Leave Michael Bay Alone!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Galvatron II, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

The Big Picture: Leave Michael Bay Alone!

I love me some Moviebob, but he really glosses over the fact that a lot of critics have genuine issues with the Michael Bay style and aesthetic. I do, however, agree with his ultimate point.

Thoughts?

2. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I enjoyed watching that. I can't really completely agree that the audience is a "problem" per say, but overall that was a very well thought out and agreeable stance.

3. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

Huh...That's a pretty cool video. Points for Bob for speaking out on this, despite the backlash he might get.

And here I was afraid this was going to be a joke thread.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I can't get the link to work from here, but didn't Moviebob utterly loathe the first trilogy?

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

That guy needs to lay off the cocaine. Doesn't he know that it's a hell of a drug!

6. Galvatron II

7. Sighphi

Sighphi Active Member

A guys whose career is about hating on stuff goes on to hate on other people hating on stuff.

8. Galvatron II

... What?

9. Sighphi

Sighphi Active Member

Exactly.

10. smkspy

The guy gives credit to building his "career" around hating Bay and the Tf films, and now that he finally likes one of the TF films, he's completely changed his tune and is going out of his way to defend him. It's hypocritical to say the least, but his video is more annoying than anything. Those drawn faces are very distracting and he reads his script like he's the micro-machines guy.

I get people like and enjoying a Michael bay film, I don't get people that follow these "look how cute I am" reviewers on their glorified blogs. This guy thinks he's smart, but he's just jumping from one bandwagon to the another. In political speak, he's a flip-flopper.

11. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

I'm with Galvy on this one. What?

I get that you might not agree with MovieBob's opinion on movies, or even on Bay, but you seem to mistake a critic's job. Critics are not paid to hate things. They're paid to share their opinions on whatever it is they are criticizing, whether it be movies, games, figures, or what have you.

The fast way of talking is a fairly common 'genre' of reviews. Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation has that too, and I've seen a few Transformer figure quick reviews done like that. Some people like the style of it, some don't.

As for the faces, I see no real issue with them. They're just there for added style.

12. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    inception

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He started well. The Bay bashing is certainly tiresome and most articles about the movie come off as middle school name calling. However, when people are being entertained, there is no problem. There are so many kinds of movies out there that there is plenty of room for action hits. And that's ok, because enjoying an action movie doesn't stop other kinds of movies from coming out.

14. smkspy

Lawd have mercy, there are genres for reviews. We're all doomed.

Though I can get a fast speaking review for a transformer toy if they going through the transformation. Displaying the toy is more important than your own thoughts. For films and such though, it doesn't make sense. You want your words have an impact. You want people to think about what you're saying and how it relates to a product they've either have or have yet to consume. Trying to quickly speed through all your points only displays an inherent weakness in your argument.

(obligatory disclaimer: you(r)=/= you).

15. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I don't see how he's "hopping from one bandwagon to another" if the bandwagon has been to hate the TF movies, and the current bandwagon is to hate the TF movie.

Or how it's hypocritical for a reviewer to dislike the last 3 movies but enjoy the 4th one. It's not a political debate where your goal is to prove that you never waver in your political ideologies, it's a movie review where you're supposed to give your opinions on a movie.

Was never a huge fan of the fast-talk reviews myself, but some people enjoy them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  16. Galvatron II

Well... Yeah. He straight up said that he was wrong in the past, and was driven to correct his mistake by a causal event. Your problem is what, exactly...?

First off, this isn't a "glorified blog". It's a video article. Just like his video reviews... And written articles. There's nothing bloggy about it.

Secondly, all great intellectuals flip flop. It's what smart, open minded people do when presented with new information. A condemnation of flip flopping is a celebration of self-imposed ignorance. There's nothing respectable about sticking to your guns no matter what.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't think a lot of people believe this is true, even though it is.

Exactly. The fourth movie was, to him, an improvement. Acknowledging that his opinion of a film is based on his perception of it's quality doesn't make him a hypocrite, it means he's the exact opposite. he complained that the previous three movies weren't good, but now he's found one he thinks is, so he's not going to complain as much.

Notice how he never retracts his opinions of the previous films, only how he presented them. He's basically saying what any sane person would say: there's nothing wrong with liking a bad movie and it's certainly not worth insulting it's creator. You can say you don't like something without being childish or hyperbolic.

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Dunno, he is changing his opinion while the movie is being panned critically, to me, if he was flip-flopping it would be if the movie was well received and he suddenly decided to change his opinion to go with the flow. If anything he´s going against the flow.

Flip-flopping is pandering to the thing that is popular, and decidedly at least on the Internet AoE is not.

19. Galvatron II

Once again, Michael Bay movies aren't bad because they're action movies. They're bad because they're poorly made films that fail at narrative construction and only serve to pander to and indulge their audience.

There are such things as good, fun action movies. Hell, there are such things as good, fun, dumb action movies. I don't understand how people don't get this...

20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You don't understand a lot of things and I just don't have the time to help you.