Late legendary actor James Dean to appear in CGI for new film

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Nov 6, 2019.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62677555
    James Dean Will Be Digitally Resurrected for Vietnam War Movie

James Dean will be brought back to the big screen through CGI visual effects for the Vietnam War era drama “Finding Jack.”

The actor, best known for “Rebel Without a Cause,” “East of Eden” and “Giant,” died in a car accident in 1955 at age 24. Magic City Films has obtained rights from his family to cast Dean posthumously in the secondary lead role in the movie.

“Finding Jack” will be adapted from Gareth Crocker’s novel. Based on the actual existence and abandonment of over 10,000 canine units at the end of the Vietnam War, “Finding Jack” is an emotional journey about friendship and love under desperate circumstances.

“We feel very honored that Dean's family supports us and will take every precaution to ensure that his legacy as one of the most epic film stars to date is kept firmly intact,” producer Anton Ernst said in a statement. “The family views this as his fourth movie, a movie he never got to make. We do not intend to let his fans down.”

Mark Roesler, CEO of CMG Worldwide, the business agent for the family of James Dean said, “With the rapidly evolving technology, we see this as a whole new frontier for many of our iconic clients. This opens up a whole new opportunity for many of our clients who are no longer with us.”

I have to wonder how this will work. He couldn't possibly have shot some scenes already.

Also I feel this could be crossing a line, a line that may be guarded by family members but still a line. Why not bring back Alec Guinness or Peter Sellers or even Clark Gable? It'd be wonderful to see them again but it just wouldn't be them, if you get my meaning.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Huh. Well, I suppose in Hollywood's undying quest to feed audiences 'memberberries, it wouldn't be surprising to see them try to make this a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  4. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Maybe they can make him a better actor this time

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don’t like this at all. James Dean is obviously an icon of 50’s Hollywood. That’s not something you replace easily. I don’t want to accuse the estate of anything because they might have good intentions, but it kinda seems to me like they might need some money if they signed off on this. I feel like this is crossing the line a bit because it’s not a character that James Dean has already played or James Dean himself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So why exactly do they need to cgi a long dead actor when i don't know cast a living actor? But at least its not another paint by numbers Marvel movie.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    So are they bringing back Steve McQueen back next so they can make Bullit 2?

8. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Chris Evans had a Twitter post about this, he doesn’t agree with this. But then again, lots of others don’t either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree. And I was someone who defended Tarken in Rogue One. It didn't bug me, because it was more about the character, not the actor. It's not that (fundamentally) different from drawing his likeness in a comic or something.

But this technology is becoming kind of creepy, the more it gets used. Especially when you take into consideration what @Jochimus said. It's basically just a way to cash in on something people recognize. That's sort of depressing. All the things you can do with film, and we're resurrecting long dead actors instead of using all the wonderful talent available today.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I hope it turns out as good as the Carrie Fisher scene in Rogue One.

But seriously, it sucks to see someone's family shamelessly cash in like this.

11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Here's the link if anyone's interested.

Chris Evans, Dylan Sprouse & More Stars Slam CGI Casting of James Dean

"This is awful. Maybe we can get a computer to paint us a new Picasso, or write a couple new John Lennon tunes. The complete lack of understanding here is shameful." Chris Evans

"This shouldn't be a thing." Elijah Wood

"I have talked to friends about this for YEARS and no one ever believed me that the industry would stoop this low once tech got better. Publicity stunt or not, this is puppeteering the dead for their clout alone and it sets such an awful precedent for the future of performance." Zelda Williams

That's a bit harsh, considering he died before he could evolve into a better actor.

Bring back Yul Bruyner! Bring back Dorothy Dandridge! Bring back Charlie Chaplin! Bring back Greta Garbo (wait, do people know her?)!

Who knows why they agreed? Maybe clout has some part in it, but if they think the film will do respect to James Dean and it succeeds that way, then maybe it's all right.

It's not a precedent I like, but that's how technology is these days. Who knows, one day you only need CGI actors which means no more Hollywood actors or something.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Eh, he also very well might not have either. Some actors are just bad - their young ages or premature deaths have nothing to do with it. Dean, like several other actors of his generation, gets a constant pass because he was hot and it didn’t take anything to be “iconic” within JUST three lousy movies back then. That simple. Well that and the whole dying thing, of course.

Regardless, I don’t see this project actually moving forward anyway, let alone opening any flood gates for even more ‘resurrections’. Thankfully most families/estates have to sign off on stuff like this in the first place, and more thankfully, most of them just never will.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Considering his death was his own fault, I rule this a fair joke to make.

Also, I think you're being naive about actors' estates. The world is full of surviving families who have accomplished nothing on their own and are eager to cash in on a famous relative who actually made a name for themself somehow.

And yeah, it was money. What else?

14. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Peter Cushing says "Hi."

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You mean that weird muppet-looking cartoon guy from Revenge of the Sith?

16. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trying to understand the "Why", Janes Dean was before my time and Im in my forties. Doubt most movie goers now dont know eho he us anyway. My mind was blown enough as a little kid watching Bonanza and Wild Wild West, and findindung they didnt look like that anymore. By the time I came along Adam was balding and Jim West was fat.

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Finding Jack Director Defends CGI James Dean Casting

The director of the project, Anton Ernst, has responded to the negative backlash the news received, saying that he is both “saddened” and “confused” by the response.

"We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean,” Ernst told The Hollywood Reporter. “I think they [the Dean family] would have wanted their family member's legacy to live on. That's what we've done here as well. We've brought a whole new generation of filmgoers to be aware of James Dean.”

Ernst explained that, despite auditioning live actors, he instead decided that the deceased actor is the perfect casting choice. He described Rogan as a “very brilliant, complex character,” which he noted is "pretty much how James Dean was perceived.”

Attempting to justify his position, Ernst noted how “visual effects is a tool,” juxtaposing his intent to utilize Dean’s image with how Star Wars posthumously included Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing in their recent movies. He emphasized how “Anyone that is brought back to life -- you have to respect them. I think the line should be ... you must always honor the deceased's wishes and try to act in a way that is honorable and full of dignity.”

The director also pointed to Martin Scorsese’s forthcoming movie, The Irishman, which uses digital effects to de-age actors.

The movie is adapted by Mari Sova and is based on Gareth Cocker’s novel. The script apparently focuses on how more than 10,000 military dogs were abandoned at the end of the Vietnam War.

"At the end of the day, what we really want people to know is the movie is about love and friendship, the veterans that served in the Vietnam War and especially the dogs that were with them. We never want to lose that emphasis and this [social media reaction] becomes a distraction of what the story is about.”

18. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Haha, well of course this clown will defend it - he's hoping it'll finally be his meal ticket into some notoriety.

I'm now more curious as to where the financing for such an ambitious project is supposedly coming from in the first place seeing as how this Anton Ernst guy has directed exactly ZERO movies before, and has only "produced" a swaggle of what look to be straight-to-DVD indies that look like they were made on smart phones.

I say again: this will never get off the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I seem to recall this sky-is-falling hysteria when the CG film Beowulf hit.

Sky didn’t fall.

I wonder about the voicing.

I’m curious about how this will go.

I myself have always had a crush on Judy Garland.

20. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don’t see it happening either. To have a digital James Dean throughout the entire movie would be insanely expensive. The only reason we’re probably getting The Irishman where everyone is de-aged for half of the movie is because studios trust that Martin Scorsese movies make a lot of money and earn them accolades.