Legacy Evolution Humble Origins Senator Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Jul 3, 2023.

1. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you did order Shockwave, and get the ratbat set as well?

• Like Like x 1
  2. AlvinC

AlvinC Making bad financial decisions

News Credits:
    Yup. Ordered both and they were swapped

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man...there's gunna be ALOT of screwed up orders...

• Like Like x 1
  4. ToasterPrime

ToasterPrime Toast maker

Yup.
    OrionMixup.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will repurpose him as someone else.
    I sorta wonder if they'll reuse the remolded bits for someone else though

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well..I DID let Amazon..know..they DID tell me they seen there was a problem and were going to take down the listings until the prices were fixed..but they are still up.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Decepticon Shockwave

Decepticon Shockwave Heroic Scientist

Why they didnt used the Jhiaxus mold instead of this one is beyond me...

• Like Like x 1
  8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Of course Amazon fixed the listings AFTER they shipped my replacement.

Let's see which one I get this time! XD

• Like Like x 2
  9. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    For those worried about the lack of weapons, I've been playing around a bit. You can either have *snikt snikt* Wolverine claws or a mock boomerang. I think it looks pretty good, and serves as a nice visual foreshadow of his Empurata 20230711_192035.jpg 20230711_192049.jpg 20230711_192128.jpg 20230711_192221.jpg 20230711_192351.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  10. ts1279

ts1279 Member

With accessories from Galactic Man.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  11. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like Amazon got it straightened out..im gunna take that as a personal win, and my 2 hours on the phone with customer service should nominate me for humanitarian of the year. A Nobel at least.

Shockwave is AWESOME. I put the winglets on his back in the thruster holes. Just need to find my Shockwave pistol from the centurion set and he's set. There is just SO much molded greeble on this guy..I love it. Probably going to panel line him, and then give him a glosscoat. The alt mode could have done with larger winglets, but hey..any 5mm construct bot or wing can be used this way so that's a plus.

Even though I've handled this mold way more than I want to remember, this feels fresh. The joints are perfect..the colors and paint..perfect..

It was worth the effort.

1000003711.jpg 1000003712.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Uberbot

News Credits:
    Glad I waited to order this set until after the listing mixup. Although I'm pretty sure my Humble Origins set is one that someone else returned because of Amazon's error (the box had one of those Kohl's return stickers).

Anyway, Senator Shockwave is awesome. They picked a good mold for this, the remolded parts are perfect, and the deco is cool (I wouldn't have minded one of the other decos from the Shadowplay issues, but I think this one is the best toy option). If I had to nitpick, I would say the head is just a smidge too small.

Now does anyone know where I can get Orion Pax and Shockwave's bench? :D 

• Like Like x 1
  13. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Amazon made good on the screw-up with Humble Origins and Rise of Tyranny by letting me keep Humble Origins for free and refunding me the difference on Rise of Tyranny. Senator Shockwave definitely got less goods than his box-mate, Orion Pax, but made up for it by having more new tooling, being an altered version of the WFC Siege tetrajet, only with huge thrusters instead of "wings" and a new chestplate on the back.

20230722_115428.jpg
    20230722_115443.jpg 20230722_115456.jpg
    Shockwave's alt mode feels solid, nothing pops off or gives any trouble. The new parts include the "windshield" which is is an all new sculpt completely covered in light blue paint; the chestplate which doesn't look as out of place behind the vehicle as the regular Siege Seeker's does; and the mighty massive jet engines where once it was sleek tetrajet wings. Also included here are the new winglet accessories based on the IDW comic art which are hinged on 5mm posts, unfortunately these just peg into the forearm holes rather than go anywhere that might look remotely useful for vehicle mode, even adding 5mm holes to the new jet engines would have been an improvement. Neither the engines nor the winglets complement the vehicle mode whatsoever, the sleek nose now gives way to an even more brickish main body with nothing to take the focus off of it, rather the engines add that brick look, it's just a mess. If the engines had covered the forearms, this would have looked great, but instead it feels like a shrug.

Transformation remains the same as the Siege Seeker, I really like that toy and this is no different, though it's easy to forget which parts come off first because there's plenty of stuff locked together. The spring-loaded panels in the legs were stiff at first, catching on the interior, but after a few pushes they now spring out fine on their own.

20230722_121941.jpg
    20230722_122023.jpg 20230722_122036.jpg

Senator Shockwave is meant to invoke the IDW character which went through a few deco looks, and Hasbro settled on... none of them, exactly. The color is closer to Chaos Theory but missing a lot of the red in that look, so this figure is a sea of blue and very light gray with a few red hits to the chest, very Ultra Magnus -- and this was a choice, because hips are painted blue over light gray plastic where red paint was already in the budget for both figures in this set, it could have transitioned around the torso sides. The new head looks pretty good and true to the source material with blue eyes over a gray face and silver in the crest. The new chest is decent, but because this is a leggy seeker mold it isn't quite the right proportions for the heroic Cybertronian senator. The new crotch kinda works but is a little more decepticonish than the source art. Articulation is quite good, the waist is still limited by the backpack and the head can barely look up or down, but otherwise this has a ton of poseability. The jet engines as backpack aren't great, they do take up a lot of space, but I'm not stymied by them when posing, they're just there, moving them up doesn't look good.

Shockwave doesn't have any weapons, his accessories are a pair of winglets that attach to his elbows, but they can be handheld for slashing weapons.

Overall, Senator Shockwave is alright but not amazing, and it comes down to a mixture of deco, proportions, and those new jet engine things. In robot mode, he's a bit too Seekerish to work as a heroic senator, and in vehicle mode he's a confusion... yet I don't hate this figure, it's got some charm not just from the source mold that I am already a fan of, but also the new head and chest that work alright for this version of the character. A mixed bag, but not a fail in my eyes.

• Like Like x 5
  14. TFfangeek

TFfangeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know if this question has already been asked, but I was wondering, can Senator Shockwave be repurposed into another character?

It's not that I have anything against IDW's fallen-from-grace story for Shockwave, but I am used to the purple one-eyed mad scientist so much, that I cannot help but look at the Legacy figure and think, that is not Shockwave it has to be another Transformers character.

• Like Like x 1
  15. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me. Very annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you can use him a seeker,

• Like Like x 2
  17. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:

See...
    Just had this discussion with my son about this figure. While I read the Miner Megatron Story, I dont really know what happened in the comics..or if anything did explain why shockwave looks the way he does here, and now.
    But MAN! The discussion my son and I had about it.. I said " I bet that he was a GOOD politician, wanted and tried to do what he could "for the greater good", and WHAT THE HELL could have happened to such a morally strong character...now THAT is a story to be told..to have this (In the comics, AND this toy specifically) a handsome..Dynamic..Bot' of such influence have a Downfall THAT deep, is Effin Anakin Skywalker shit right there. He was either bribed, blackmailed, or was beaten down to just his logic and intelligence remain..with a hatred for the ones that let him down...
    Then my son bust out with..What if After the comic Megatron just Kidknapped him, realized his value, and somehow harnessed his conscience and put in in a new body, designed to only allow logic and tactics to be spoken or acted on, then you had the brilliance of senator shcokwave, without all the moral "Problems"..

Anyways..I keep messin with thyem one. These four, were all really good. Even with the mess up in the beginning, Amazon screwed up, and I paid the correct price for this one, and they sent me the wrong one, so hey, 4 for 2 is pretty effin rare these days, and shockwave may be my favorite of them all.

I found Centrutions Shockwave gun. Seriously though about painting it to match him, But then I thought, Wait, Maybe I should paint the gun G1 shockwave metallic, and from Shockwaves Perspective in a new body, Why the hell not just transform into your old favorite pistol you used to have? Makes perfect logic to me..lol

The winglets dont look amazing in alt mode, but I really do like putting them in the thrusters for fins on his back..This retool turned out awesome. No way anyone can defend that he dont have a gun or accessory. SHould have had a Cape? or a scepter or someshit. I gotta go re read that

• Like Like x 5
  18. TFfangeek

TFfangeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Great story to share, thank you.

I posted this comment on another thread. I have renamed Senator Shockwave with a new pre-war identity: "Blastwave!"

I even came up with some tech specs and a small bio.

Name: Blastwave
    Profession: senator
    Faction: no faction
    Intellignce: 10/10
    Fireblast: 6/10
    Speed: 9/10
    Combat skill: 4/10
    Strength: 6/10

Bio: Blastwave was one of Cybertron's top senators aided by the assistance of data clerk Orion Pax. Tragically Ultrablast died during the attack that started the Transformers war, evidence of this tragedy included one of his eyeballs and nose found during the battlefield aftermath. Blastwave's demise has made Orion Pax, now Optimus Prime, vow that no Transformer will suffer the same fate of having their life cut short by violence. However unknown to Optimus Prime, Blastwave survived and has his memories erased by the founder of the Decepticons, Megatron who used the former senator's knowledge of solving problems to transform the now one-eyed bot into the Decepticon mad scientist, Shockwave!

I think this works out, after all, its only logical.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He can be Steve from Accounting if you want. If you can't find a character to use to shoehorn him into your head canon, just make one up!

• Like Like x 3
  20. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my set today...

Senator Shockwave looks amazing but annoyed by the no weapons thing but I'll find him some. The biggest issue is that the arms appear to suffer from mold fatigue as they aren't shaped perfectly and will not close as they should... I may need to heat them up to get them to reshape them a bit.

But aside that, it's a great looking figure. As far as what he is (Shockwave).. nah, I'm no comic follower, I really like the figure, so I'm thinking of maybe going with Shockflight or something like that.

Orion Pax is basically forced on us as he's part of a set for the second time... I like the Hound mold in general but with the same character coming with Alpha Trion just last year (barely), it's really a case of Hasbro being dicks about it at this point. As far as the mold, it's fine, as far as "did I want this figure"... not really.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 5