Legacy Leader Class Blitzwing

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Lazerwave, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you have MPM Blackout, his blast effects fit Blitzwing's tank barrel.

PXL_20220901_031205247.jpg

EDIT: The only solution for the jet is to lean into the stupidity.

PXL_20220901_054748765_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    Here it is: my last part of my review for Legacy Leader Class Blitzwing. Its time to focus on the much maligned "jet" mode.

20220902_105135.jpg

Aaannd...YIKES.
    The best way to describe this mode is to imagine a Big Mac and stick 2 wings on it. Yes, folks, this mode looks like a flying double stacked hamburger.
    More acurately, it looks like a jet landed on a tank and squashed it...and it is now permanantly attached. This is where I look at TR Blitzwing and give it the win. Is it worse than T30? Im still on the fence...I mean...
    20220902_105123.jpg
    Let's start with the good: from the top view, it looks like what you want: a purple Decepticon jet. In fact, ot lools really nice from this perspective. However, the illusion goes south as soon as you look at it from all other angles...

20220902_105018.jpg
    The front view wouldn't be terrible if those tank treads werent so...out there. Blitzwing was never a super trim jet, but this is ridiculous. Imagine trying to pose this on a figure stand?
    20220902_105201.jpg
    The rear is worse, because you get more beige on the bottom, clearly separating it from the purple plane features. I usually try to find the good in all my purchases, but this is a hard sell. 20220902_105223.jpg
    The undercarriage gets even weirder: not only do you see most of the tank elements, but you also get a faux cockpit on full view! What is this???
    20220902_105314.jpg
    Now, if you extend the tank cannon and face it forward, it somehow improves the overall aesthetic....not by much, but at least it makes sense to have a weapon below to add some dangerous element to this flying whopper. 20220902_105317.jpg
    AND it helps cover that upsidedown cockpit!

Last thing: yes, you can attach his weapons (but why I would put a sword on a jet is beyond me). However, the big misslepod hands can be attached to give some Beta to your Alpha Fighter.
    20220902_105004.jpg
    It still looks dumb, but furthers it from the idea that this is supposed to be a realistic jet. Its goofy, but kinda interesting in a strange way. 20220902_105029.jpg
    I dont know...I really love the robot mode with Blitzwing. Hell, his tank mode isn't THAT bad. But the third jet mode makes me think that the design team had to make a decision between spending the last of the budget on this or morning coffee, and java won.

If I were to rate Blitz in a scale from 1- 10, he gets a solid 7.5. He's going to look great standing with his fellow Decepticon warriors. I'll be more likely to switch him to tank mode before jet mode. The bot mode saves this toy so much, as he's the best rendition of the character.

Until the next review!

• Like Like x 5
  3. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    I like to think Hasbro looked at their limited budget and went—

hell, no way around it. You know what.? Blitzwing is a muthaf**** war machine, let go big or go home. let’s own that massive jet mode”

…and decided double down and go even bigger by adding those cheap ass boxes to the back of the jet mode. :p 

45CB9449-16D5-4CB2-A0CA-04ACCFB4DC23.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still want to know what the inspiration was for the misslepods over say, more guns or another sword or....anything

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I got my Blitzwing from Amazon Wednesday, and I like the figure. The robot mode is just about perfect, the tank is also pretty good (jet cockpit aside), and the jet mode... I'm usually someone who's forgiving of jets with undercarriage, but the chunk of tank just hanging there looks bad.

Personally, I like how the robot wings are actually the tank treads, while the real wings fold up and form his calves.

• Like Like x 2
  6. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally got around to opening Blitzwing and WOW, I am very impressed. If you want a fantastic G1 version of him on your shelf, this is it. Very solidly built and tight. Definitely more going on than a Voyager class. I’m comparing it to my T30 Voyager Blitzwing and this one has more engineering and parts, IMO. Lots of cool transformation steps to highlight like: the masterpiece level arm panel covering, the option to wear his tank barrel long or short, no hollow parts on the arms and legs, complex and interesting transform scheme. Top notch robot mode, pretty good tank mode, and jet mode should only be seen from the top . The criticisms of the jet mode bottom by everyone are valid, so if it’s a deal breaker for you…so be it. If you can look pass that, the other two modes are a joy. This figure captures the feeling I get when I think of G1 Blitzwing.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Got mine a few days ago. The connections are much more secure compared to the TR figure and especially compared to the T30 figure. This 1 connects solidly in all 3 modes. It doesn’t feel sloppy nor fiddly at all.

I wish the forearm covers tabbed into place. I also wish the thigh swivels weren’t as limited when the legs are raised high(they bump into to skirt plates). Wish the shoulder flaps could move beyond 90 degrees as they limit the shoulder rotation to just short of 90 degrees.

Tank mode suffers the least and to me, has the best integration of the extra forearm hand cannon parts as rocket launchers. A small change enabling the faux cockpit to fold away or get covered up completely would’ve helped. I know having the exposed cockpit matches the animation but it also seems like it conveniently remained as to stay within budget and not engineer a few extra parts to hide it.

Jet mode looks decent from the top. From the sides and the front at an angle is where the illusion of it being fast is destroyed. It does however, definitely look like a transformable jet that has some tank parts. I think the designers ended up just embracing this aspect. The extra forearm hand cannon parts attach as extra engines…kind of like the designers showing this thing would need extra engines to even get off of the ground as it’s very brickish from the front. The jet mode here is much more secure than that of the T30 and thank goodness there’s no PVC except for the sword(and even then I wish it were made from hard plastic).

The robot mode is where this figure shines and why the other 2 modes seem compromised by comparison. Seems like robot mode took the most emphasis as it has the least compromises(aside from the shoulder blocks blocking rotation over 90 degrees, similar to the G1 figure). Only connection issue here is that the inner chest immediately beneath the neck seems to not fold as flush. I’ve mentioned how the T30 didn’t connect as securely and that’s solidified by comparing this robot mode. The T30 robot mode feels sloppy by comparison. The robot mode here also connects much more securely compared to the T30 as the lower legs don’t easily become undone when bending the knees. Only weird omission is lack of tabs to secure the inner forearm covers. The extra forearm handcannons don’t connect very securely to the fists since the 5mm pegs are short. I instead plugged those forearms sideways to the sides of the shoulder pads then plugged the hands into the side of the extra forearms to make them look like forward facing rocket launchers.

While the robot mode is smaller than some current voyagers, it does feel heavier and is more solid all around compared to some of them. For example, it feels heavier and has more secure connections than the taller Legacy Jhiaxus.

Overall I’m happy with Legacy Blitzwing. Just a few changes could’ve made it much better, such as hiding the faux cockpit in tank mode, forearm cover tabs and having the tank track surfaces align with the wings in jet mode rather than facing the opposite direction. Does it benefit from the extra forearm hand cannons? To me, they mainly benefit the tank mode. Definitely could’ve done without them if it meant this figure could’ve been sold as a voyager. Could it have been sold as a voyager even without them? Not sure. There’s a lot more moving parts involved with the transformation for this compared to other Legacy voyagers. I’d give it a 7/10 knowing some small changes could’ve easily pushed it to a 9/10.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

I'm liking this more and more as I keep transforming it. Once I got how to position the arms down pat it's a really nice transformation.

Its cool that the giant hand missile pods clip onto the turret so they can rotate along with it. At first I didn't get their inclusion but now I think they work in all 3 modes and it's interesting, hands / missile pods / thrusters. Sword storage on the rear of the tank is cool too.

20220904_111251.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    DDDBE848-EA94-40C7-B928-96672C7E508A.jpg

• Like Like x 26
  10. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That pic is pretty much the only reason I’m still debating this figure. That just looks great together.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like your style. You’ve inspired me to give my Blitzwing his grey back wings just like his G1 animation. Only, I’m doing a reversible mod by cutting out the wing shape in grey card stock to fit. I really like the results. There’s more visual separation from his shoulders and his wings. It’s more seeker like.

485DD90A-9C69-475A-BAAB-799803EF564E.jpeg DA092306-73C9-4739-A53F-85C2E40A862F.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  12. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just gotta say that this is the Blitzwing I've always wanted. Jet mode is strange taken out of context, but it is what it was in G1 and I fucking LOVE it. Also love the Tank Dick. Also love the Robot. I just fuckin' love this guy okay?

PXL_20220830_150901112.jpg PXL_20220830_145318604.jpg PXL_20220830_144614433.jpg PXL_20220830_064204018.jpg PXL_20220904_002051100.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  13. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tank dicks, FTW!

• Like Like x 1
  14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh yeahhh. How could I not fall in love with a tank that has an..."additional main armament" that big huh? :D 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    I've been messing with Blitzwing quite a lot, and the more I mess with him, the more I like him. I do think he looks good with Astrotrain, but I'm kind of wanting them to SS86 the Astrotrain mold now so it feels more complete with Blitzwing.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Once I got Blitzwing, I was surprised by how much he and Astrotrain don't match. I think it has to do with high amount of greebling that's present on AT that BW doesn't really have. The battle damage on AT really threw it off too. Once I removed that, I liked them together a lot better.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Wespy

Wespy Well-Known Member

Figured out a way to store everything on him GI Joe Classified style:

ADEF358C-8DD9-443B-A79D-2A0CC7ED2F32.jpeg EA137662-F5A7-468F-BDF0-F699791C68FD.jpeg

I love this guy. I can forgive the jet mode cuz it’s not as bad to look at as pictures.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Huh, it seems I didn't post after I got mine from Amazon. I got mine quite some time ago and honestly, I really, really like this guy.

My biggest complaint is the hulk hands. They are quite useless and any extra that could be spent on the main figure I'm always for.

Robot mode is great, tank mode is very strong, jet mode in hand (IMHO) looks better than pictures make it out to be. Yes, it can be awful from certain angles and it's far and away the weakest mode, but there are plenty of bad jets out there that don't have an extra mode either; it's always strange the way people can shred planes for having underside kibble when cars that have the entire robot clearly hiding under the alt mode shell get a pass. Now, that's not to say I love the jet mode or think it's great, far from it, just that some of the complaints feel a bit much.

Also, I always love it when tank turrets can rotate and the barrel elevation can change.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Sandstormer

Sandstormer Setting sail for Sureshot's search party

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but just wanted to mention that although I was on the fence about picking this figure up (he's currently on sale here in the UK, at Smyth's), this photo sealed the deal. Absolute genius. Ordered.

• Like Like x 2
  20. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Originally I passed on the Titans Returns triple changers, now I regret that.

The jet mode is even worse than the original. And that fake cockpit in tank mode. By Primus. Way to make Universe Blitzwing look good.

The robot mode at least is decent, though I wish he had real feet instead of nostalgia pads. He looks good with astrotriain at least.

Still better than the movie version, though. So there's that.