Legacy Menasor

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shlockwave, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    Before anyone says it, yes, this probably should be a review under Legacy Motormaster...but I chose to do a separate review for two reasons: A.) Menasor is technically his own character who B.) is NOT just Motormaster, but a combo of five toys. But if this thread needs to be merged (like a combiner) into another thread, I'm good with that as well. Let's get started:

20230120_175925.jpg
    So after practically a year of single releases, I finally have all the pieces to complete my favorite of all combiners. Throughout the past year, I've read how some people dislike the idea that Menasor is nothing but a giant robot frame with cars slapped on his limbs. And while that is basically true (if you are beholden to the G1 animation model) it still counts as a Combiner, as many have tried to write off. Yes, it seems lazy, but for me, that's part of the charm. Sunbow character models can be extremely absurd, but dammit, I love it.

I'd like to make mention of how great it is to have the Stunticon team that resembles their old school selves. Especially Motormaster, who is back to being a complete cab and trailer, versus just the cab solo.
    20230120_174000.jpg 20230120_173944.jpg
    The only blemish of course is Breakdown, who is just a Ferrari with a spoiler, rather than the Lambo he deserves to be. A small complaint, that doesn't hold back on the bigger picture.

I won't dive in on the transformation process, since it's tedious and has been reviewed through the Motormaster thread. I just want to give my impressions of the big guy. 20151010_091241.jpg
    So I wanted to show some comparisons. On the left is the original CW Menasor. We can probably agree that it was a floppy unstable mess, especially compared to the other combiner offerings of that line. While I was happy to have an updated Menasor and even defended that version to some degree, it had some terrible flaws. My Dead End would just not stay together in this form, Menasor's "bull horns" and the truncated torso were among the gripes I had for it. In the middle image is the same toy(s) using the upgrade kit. I wasn't a fan of the giant shoulder paldrons, but I liked the new head and torso upgrade. I missed out on the upgrade feet and hands, but utilized the PotP Starscream combiner feet since they had tilts. The extended sword was neat as well. However, he was almost worse at staying in a stable standing pose, despite looking 75% better. Finally on the right, the Legacy Menasor stands solid, feels tight and secure, is super-beefy in hand. He doesn't look like a shambling monstrocity...which isn't a bad concept for a combiner that looks the most Frankenstein of them all with his multi-colored limbs. In short, this guy is a wonderful update of the 80's toy in cartoon aesthetics.

20230120_180644.jpg
    But man, he's a big fella! Weighty and solid, he feels powerful. Rachet joints are nice and tight, and he has no issues standing without any imbalance. I think the engineering on this is really good. The fact that it feels more engaging "slapping cars on limbs" versus clicking the cars as limbs in some shoulder socket gives this high marks. I really dig the vehicle separator mechanics of the arm components. It really feels like the designers didn't want this to be a dull experience and put some thought into it. The leg "trick" is neat, if not less executed well.

20230120_180741.jpg
    The headsculpt is fantastic. I couldn't look at CW Menasor anymore without hearing that awful voice from the Combiner Wars cartoon. I much prefer the cold-dead stare or vapid expression of this guy.

20230120_180809.jpg
    Also, the backside cleans up nicely! Everything seems compact and well-engineered. All limbs feel secure in their posts (Unlike PotP Volcanicus!)

20230120_180127.jpg
    Bottom line: this is the first combiner I have ever held that feels mighty.If I were a kid, I'd have no trepidations about using him to beat up my autobots without feeling like he'd fall apart in hand.

I do have my criticisms though:
    I do wish the cars used for the legs were more visible in this mode. To even get a hint of them, you need to position the feet outward to the side a bit to even see them. 20230120_180815.jpg 20230120_180822.jpg

And yes, they are super tight on the pegs. Both applying them and removing them is a lesson in controlled force. I can't decide which will break first - the car or the pegs! It's a pretty nervous moment, which has me debating how I want these guys displayed.
    20230120_181201.jpg 20230120_181232.jpg
    His "cyclone gun" is a shoddy afterthought. It's fine, if you really need him with a gun...but man, do I wish I had his original rifle. I know I can get a 3rd party one, but I've spent enough on this guy, and I need to just be happy I have him.

20230120_181550.jpg
    If you are creative, you can find ways to include each of the Stunticon's weapons, although probably Dragstrip and Dead End have the best options. The rest are left with random spots to plug them in without adding any cool factor.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    20230120_180452.jpg
    Legacy Menasor is an apology for CW Menasor. Those of us who love this team/combiner, now have something worthy of display and something fun to pick up and fiddle with. 20230120_180215.jpg
    While it sounds like I am anti-Combiner Wars (I'm not, as I love Ambominus and wished I had gotten CW Devastator) it's more about how well Hasbro has come from the last attempt to appeal to gestalt fans. I am very pleased with this iteration and for me, an aging enthusiast, I have no need to replace this guy for any foreseeable reason.

Thanks for giving me your minutes!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 21
  2. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

Me personally, i like to have his antenna swept back slightly. I like this combiner, though the PE effect addons for CW Menasor are keeping me from replacing him outright. (Plus i love the PE headsculpt, no regrets)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shlockwave

News Credits:
    I agree! that head sculpt is an awesome update!

• Like Like x 2
  4. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Hoping to track down Velocitron G2 Drag Strip then wait for the rest of the Stunticons to get their respective G2 rereleases

• Like Like x 4
  5. Shlockwave

News Credits:
    That would be cool to see!

• Like Like x 2
  6. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    If we're talking Menasor as a figure on his own, it's a little tough because almost everything great about him comes out of the Motormaster box, with diminishing returns on the rest of the Stunticons. The completed Menasor is 2 pounds 2 ounces without his middling gun or his vestigial gun tower, he feels very hefty in-hand. There's also a wholeness to him, no major hollowness, the back is filled in and complete.

The transformation is a lot of stuff but a lot of fun, Motormaster folds up to become a very interesting core block with a head but also the mounting points to the shoulders. The arms have such a fun transformation the way they split, it leaves a large break between the halves but there's not much that could be done about that given the limits of the animation. The legs use CW mounts so you can swap in those guys, and their frameworks only fill in once a leg bot is pushed into place, another fun trick.

Articulation is really good, the lack of up-down movement for the head is a bit of a missed opportunity, but otherwise he does what a WFC can. His knees are too high, and white inside. Joints are mainly tightly ratcheted, some moreso than others. The lower legs slide off a little too easily while handling, but are otherwise solidly in place.

menasor-1.jpg

menasor-2.jpg

This angle is specifically to highlight how stable he is in more extreme poses, he's really angled in there and totally stable, I was picking him up and moving him around one-handed.
    mensaor-3.jpg

Now, the drawbacks...

Speaking of the lower legs, an unforced error of a huge missed opportunity comes in the form of the knee combiner parts being keyed and sculpted in a way that they can't be mounted in reverse to show the cars facing forward. Not everything is about cartoon accuracy, Hasbro. Likewise, the arms are keyed so that you can't have Drag Strip and Dead End swap places.

Cartoon accuracy was so important to the lack of scramble-city action, yet the leg bots are folded up to give a massive faux heel spur not seen in the cartoon, and the upper legs are far thinner and stubbier than the lower.

The upper body has a lot of "stuff" around his head, there's the towers flanking it and the backpack behind it, it just feels a bit claustrophobic and unnecessary since they could have folded it down.

On my sample, the chest comes off a tad too easily, it's entirely decorative and an oddball part. Speaking of oddball parts, that gun is lame as a handheld weapon as it is meant to stick on top of a tower from a leftover part to make a turret, which is a little better but not very character-accurate.

The sword is short and stubby, but I don't really mind that, it's not that out of scale to the G1 original toy and since he's so large it doesn't really matter that it's not as long as his arm, it's still big and he's still gonna bash with it.

Overall, I think Menasor is a win, but 90% of that is Motormaster, the arm bots are the other 9%, and the leg bots add almost nothing because of how little they bring to the table.

• Like Like x 6
  7. TrophyBOT125

TrophyBOT125 Always send the boob in first

News Credits:
    GinyuTokusentai.png 20230123_160258.jpg 20230123_155835.jpg
    I love the crew just for this alone

• Like Like x 12
  8. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like the upper body is great on him, but the legs are a disaster. I like the way they did the arm bots. This is supposed to be based on the cartoon but Breakdown and Wild Rider don't fold in the cartoon model. I think the shin spring gimmick wasn't necessary and the thighs are way too short, making Menasor too short overall. IMO he's too small when he's the same height as Skyfire (Siege Jetfire). Around 16 inches would have made for a better Sunbow scale.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Shlockwave

News Credits:
    I think this is very valid.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

While I don't feel the same way about his height, as he is still as tall as CW Menasor (with PE additions even), I understand we all have different preferences on how we want our figures to present. And I would suggest to you the DK-38 kit for Menasor coming out. I want to get it as well, though less for the longer thighs and more for the articulated hands and hella sword. Plus the addons go toward lengthening Motormaster's trailer in alt-mode, a welcome bonus.

https://tfsource.com/3rd-party-add-...2ureuNpgtgG4lQqX8lB-NosEY5yvjK3UaApUXEALw_wcB

11. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. TrophyBOT125

TrophyBOT125 Always send the boob in first

News Credits:
    20230123_184946.jpg 20230123_184828.jpg 20230123_184752.jpg 20230123_184703.jpg 20230123_185226.jpg

This is a reference to the G1 Masquerade episode for those who don't know. Wildrider is demanding to know where is Windcharger? o_O  (As am I)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  13. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    How difficult is it to pry Breakdown and Wildrider off of Menasor's legs?

I've seen reports of them being extremely hard to remove and the pegs they plug into breaking off in the process.

If they are hard to remove, is there a trick to it to avoid breakage?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shlockwave

News Credits:
    I had read from previous member's comments that the application and removal of both leg bots was nerve-wracking. I can now confirm that it is. I wasn't worried so much about sheering off a peg, but causing serious damage to the plastic of Wildrider and Breakdown. It's that the pegs are so tight-fitting in the peg holes, so pushing them on and prying them off takes some force. When I was trying to remove Breakdown, I nearly crushed him in my hand trying to get a good enough grip to pull him off! I'm sure there are more careful ways to go about it, and I will certainly exercise those possibilities on future merges, but damn...

Sometimes I read about tolerances of certain toys on this board that make some people nervous, and I never experience it with said toys myself. But this was a different case altogether!

maybe some WD-40 would help!:p 

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WD-40 is designed for metal; never use it on plastic. I learned that the hard way on some Nerf guns a decade ago where it melted the o-rings and plastic together.

What you want is a silicone grease. I have a little tube of Danco Waterproof Grease and it's great. I put a thin coat on Menasor's pegs and they still hold tight without being scary to remove.

• Like Like x 7
  16. therealsharky

therealsharky Well-Known Member

Good to know. I haven't built up mine yet. If I feel like it's too tight going in I may sand down the peg a little or open up the hole a bit to make it easier. Also, maybe try to use some of those plastic tools that are designed for popping panels and such on the interior of cars.

Something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/XBRN-Removal...71376&sprefix=auto+panel+,aps,107&sr=8-5&th=1

• Like Like x 3
  17. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Apparently you need to be very careful when sanding the pegs and/or the holes because too much and Breakdown/Wildrider won't stay on and the spring in Menasor's shin will push them off.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    Perfect solution, thank you. I just did it with the same results as you. Snug but not scary. Luckily I had just bought some of the Danco silicone grease for a faucet repair last weekend so had some fresh on hand!

• Like Like x 3
  19. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Very nice review! That said, I have never understood why people like cartoon Menasor's aesthetic, the cars as padding just does absolutely nothing for me as a combiner and never has lol I still enjoy reading your thoughts on the figures though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shlockwave

News Credits:
    I kind of knew that, My comment was supposed to be a cynical remark. So I hope nobody took that seriously and used it!

That being said, I was unaware of Danco, so hey! I learned something new! Thanks!