Legacy Metroplex Reveal

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Apr 19, 2022.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not as nice as the 50% off one-day sale they had a couple of months ago (and sold out really fast on, of course), but it's something.

• Like Like x 4
  2. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Well-Known Member

3. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
  4. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Does it help to point out that his ass is in the center and what your seeing is him snapping his ankles?

• Like Like x 6
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, it's more like he's laying on his back.

He and TR Fortress Maximus both have garbage alt modes for titans (I'm aware of their homage to the original garbage alt modes) but Cyb Metroplex is slightly worse to me in that the end result doesn't really bring a compelling finished mode...so you can easily get lost in transforming him because there's no particular waypoint to achieve. You'd think he were easy but it's not clear if a part is supposed to be swung one way or the other, turned, or switched around as there's really nothing to guide you to an end goal. Fort Max's flying fortress mode at least takes the "I fall down on my back" approach and can be done in a few steps. In short, for looking pretty basic, Cyb Metroplex is anything but intuitive thanks to being nothing really definitive in alt mode to begin with. He looks impressive in robot mode but that's about it.

7. RangerXML

RangerXML Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Legacy Metroplex looks like he should include a ball gag when he’s in alt mode.

8. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love me cybertron but I can't justify even that sale price on a $200 toy that's got no cyber key or minicon

9. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

He's on sale right now and I can easily afford him. I need you guys to convince me him and G1 Metroplex are not the same character so I can justify the purchase. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Whovastron

Whovastron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, he’s a fantastic figure and a lot of fun, very worth it at a discount

• Like Like x 2
  11. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Cybertron Metroplex, Aka Megalo Convoy, is Scottish!

• Like Like x 1
  12. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

One's American, one's Scottish.

• Like Like x 3
  13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Other than the same name and overall color of white, they really have little in common.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Can G1 Metroplex rock out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's there to convince you that they're not different characters?

Name? Size?

There's how many different Optimus or Megatron, or Starscream, or Bumblebee (get the point?) characters?

Think of it that way and you'll be fine. ;) 

16. Michchall

Michchall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    For all purpose he is a different character, Hasbro throw Metroplex name just for Trademark reasons, same with Scourge. In Japan he is just Megalo Convoy.
    20230725_151259.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  17. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

I gotta get him a kilt.

I always thought the "antenna" was an indicator but I guess it's true that they're pretty different design-wise.

I would argue yes.

Well, with the exception of Optimus Primal and Megatron who actually canonically are different characters, I usually view those name reuses as different incarnations of the same guys. Kinda like how Godzilla 1954, Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla 2014 are all versions of Godzilla and are ostensibly the same character, just the story is being told in different ways. Usually an indicator of two characters being different versions of the same guy is if you've never seen them appear in a given timeline together. In other words, it would be weird for Armada Optimus to interact with G1 Optimus as if they're two completely different people. Hence why I skipped Armada Optimus, Megatron, and Starscream, but picked up Hot Shot and am very excited about Tidal Wave.

Metroplex is admittedly a little different though, since Cybertron is just an adaptation of Galaxy Force and in that his name was Megalo Convoy. G1 Metroplex goes by Metroflex, so there's actually an argument that they were never intended to be the same guy, and it was just a weird call Hasbro made.

This was my thought process too, justifying bad decisions lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    He has enough "call backs" that it's clear that G1 Metroplex was at least the starting point for the character design...but then, like, Armada Jetfire, went in a very different direction. Hasbro also probably wanted to retain the name for future Metroplex options and they have to play a "use it or lose it" game.

I know many fans wonder why Evergreen is a thing. It's so that Hasbro can retain the nomenclature of certain characters they never want to lose. If your favorite character shows up in Evergreen form, congratulations, Hasbro sees that character as a priority character to never leave the franchise.

19. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have any attachment to the show nor character, but after seeing enough great pictures, when he went on sale last year, I decided to get him.

I'm glad I did... he's a great giant figure, the articulation is excellent on him, his colours vibrant, and while many have a thing about the alt mode, I found that it's a selling point because as a giant excavator, his size ends up on a decent scale to match with Omega (for one example) but also with the mainline figures. Placed next to other construction vehicles and such, it really works as is, so no magical mass shifting or anything needed with him, he can stand next to any deluxe, voyager or leader figure (or combiners) and it works.

The only annoyance I have with him were the mitten hands, so I did get the DNA kit (with the two extra companion figures "Drill Bit" and extension) and that made him fairly perfect.

I don't really care that he's not the G1 Metroplex as much as I originally though, as the more I consider the toy scale, the citybots actually are bad for it and turns out that I'm pretty good having this guy instead. Should the citibot G1 version get redone, I'd have to really consider how they'd redo him and he'd need that his alt mode works for the mainline figures, otherwise I'd pass. I know that I used to hope that I'd manage to obtain the G1 (Generation) one day, now, not at all.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  20. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

I dunno. I just got Armada Prime and, in my head canon, Gigawatt travels through dimensions and experiences the war from different universes. So G2 Optimus, Armada, Earthrise are all co existing.

Isnt Cybertron Metroplex from a different planet? I’m looking at him $118 is super sweet deal. I’d jump on it.