Legacy Evolution Humble Origins Data Clerk Orion Pax

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Jul 3, 2023.

1. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    4th time is the charm, I suppose.

As Data Clerk Orion Pax is a redeco and retool of the Siege Hound mold, this is not a full review. However, I don't have any other figures based off that mold for direct comparison.

Data Clerk Orion Pax is supposed to reference the IDW pre-war design. He comes as a 2 pack along with Senator Shockwave in the Humble Origins set.

As a fan of figures redone in the Optimus Prime deco, liked how this one turned out in the classic red and blue color scheme. Like most of the figures of the pre-war sets, seems like the paint budget is allocated primarily for the chest area. The bot mode looks better than alt mode.

Since we don't have the Siege Hound figure, can't make direct comparisons for joint quality and mold degradation. Overall, though, the joints work just fine...except for the leg panels during transformation. The panel on his right leg in particular kept popping off constantly. It was irritating as heck to deal with.

He is short...painfully short when compared to the other pre-war figures.

As for newly molded parts, he has a new head, new chest / cab, new lower legs, new feet, and new windshield.

As for accessories, he comes with one of Hound's guns as well as the ammo clip. He comes with a new axe and handle. The axe looks like the Thrilling 30 axe but is a brand new accessory.

Unfortunately, Hasbro decided to make the axe connector parts have a 6mm connection. The handle has other 5mm pegs. The axe head will not be able to combine with any standard 5mm peg, which limits the "Evo Fusion" theme.

Accessories:
    The Siege Hound blaster and ammo clip are reused. The axe head and handle are brand new weapons...with a 6mm connection for the axe head.
    op3.jpg

Bot Mode:
    Front view. He looks good in bot mode in the red and blue Optimus color scheme. However, he is rather short in comparison to other bots.
    op4.jpg

Rear view.
    op5.jpg

Comparison with A Hero Is Born Orion Pax on the right.
    op6.jpg

Alt Mode:
    Not the biggest fan of alt mode and the open space on top. The accessories, including the axe, are able to store on top (not shown). The leg panels as noted above kept coming apart on one of the legs during transformation.
    op1.jpg

Another view.
    op2.jpg

Overall:
    Data Clerk Orion Pax is the better of the 2 figures from the Humble Origins set. His bot mode deco looks pretty good. Alt mode is not as good and still not a fan of the open top. He comes with a new axe, but this bizarrely uses a 6mm connection, limiting its use for "Evo Fusion". The loose leg panels that pop off during transformation are quite irritating. Orion Pax is also going to look painfully short compared to the other 3 pre-war figures. Despite some issues, this figure is still recommended.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Is there a way to hold the axe with both hands?

• Like Like x 1
  3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    If anyone bought the two pack and only wants the shockwave, please let me know. I find this charming, but don’t really want to buy the whole set.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The overall choice to use the Siege Hound mold still feels off to me... but I am starting to like. But man, that face... he looks sooo dope!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! I Wasn’t too sure on this figure when it was revealed, but it looks pretty good! The Siege hound mold hasn’t gotten much use, and this looks well done.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish they could have found a way to make him a fully enclosed vehicle, but that was probably beyond the remolding budget (or possibly just... wouldn't have worked with the design at all), but the paint scheme and new head look and other bits make him look great!

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlvinC

AlvinC Making bad financial decisions

News Credits:
    The back panel doesn’t tab into the back for me. Luckily the pin is tight enough so it’s not flopping around, but now that’s two of the latest Orion Pax figures where I have bad QC with their backpack kibble not being able to peg into place

• Like Like x 1
  8. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Our copy of Kup Orion Pax has tabs that are barely snug with each other. Our Hound Orion Pax is able to have the lower backpack clip in.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AlvinC

News Credits:
    After some light filing I was able to get it to tab in place properly so at least it was an easy quick fix. Overall the figure is pretty nice and tight. Little to no degradation

Yes, but due to no forward butterfly shoulder joints and the short design of the axe it looks awkward IMG_4621.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  10. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Received this set today. Pax is decent, but I really like the Thrilling 30 Deluxe more.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I should see mine soon. Damn I forgot about that one. That was a DAMN good figure. The alt mode was wild.

This one looks good. Yeah, he is a bit small..nuthin a lil matrix cant help I guess..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Once slapped a goose

News Credits:
    Luke Warm Take (?) Incoming.

Out of both 2 packs, Pax is the weakest link of the bunch. Too small, not a great mold for the figure, off proportions. His head just doesn't fit and looks like it was lifted from a playskool figure. I'm not sure what mold would have worked better but maybe another IDW character like Nominus in another seeker figure would be better? Or Xaaron? Hell take Perceptor and make Quark.

The other 3 are great. This ain't doing it for me. We got two other Orion Pax figures in the past decade or so. They both did it better.

Edit. Nominus would have been WAY cooler.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine was actually more solid compared to hound so no leg panels coming off easily. Kinda funny how Orion Pax has been more of a staple over the years (t30, the TR remold, the potp one, the ss kup remold). I have almost all of them cept g1 and potp.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmu

15. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Uberbot

News Credits:
    Glad I waited to order this set until after the listing mixup. Although I'm pretty sure my Humble Origins set is one that someone else returned because of Amazon's error (the box had one of those Kohl's return stickers).

This is my first experience with the mold, and I like it. The new chest and head are good. Deco is decent, although his legs could use some paint. Only real issue is, like others mentioned, the robot mode backpack won't tab in for me. Guess I will have to shave off some plastic.

On the topic of Orion Pax figures overall: I have T30 and PotP versions, which are both solid (although not a big fan of T30 bot mode, but alt mode is very good). This new one is another fine Orion Pax, but honestly none of them are amazing. However, this one fits nicely with his pack-mate, Senator Shockwave. If only we got their bench as an accessory!

• Like Like x 1
  16. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Amazon made good on the screw-up with Humble Origins and Rise of Tyranny by letting me keep Humble Origins for free and refunding me the difference on Rise of Tyranny. Orion Pax was the first figure I took out of the box, and he was a sloppy mess out of the box. Once I found a friction hinge that wasn't seated, several parts were able to seat correctly and I could get all the parts properly into place so that it came together much nicer. Not a great first impression but a little patience helped a lot.

20230722_110511.jpg

If you've experienced Siege Hound, functionally this is identical for all the good and not-good; in terms of looks I don't know that I like the proportions of the new front end and windshield against the ride high and pushed-forward front wheels, it looks a little silly. I kind of prefer the toes pointed up to act as shielding for the passenger compartment, but there's not really much to saving the cybertronian rollbars look. Alt mode can store the rifle, ammo drum, and axe handle separately, but the axe head has to be mounted to another accessory to join the party.

20230722_110213.jpg

Transformation is identical, and feels the same except for the lower legs, where the friction hinges feel more sloppy and precarious, I've had them separate several times. The shoulders require a few passes before they'll seat nicely into the torso clips, once again the softer blue nylon parts seem to be the issue, not the tooling itself.

20230722_111710.jpg

Robot mode is an unusual mishmash of inspirations, but even though it's short for a future Optimus, it kind of works as its own thing rather than the IDW Chaos Theory character. Articulation remains the same high standard as Hound's, the head is on a restricted ball joint so not much up-down, otherwise he's got great range and is quite stable. The deco looks sharp, though I would have liked some paint on the lower legs.

20230722_112740.jpg

Weapons include the rifle and drum from Hound, and an all-new two-part axe based on the T30 figure's. Like Megatron's weapons in the Rise of Tyranny set, for some reason the axe uses a larger peg system to come together; but where Megatron's accessories all included 5mm trailing pegs for compatibility, Orion Pax's axe head has a 3mm hole inside to mount it to the tip of most WFC/Legacy weapons, including the rifle included here, making a wicked axe-gun, the leftover axe handle becoming a truncheon -- Pax is gonna clerk the hell out of that data!

20230722_112848.jpg

All in all, Orion Pax is a decent figure if you don't mind a diminutive pre-Optimus that is based on ideas from multiple sources.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 009*

009* That Guy... Somewhere

News Credits:
    I knew I recognized that axe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SciFries47

SciFries47 New Member

Twitter:

How exactly did you manage to file the figure to get that backpack to tab? I've got the same issue on my copy and I don't know what to do to fix it without messing up the figure

• Like Like x 1
  19. AlvinC

News Credits:
    Just file the four sides of the middle back tab. Did like 3-5 strokes, test fitted and repeated until it could properly tab in. I removed the back piece and it doesn’t actually tab in 100%. The pin hinge on the backpack is solid enough to secure it in place in combination of getting the tab and slot more comfy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Markatron

Markatron MarKreations Studios

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is there a figure or kit out there, official or 3rd party, that has a data file or screen he can hold to look like he's doing actual date work?

• Like Like x 1