Non-TF: LDV Metal Black Lion Ear Fix

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Autobot00, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

One of the things I've seen people complain about with the Metal Legendary Defender Voltron is the ears of the black lion don't move. I too was disappointed so i set out to do something about it.

This fix can be done by anyone with an exacto or razor knife or sprue cutters. Note that this does involve partsforming and while I could have probably attempted to go the extra mile this was quick and easy and i just wanted to do something simple.

At the end of this tutorial this will be the end result.

20170902_231849.jpg
    First you will need to remove the ears completely. Since the ears are a soft plastic/rubber it is not actually part of Voltrons head. Its actually just sitting there via friction.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT USE ANYTHING TO HELP YOU REMOVE THE EARS AS YOU MAY CAUSE DAMAGE USING SMALL OBJECTS SUCH AS A SCREWDRIVER, TWEEZERS, ETC. I did not need anything other than my fingers so use tools at your own risk!

To remove Voltrons ears you need to push down both sides until it starts to move. This is just to get it dislodged. Once you get some movement push one side down until one side is lower than the other. Its at this point you can start pulling the higher side up while pushing the other down pulling it up and out.

When you get it out it looks like this (without the cuts). What you need to do is cut the 2 large sections off of the middle skinny section. Sorry for the blurry photo, my phone doesn't like to focus. Then you need to cut the bottom corner of the ears off for it to sit correctly in the head. Note that you DO NOT need to cut the bottom off if you like the positioning you can achieve without doing so. If u want it to sit down in the head you need to do it.
    20170902_231004.jpg

When you make the cuts it will look like this. At the time of this post I have currently cut 1/16 off the bottom for a length of 3/16. I may increase the 3/16 to 1/4 to allow it to sit lower.
    20170902_230914.jpg

The ears after they have been cut are snug fit into the holes left in the top of the black lion head. I first thought about trying to make a pinned joint but decided that was more work than i cared to do and it really isnt necessary unless you are anti partsformer
    20170902_231712.jpg

And here is a side view after the reinstall. Notice there is a notch underneath to get your finger nail in to easily remove the ear for transformation to put it flipped back up.
    20170902_231912.jpg

Here is a comparison picture of an ear down and an ear up in the original positioning.
    20170902_231952.jpg

And here is a comparison shot showing the modified metal defender and the legendary defender. As i said earlier I'm thinking of increasing the 3/16 cut to 1/4 to help move the ears down further. Still undecided. What do you think?
    20170902_232114.jpg

Hope you enjoy this little quick and easy mod. its something anyone can really attempt and it does so much more for this great little toy.

Now to fix the wings!

• Like Like x 4
  2. maxxzander

maxxzander Banned

thanks for the awesome guide!! 7345a901-4d0a-4846-a313-35c69b0ea032.jpg

3. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

Np and good job.