Fan Art: Learning 3d rendering

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by HeroicC300, Sep 18, 2011.

1. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Okay, apparently some people (no one on this board though) think I could be one of those who models (like the 3d mockups form comic-con) Transformers. So, how the hell do I learn Blender?

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I made some headway viewing tutorials on Youtube, Blender's interface is a bit wonky but you start to get used to it after a while.

I've got 3D-Spatial visualization issues (I'm easly bambooozled by optical illusions, more so than most people), so even though I made some headway with the interface, I never made much with actually modelling.

But if _I_ can bang together some intersecting polygons, and your friend think you might have the right stuff, you may have much better luck!

3. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Thanks. I'm saving up for Blender for Dummies, and I'll start out making Cyberverse stuff. Then a few deluxes, and a few HAs.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

The problem with Blender is not making models, it's making printable models. A while ago someone gave me a Warpath Model made in Blender to check for them for a fee, and when I looked through it, the entire thing was both non-manifold and had planes intersecting everywhere inside and out.

My advice would be to ask yourself: how long do i want to spend on learning this? Of the answer is less than a year, then you might have a problem.

5. C2567

C2567 Well-Known Member

its definitely not something you can pick very fast. it takes some logic to figure out how to poly-model, start out by box modeling (taking a primitive shape and pulling and pushing vertexes to get basic shapes) or something.

I'm assuming you know a bit about blender already, if not, learn the basics. I cannot stress this enough. you don't want to be hunting around the interface looking for buttons while trying to model a complex model .. get thorough with the software and learn it inside out, then develop your skills by modeling.
    remember like figure customizing, your skills can only improve with each experiment so just mess around a lot! I learnt adobe aftereffects completely by messing around, and even though i didn't know the meanings of many parameters/toggles i knew what they did practically.

so get a good book, mess around and just experiment and get to know the software ..

:)  have fun .. !

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    www.blender.org

From their home page you can jump to the blender wiki, which has tutorials and instructions on how to use it.

But don't think you are gonna "pick it up"; there is an uphill learning curve. But don't worry- it is do-able.

Also, DL some model files and deconstruct them.

The good thing is that it has an updated interface so that you can learn it easier.

Again, daunting as it sounds it is do-able.

7. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Thanks, I like how you guys are supportive of us n00bs entering the Radicon life.

Would a Bandanna look silly if molded onto the robot mode head?

8. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    I'll ask around. One guy I asked about as far as making TF models goes says that learning vehicles is key first. I figure I'd start by making car models, then some basic transformations (think cyberverse bumblebee) before getting complicated. My first Cyberverse fig for the pitch I intend to build up is gonna have a semi-bizarre transformation.

9. C2567

C2567 Well-Known Member

:)  your welcome bro ! not much of a blender user myself but the same principles apply for every software :) 

and Nope, NOTHING will look silly if done correctly and enough time and effort is given to it. what matters is that you always keep your aim high :)  its far better to set your aim high and fall short than aiming low and achieving your mark (michealangelo i think :D )

so go ahead :)  robots with bandanas, pigs with rubber donuts :)  anythings possible :) 

10. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    The idea for the bandanna is that the person lost his lower jaw, so it works like Megatron's tarp in TF3.

11. C2567

C2567 Well-Known Member

umm... ok ! go for it bro ! :) 

12. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    It's a transformer, and it would look similar to Bludgeon's face from Stormbringer.

The bandanna would have two Wrecker symbols on it, so if you fold it in half diagonally, it would fit over his mouth.

Not sure where it would go in his vehicle mode, probably in the trunk.

13. C2567

C2567 Well-Known Member

are you planning on printing these? if so then you probably would want to keep off of the bandana and make it yourself.

but if your not, fabric is still a very hard thing to model and is one of the more advance aspects as getting the 'flow' is quite hard.

14. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Not printing. I'm asking for advice so I can be one of the official Transformer toy designers.

My big dream would be doing a five-part classics Raiden update, using classic locomotives

But for now I'm content to learn the basics and do cyberverse figs.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Then learn 3D CAD.

16. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Hate to burst your bubble, but I've been designing for around 2.5 years now, and I'm still nowhere near that level. If you're learning Blender, it'd take that long just to learn the basics, I'd imagine. It's a program with a steep learning curve.

Also, if you don't print, how will you know your designs work? Even my best designs have to be tested before I can release them to the public. Fremble went through 6 incarnations before I was satisfied, and a lot of things won't become obvious until printed. I didn't know for sure Reika FS would work in Scourge's vehicle mode until I got the print, even though I went to great lengths to design it in.

Plus, doing Cyberverse figs is much harder than it sounds. Even something like Powerglide has a he'll of a lot of detail work on him, and just getting the jet mode down is difficult.

I guess what I'm trying to say here isn't that it's impossible, but you got a long way to go before you can even hope to make a Raiden. I wish you all th best of luck, but it looks to me the task in front of you is not going to be easy.

Edit: depending on where you are, it might be worth contacting Tedimus Prime (the guy that drew the Holi picture). He mentioned he's on some Hasbro designing course or something like that. I don't know the details, but by the sounds of it it might be able to fast track you to your goals, assuming there's one where you live.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Solidworks is the best program by far. It's a bit pricey, but you can get a student edition for a discounted price with a limited license. It comes with tutorials that will teach you everything you need to know. The student edition is about $100 for a year. To own it outright, will set you back about $4,000. Alibre Design has a $100 version, and it's usage is similar to Solidworks, but I have no idea how it stacks up feature wise. I only used the trial which was the full version that is $800.

I've never used Blender, but I did download it and I couldn't figure out how to even do a simple sphere. You get what you pay for as the pay ones are far simpler to use.

18. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    S'why I got Blender for Dummies.

And thanks for the advice telling me to preserve.

19. C2567

C2567 Well-Known Member

If your hoping to do this in a professional basis, I think your going to need to show something more than that. not being rude or anything but becoming a toy designer is not easy, learning the software is only part of it.. you have to be aware (atlas slightly) of the various stages of toy production, you need to have printed some successful 3d designs and etc..

learning blender is hard enough, to become a professional toy designer is harder.

I think you may need to take some course in CAD, industrial design, architecture etc..

and all Programs need some kind of similar real life experience, for example, a zbrush user (to be proficient in his work) has to be thorough with painting and sculpting, because computer or not the same physics/skill applies there.

20. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Your looking at a long road ahead of you. do you have drawings that youve stared and can show us. also you should start using modeling clay to build with (not every thing uses copmuters) you can pick up supersculpty at you local arts and crafts store. blender is a good way to get started but may give you problems working with diffirent interfaces later on. not sure how young you are but try to take a drafting course at your local schools.

I know it sounds like alot but you can do more then just design toys with this education

hope to see your work soon bro