last video game beaten and your rating out of 10.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by bignick1693, May 26, 2010.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Watch_Dogs - 7/10.

2. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 501st Legion Trooper

News Credits:
    Pokemon Soul Silver - 9/10

3. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Dragon Age 2

I really tried to like it. I really did. It has interesting ideas and concepts, but it did not come together well.

The combat is really repetitive and simple and plentiful. Character building is oversimplified, I'm not a min/max or optimal stat building person but I need more than what this game offered because the combat alone is not interesting. I'd argue the fatal flaw of this game is the padding. Too many quests and near all of them involve multiple waves of enemies to wade through but don't add to the narrative (it detracts from it, actually). Way too much combat.

Equipment was something I never really had to keep track of and by the time I finished the game, I had acquired 300+ gold. What am I supposed to do with all that?

The story, quests, and characters are all forgettable. 90% of the game is fluff to extend the time it takes to beat. The game hardly digs into Dragon Age lore. None of the locations you visit seem to have any history or any flair to make it stand out and Kirkwall, where most of the game takes place, is a boring, gray, and tedious place to navigate.

I like the attempt at a smaller scaled story, at least when it comes to Bioware, but there really isn't a story to any of the 3 acts until the very end of each one and the "grey vs grey" conflict made it hard for me to be very invested in what happened, to put it lightly. The Qunari plot was great though. Because Qunari are the best.

When it comes to the companions, you only converse with them a few times an act, rather than the usual plethora of dialogue Bioware companions usually offer. They stand out more than the rest of DAII's cast, and they're fairly lively for what they are, but ultimately they're pretty forgettable. Each character has an arc of sorts, but they all feel very cookie cutter. There is a friend/rivalry relation system implemented which I thought was really neat, but typical Bioware, you're penalized for not completely going one way or the other. If you change how you feel about a character half way through, you might get fucked over later on.
    I don't like the Mass Effect dialogue wheel. Especially not in Dragon Age. It should go away and rot forever.

And it was really buggy. I didn't like it. Glad Varric and Cassandra are in the third one, which looks like it's a step in the right direction. Hope Aveline and Bethany make an appearance as well.

Gordon please don't hate me

4. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dark Souls - 10/10

It was an emotional, unique and intense ride. I loved this game, and am already half way through on NG+, and started another new character. I can't wait to get my hands on Dark Souls 2.

5. TFGrace13

TFGrace13 Tu fui, ego eris.

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 9.5/10

Classic characters with a snarky twist, hilarious dialogue, and fun gameplay mechanics. This is, or course, the third or fourth time I've beaten the game, but it never gets old, in all honesty. My favorite of the M&L series so far.

6. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Demon's Souls -9/10
    Very challenging game play feels less like I beat it and more like I survived it. Wish there was a bit more to the story it was kind of bare bones.

7. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Murdered: Soul Suspect - 6.5/10

A decent supernatural detective thriller, with some fun ideas, and not so great others. The story, investigations, and general open world feel are nice and well implemented, but other aspects, like the lame combat and stealth sections, aren't very good.

A good rent or buy at a low price.

8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away

The Last Of Us 8/10.

Please don't crucify me for not giving it 10/10. I have my reasons.

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Please explain why. I think you have it a fair score.

10. UndertakerPrime

Ok, you asked for it... :lol 
    ***SPOILERS AHEAD***

First, the positive. Graphics, sound design, voice acting, story are all superb. The level of tension the game generates is unlike almost anything I've ever played. It's also possibly the most grisly and visceral gaming experience I've ever had; there were times I couldn't look when Joel/Ellie were being killed. (Watching Ellie get a machete through the back? Holy crap). The Winter level stands out, especially the boss fight against David, one of the most disturbing characters ever in a game.

Now, why I only gave it an 8...
    First, there was more than one occasion where I thought I was in the middle of similar games, especially Half Life 2. Some environments were very reminiscent of HL2, along with the Clicker enemies. I realize there's only so many ways to illustrate a post-apocalyptic world, but some sections just didn't seem all that original.

However, I still would have scored it a 9 if not for one thing: the final level.
    Let me explain: The whole game Joel is built up as a character you sympathize with and want to guide along his path. His relationship with Ellie helps him gradually open up and start acting like he did before his daughter died. I couldn't wait to get him and Ellie to their destination. And his killing was more out of necessity and survival than pure bloodlust.

Then when he finds out Ellie will be operated on in an attempt to save all of humanity, he goes off the deep end. I found myself very unmotivated to guide him through the last level because suddenly he devolves into a flat-out murderer. He kills person after person, including those who didn't really need to be killed like the surgeon and Marlene, and denies humanity a chance to survive, just because he can't get over his daughter's death 20 years earlier. Marlene knew Ellie since she was little, and was willing to face the pain of losing her for the good of the human race, something Joel couldn't do.

And then, to top it off, Joel lies to Ellie's face about what happened, even after she seemed to hint that she would be ok with giving her life for humanity. So Joel gets what HE wants, to the detriment of humanity, Ellie's wishes, and the people he murdered who only wanted to find a cure. To me it was a very questionable decision to have Joel lose all the emotional growth he made over the course of the game and ultimately prove himself to be a bloodthirsty, selfish prick.

It's to the game's credit that it makes me feel so strongly about the characters, but I felt like most of the time I spent playing was wasted because there was no payoff, just regression. I understand many people, including the critics who consider this game one of the best ever, don't agree with me, but that's just my humble opinion.

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

metal gear solid: snake eater 3D. 10/10

the story always gets me at the end of the game.

12. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    MGS3 is still my favorite game to date. The many involved systems in the game all work great with each other, the story and setting is great all around, it's really cool seeing such an heroic and 'Murican character who would inevitably become the main antagonist (Although let's face it, now that Big Boss has more game entries than Solid Snake, I think it's safe to say this story is about him.).

I haven't played the 3DS version, but I think the HD Version on PS3 is absolutely amazing. Would you say I should get the 3DS Version?

13. MetalRyde

only if you have the circle pad pro accessory for the 3DS/3DS XL.

the game is just too hard to play without the CPP.

MGS3 on vita looks better and a bit better with the controls.

for 3DS CPP, check nintendo.com online store.
    for 3DS XL CPP, check amazon.com. they are shipped from japan so it will take a while to arrive at your home.
    the japanese CPP is region free and will work on all 3DSXL.

14. UndertakerPrime

MSG3 is my favorite of the Metal Gear series. The funny thing is when I first played it, I HATED it because without radar, the cumbersome camera control became a major nuisance. The redone camera control in Subsistance made the game infinitely more enjoyable.

15. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Personally I enjoy the 3ds edition the most. I own the original, hd and 3ds. The reason why I like the 3ds more is because of the controls. It uses the over the shoulder camera that started in mgs 4. I prefer 3rd person over 1st but that is just a personal preference. But 3ds is only playable with the circle pad pro.

16. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: Rise of The Dark Spark (PS4) - 5/10

A mediocre Cybertron mid-quel, mixed with an even worse movie tie-in. It definitely would have been better served as a sequel to AOE, rather than...whatever it was that they did. LOL

Some of the action was fun, and playing Grimlock had it's moments, but it was a pretty meh experience overall.

In terms of Activision published movie tie-ins, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was worse, but this wasn't that much better.

17. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior - 6.5/10
    Interesting little Tie-in for the Shadow Warrior remake. You clean up after one of Lo Wang's Rampages as a character that acts just like him (one-liners just about every other action) It took me 2 hours to clean the temple, and apparently I didn't get everything and that's why VCD Shadow Warrior gets a 6.5/10. if the Cheevo's weren't broke It would've gotten 7

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shovel Knight: 10/10

Beat the game, and am working on New Game + right now, but I want more. I NEED more.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    FF XIII 8.5 out of 10

Great story,graphics and character and environmental design. The level up system is okay and the battle controls were okay I'd prefer classic controls but then again i am old school when it comes to RPGS.

Made Orphan my bitch but still have to get the rest of the marks on gran pulse which i shall do eventually.

20. MetalRyde

Resistance: Retribution for psp. 7/10

it was nice. the parts of driving a mech was cool. this one enemy with a female body were annoying as hell. the walk up to you and explode their heads making you lose 20% of your health. come in groups of 3 or more.