhead”, and “Ugh, a G1 Bulkhead”.

It’s disappointing since Kingdom and SS have shown Hasbro can really deliver on show accuracy, even for stuff like BW.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

What could they do different from Prime Bulkhead toys that would make it worth buying compared to the old toy though?

Why not change it up?

If they just did something very similar to Voyager Prime Bulkhead I would pass, I already own it.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

They know what they're doing. If you were 10 or 11 when you watched Prime, you're 21ish now, and probably have a job with disposable income. It's been a while since Prime, and if you didn't follow the series or Transformers since then, just seeing "Transformers: Prime Bulkhead" is a good way to get a figure purchase out of people who think it might be fun to own a figure of a character from their childhood. It's green with a similar head and a wrecking ball weapon, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the extent some people can remember of the character.

Considering that BW stuff in general has a different aesthetic since it's all organic animals, them more closely resembling their characters is understandable. Not many G1 characters use the organic animal aesthetic as there are G1 characters who turn into a car or truck, the only ones I can think of are the Animal Pretenders. If BW were robotic animals like what were in G1, though, I can guarantee they would have been compromised to account for the robotic animals in G1, so they can get 2-3 characters out of the single mold. Whereas there's no real difference with vehicles, truck's a truck. So "G1ifying" a character who turns into a truck lets them make more characters from one mold.

• Like Like x 1
  7. prime241

prime241 Westbeasty

Twitter:
    I think Bulkhead actually looks pretty solid tbh, a nice blend of Animated, Prime and G1. Skids however looks so unfortunately awful it almost hurts. T30 Skids stay winning

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the opposite problem people had with Rhinox, fully identifiable as the character, but his head wasn't show accurate so many called him crap. Bulkhead here pretty much only has his head and mace as recognizable as being from Prime and people are saying the same thing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PloverNutter

PloverNutter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did a quick size comparison of the two figures by matching the physical props in the picture and the colored rocks in the sand, as well as the 5mm ports. It may be a little off but at least this gives us a rough idea how they scale together.
    upload_2021-10-20_14-35-44.png

• Like Like x 12
  10. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same guy who gave us this to base the new Bulkhead's truck mode on:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to wonder... if we hadn't had the leaks that we were getting new versions of TFP characters in Legacy, I have a strong feeling there'd be way less butthurt 'iT's aN iNsUlT tO tHe FaNs' shit going on and people would just be excited that we're getting reimaginings of beloved characters that will fit in with modern collections. But when we heard the leaks, everyone had their own initial thoughts about what they wanted and/or expected the figures to be, and they feel betrayed if the reality doesn't line up with what they seem to feel they were promised even though we weren't supposed to know that information in the first place.

I still find it odd that people were expecting them to make new toys designed to fit in with a line that hasn't been on store shelves in almost 10 years.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Enemy

Enemy Well-Known Member

Wow. I was expecting Bulkhead to be terrible, but I wasn't expecting it to be this atrocious.

• Like Like x 5
  13. MattOnCybertron

MattOnCybertron Well-Known Member

Well at least APC isn't letting us down

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah, I still don't get the difference between this and RTS Lugnut.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Papa Zoinks

Papa Zoinks you're mother

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    ill probably get more used to the wonky design of skids, the only thing i hope for is that theres a way to angle the cab of the front of bulkheads truck down a bit in robot mode to give it more of an angle, would probably make it look a bit better

• Like Like x 1
  16. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

I can definitely see how bulkhead will be turned into beast hunter prime, they borrowed the front wheel transformation from the voyager bh prime, included a mini gun, and the back part folds out in way that definitely could be used as a template for prime's jetpack. reflecting on it i feel its not much them forcing bulkhead to be g1 as it is forcing him to be a pretool for prime, i wish they wouldve done bulkead from someone else. maybe the pretool for prime could've been an earthmode interpretation of g1 roadbuster

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So when do we get to see the rest?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I can easily say as someone who refuses to indulge in this "G1 fan", "Prime fan", "Animated Fan" dichotomy which amounts to nothing more than an internet sandbox fight, I've probably got a pair somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chadderbug

Chadderbug Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    Well, it doesn't look like they connect. There's just a fold-out black tab on the underside of the tarp which, once it's configured correctly, forms into a shield.

20. Cedtron

Cedtron Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I am glad the WFC aesthetic continues in LEGACY.

• Like Like x 3