Late legendary actor James Dean to appear in CGI for new film

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Haha, well that and because it's Martin fucking Scorsese directing Robert fucking Deniro, Al fucking Pacino, Joe fucking Pesci, Harvey fucking Keitel and more in another mob movie. You do whatever it takes and whatever they want in a perfect storm situation like that :) 

Oh and the fact that they're all still very much ALIVE instantly kills that dude's weak correlation to whatever he's trying to compare with good ol' DEAD James Dean there.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This guy is the most disingenuous asshole of all recorded human history. There is no way he is surprised by the backlash. In fact, I'm sure he was counting on it in order to generate awareness and exploit it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I can only imagine how gutted the Elvis estate must be that this technology is arriving just as their customer base is dying off.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Live fast, die young, and leave behind a fucking weird CGI puppet of yourself.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems they should have just hired an actor that looks like Dean.

I don't really have a problem with CGI Tarkin & Leia because they wanted to bring back the 'characters' they played & wanted them to look as they did in ANH. They were Tarkin & Leia, not Crushing & Fisher. Unless the character in this film is supposed to be the character Dean played, no need to CGI him. We've had hundreds of films where actors portrayed another real life person and not many people complain about that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    The tech still isn't there for this type of stuff. It always ends up looking like a cartoon or something. They should just hire an actor that looks close enough (as @Macross7 said).

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I have no problem with it

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It won't look good because of the technical limitations of the day, but I don't see anything immoral in it.

Actors always were selling their visage and likeness. Let's not pretend there's anything sanctified to it.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, but those actors are usually alive to consent to that.

Like it's not the CGI'ing an actor that's weird, it's the fact that you're doing it to a dead guy who can't do anything about it. Plus, CGI people just... rub me the wrong way. It never looks right.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

If they can secure rights to using his likeness then it's okay. Those rights almost always belong to someone. More often the actor's family. Someone got paid for this and gave consent.

Performer's likeness is just a product as any other. CGI sucks for now... In decades it might get better.

12. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt that the people holding the rights to dean's likeness ever met him. I don't care about it, personally, but I can see why it is a bit weird.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Can't wait to see how it looks

14. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

The weirdest part of the statement to me is they say that they consider it the “film he never got to make.” It’s not like this is some passion project he never got to make like that recent Orson Welles movie they finally finished. James Dean died 10 years before the Vietnam War happened.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Exactly. I was fine with Tarkin and Leia. They were characters in a previous movie. Doing that is fine. Taking an actor, putting them in a new role is just wrong. It is also pointless and stupid at this point. Younger generations won't care about James Dean, and the older generation probably won't see it. Heck I'd care more if it was Jimmy Dean giving me sausages.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    If this twat "director" - again, a guy who has NEVER actually directed ANY movie EVER in his life as of yet - doesn't put sarcastic quotes around "James Dean's" name, that will be the real outrage. Because this thing won't be starring James Dean in any sense at all. It will be starring a lifeless computer generated animation that just sort of looks and sounds like James Dean no different than ANY cartoon. This will be exactly like acting "with" fake dinosaurs or aliens or whatever the hell else doesn't exist and are added later in post production. And whatever it may look like, it ain't James Dean.

I actually wonder what the legal parameters of something like this would be. As in, could they even legally say it IS him when it obviously isn't?

17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Rolling with the common sense, the FX studio should be in the credits for a CG toon. But it's Hollywood. Common sense might or might not apply.

Personally, I'd rather see 100% original artificial actors rather than the on-screen necromancy... But we're decades too soon for either approach not being an uncanny valley fest anyway.

18. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Next, Vincent Price.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I'm just waiting for Lion King-style "live-action" remakes of live action classics. Like Wizard of Oz or It's a Wonderful Life done completely in CG with the original voice work.