Legacy Core Class G2 Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Jhiaxus666, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Jhiaxus666

Jhiaxus666 "gee, axe us"

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Managed to snag this guy off Amazon. He's obviously the same as the Kingdom Core Class Megatron. So there's not much to say. Colors look good though. I added some purple to his hands as the green wasn't accurate.

20220627_164747.jpg 20220627_164238.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Someone else already posted saying their limbs were all loose. Any issues like that?

3. Jhiaxus666

Jhiaxus666 "gee, axe us"

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Arms and upper legs are a little loose. Easily fixed with future. But still shouldn't have to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    …but, gosh, he looks grand! Would you say the G2 colors make the mold better?

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeadConverts2Pilot

HeadConverts2Pilot Well-Known Member

Megatron Attack!

Core G2 Megatron is the Kingdom version wearing an audacious green camo onesie and I’m 100% here for it. That said, he definitely could’ve used more silver or grey to help break up the sea of green. (I opted to add some paint to his legs and face to make him really look the part.)

DSC_6102.JPG

Articulation is pretty decent for a core class figure. That waist joint does a lot to make him look more dynamic in poses. Sadly, those shoulder pauldrons will happily get in the way when moving his fusion cannon arm. His joints were also a little loose out of the box but that’s easy enough to fix.

DSC_6097.JPG

Transformation is surprisingly engaging for such a small bot. I kinda wish his arms locked into place better but the end result is just an adorable death machine. Shout out to the person who suggested attaching one of Bug Bite’s blasters to the fusion cannon for a bigger boom stick.

DSC_6109.JPG

Overall, Core G2 Megatron makes for a solid pocket/desk toy. I can’t wait to pair him with Core Nemesis Prime for some Destructicon-style shenanigans.

• Like Like x 4
  6. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Picked this up at Ross for $4 today, saw a few more across several stores. I've liked the WFC/Legacy core class but I've been selective on G1 purchases: Rattrap, Soundwave, Iguanus, Optimus, Starscream & Thundercracker, even Hot Rod is alright at $4. Wheelie, Bomb-Burst and Spike are probably the only core class I don't think live up to expectations, but this Megatron is underwhelming as a toy design, and this paint job is the second stumble.

Vehicle mode is terrible, they took the WFC idea and made it uglier, gappier, the robot feet are just abandoned here, the back end doesn't feel like it's quite right, it's a weird mess. The only thing they really got right was the tank turret rotation and elevation.

Transformation is hit and miss, I like some of it such as the legs and the right forearm, while I dislike how the backpack clumsily rams its way over the shoulders.

Robot mode has some design charms, but there's some real problems as well. The giant, super wide backpack doesn't look bad from the front as it fully hides behind the arms and just looks like a regular backpack from the side, it can store the handheld gun over his right shoulder like the G1 look, and it's only attached via C-clips so it can be tossed away (how this wasn't converted to a holdable shield I'll never understand); but it's fully hollow and stupidly wide from the back. The back of his head is waffled, but the arms and legs are mostly filled in to make up for those issues. There's huge chunks of kibble over each shoulder which are just there to be there, they didn't have to be this big, the turret could have been a different shape.

Megs comes apart at the shoulders pretty easily, and his ball jointed hips are very light friction. Otherwise, he has decent articulation but can't raise his arms above 90 degrees due to annoying shoulder kibble that is permanent. He can hold his gun in either hand, though his fusion cannon is clipped permanently to his right forearm and can only swivel

His deco is a real mess emulating the G2 look, this mold so badly needed that black and silver, instead it gets green and purple and the nylon version of green which isn't a good match. The few silver touches are nice, but thighs, forearms, and feet could have used that silver as well because he just looks like the Hulk with so much plain green, and there isn't even that much purple to break it up. The head being silver is nice and the gray face is alright by me, the purple of the original never made much sense outside of those early '90s weirdnesses. The deco tries so badly to emulate the G2 that it eschews the G2 Decepticon logo from the chest, it ends up on the side of the backpack, but this is a totally different layout for Megs so he has a chest that needs the detail. The little orange hits here and there are fun, but this feels like such a massive step down from the G1-inspired core class deco this mold was designed for.

All in all, if a few more things had been done right, I could have really enjoyed this, but they badly whiffed on so many things, from design to QC to deco. I don't hate it, it's not dead awful, $4 is a decent value, but it's nothing to go out of your way for.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I love that this release is so bad we literally can't get a picture of an unmodified version of it in the topic.

The original mold was already pretty bad, but 3/4 assing the G2 paintjob didn't seem to do it any favors (I'm giving it credit and it's definitely more than half-assed).

I'd get it for $4 but it would never go into alt-mode. And I'd have to put effort into the robot mode. And the weapons would suck.

... actually, I think I just talked myself out of picking this up at $4. Which is genuinely insane.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    A friend of mine bought it as a present to his son. While visiting him I was able to fiddle with it - dammit, now I really want this! Some stores in Europe have this on sale.

Wow! That silver thighs sure do change things up a lot! Good job!

• Like Like x 3