Last Unite Warriors EX Combiner?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RobotKnight95, Nov 12, 2016.

1. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    With the revealed of Baldigus/Ruination (called it) for Unite Warriors EX and the story leading to Unicron's victory it's now time to ask what combiner, possibly the last combiner for the line, will be. Now this is all speculation and not based off any facts or rumors. This entire idea I'm only sharing because we all know how the story is going to turn for the better before it ends.

Before getting into the theorizing it's important to list what molds/remolds have not been used by Takara excluding convention and Collector Club exclusives. Thus far Takara has not used the Battle Core Optimus remold and the Hasbro Strafe remold. The former only supports a new head while the latter includes that and more. While this is only two molds our of five it would not be a surprise if Takara created new heads for the remaining three members similar to Cursed Thrust and Ghost Starscream from the Grand Galvatron set.

With the essential information covered I'm going to list what I think may be possible for this theoretical combiner.

1) Nexus Prime
    I make this suggestion based off the possibility Takara will use both remolds listed above. The Optimus Prime remold would serve as Heatwave and Strafe being re-purposed for Breakaway. The complications with this lineup, toy-wise, is that the Heatwave better resembles the Onslaught remold of Hot Spot. The second issue is that Breakaway closer resembles the Firefly mold than Air Raid's.

Another complication, though specifically related to their origins, is that Nexus Prime was originally a Collector's Club exclusive. While this may or may not have any effect on a Takara re-imagining yet there is a possible loophole. Rather than basing it off the original Classics iteration Takara's remake could use the Aligned/Prime version. The characters are entirely different which could grant more liberties. They include Clocker, Mainspring, Chaindrive, Pinion, and Cannonspring.

However this option is most likely not practical for a few reasons. The first being these characters originate from media Takara most likely doesn't acknowledge (not that I blame them) and excluding Clocker the rest of the gestalt are indeed original. Not only that but they have no visual references for toy design and their arrangement goes unlisted in any related media. Grand Galvatron may have included Roller from the IDW comics but they had a reference to work with. Mainspring, Chaindrive, Pinion, and Cannonspring have no such thing which may eliminate such an option.

2) A Unicron Trilogy themed combiner
    It's common knowledge that Energon's primary gimmick for most of the figures was the ability to Powerlink combine with other characters, be they only two bots or more. Although the designers already tried something approaching this idea with Optimus Maximus homaging Energon's Prime Force while using Generation One characters. Skipping over whether or not they succeeded in this idea there has been a few homages to past Transformer iterations in modern lines including Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and Armada.

"But who could this team consist of?" one may ask. Well there are a few ideas which would make good choices. There are two characters that could be used from BC Optimus Prime excluding the prime himself. Thunderclash and Energon Rodimus. While the latter is a strange selection some of the profile does match. A crested helmet, a semi-truck alt mode, ability to combine, and a history of time-space meddling. Thunderclash was re-purposed from Rodimus but the original toy release was later used for Machine Wars Optimus Prime. Although Thunderclash is not a Unicron Trilogy character his remold deserves mention given the similarities to his design and the BC Optimus toy.

For Strafe the answer may come as a shock. Energon Jetfire. Although a strange suggestion it's not impossible. The original toy was able to combine and Jetfire is a prominent character despite changing his identity between each show. What gave inspiration to this idea was Jetfire's repaint brother Overcast. His alt mode is space themed and his head design looks identical to Strafe's so it is possible for Jetfire to be used.

This only leaves three molds left to finish the gestalt. Looking into other prominent Unicron Trilogy characters there are two that come to mind. Red Alert and Hot Shot. These two have a number of toys to take inspiration from for designs. For Red Alert his Armada design could be reinvented with First Aid's mold or his Cybertron Defense form with Rook. For Hot Shot there, surprisingly, isn't much variety in terms of molds. His Armada or Cybertron form could be used from the Dead End/Streetwise mold. Alternatively his Cybertron Defense design could be used Rook or Swindle/Hound. It is unlikely Rook would be used a second time but evidence of Wildrider and Slingshot may prove otherwise.

This only leaves one member left to finish the team. Now I could list a number of characters including Energon Arcee, Cybertron Scattershot (named Backpack in Japan), Armada Blurr, and more. All of these are valid ideas for the fifth member but if I am to choose one character to focus on I have to choose one character above the rest. Armada Wheeljack (Rampage in Japan). I choose him for two reasons. The first being that out of the Armada Decepticons Wheeljack was one of the more interesting ones due to his backstory. He was a Decepticon but he had reason to switch sides and near the end of the series he accepting of an Autobot/Decepticon alliance. This would be a great mirror of the use of IDW Roller for Grand Galvatron to have a single Decepticon on an otherwise all-Autobot team. The second reason for his choice is mold selection. Wheeljack's original toy bears a resemblance to the 2008 Universe Sideswipe mold. That mold was used several times which included Sunstreaker an Breakdown. As it turns our we have a mold from Combiner Wars that was made with those two characters. Given this it would seem possible to make a Armada Wheeljack shaped head for that mold.

With everything I wanted to say out in the open I now wish to see what everyone who reads this thinks. Do you think we'll see one last EX combiner or do you think Baldigus is the last of the line?

2. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're missing a few toolings that are options - Rook w/alt head (Brawl-like), Trailbreaker w/Hoist head, and Wheeljack w/alt head (the one TFCC is using for Counterpunch, which is part of the HasTak tooling, not a Club exclusive). There's also the Toxitron head for Motormaster (also HasTak tooling, bot FunPub's), the Armada Demolisher head for Onslaught and the (presumed) Inferno head for Hot Spot. Takara has also chosen not to use the Brawl drill weapon.

There are a few ideas here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/unite-warriors-uw-after-baldigus.1091770

I think we'll see a couple more UW-EX combiners - maybe one more RID one and a 'Con Unicron Trilogy one. While I'd love Nexus Maximus, that dream probably died when FunPub's contract didn't get renewed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have we actually seen proof of the Brawl/Rook, Hoist, or Inferno heads?

The only ones we've SEEN that they haven't used are Counterpunch, Toxitron, BC Optimus, Demolishor, Hellbat, Killbison, Gaihawk, Drillhorn, CW Strafe, Deathsaurus.

4. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

I guess Takara will use the Breast-master Retools with a few tweaks for their version of Leokaizer.
    Basically make new combiner ports with 5-mm compatibility and make some newly tooled "Breastmaster" mini-figures.

"Beast" Deathsaurus? Well I guess they could make him Gigastorm without a doubt.

Toxitron or BC Optimus could be used for Sentinel Maximus, if Takara would be so bold about it

Demolishor could easily be retooled with a additional Combiner head as "General Demolishor" that Homage both his Energon and Transtech head designs. And Feature Redecoes of existing molds as any of Armada's Numerous G1-model generics as new individuals with names and bios. They could have a backstory of them being lower ranked deceptions that are lead by Demolishor to help out the Autobots take on Unicron's forces, In homage to the last episodes of Armada.

And Counterpunch would be a tricky case. Universe Treadshot perhaps?

But i do know that CW Strafe could be redeco'd into Cannonball, Easy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    Proof, absolutely not. They're implied in various FunPub fiction, and they do meet the "two heads per mold" rule of thumb (not a rule, mind you), but no proof at all. I could have been a bit more precise in pointing out those might exist

As an aside, the Brawl/Rook one I believe absolutely exists. There were a few rumors that Hasbro's designers weren't sure they'd get budget for Brawl early on and designed Rook as an "in case." That rumor came up before the appearance of Shattered Glass X-Brawn (Rook w/a Brawl-ish face) in the FunPub comic and cemented it for me, but your mileage may vary

6. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I was thinking Armada combiner, but Decepticon:

CW Wheeljack w/ Sunstreaker's hood and new head - Wheeljack (Sunstreaker's head could work)
    UW Groove w/ New head - Sideways
    Rook w/ new head - Demolishor
    Alpha Bravo w/ new head - Cyclonus (Maybe Blades repaint)

For the torso I'm thinking a heavy retool of either Hot Spot or Onslaught as Tidal Wave.

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Baldigus is a set of Car Robots characters. It only makes sense that his counterpart and "final fusion" be Omega Prime.
    Fire Convoy (hotspot with new combiner noggin)
    Wildride-first aid with new noggin and left arm similar to trailbreaker, so the combiner fist can be plugged in to evoke his old southpaw)
    Speedbreaker-deadend mold, new noggin)
    Mach Alert-Breakdown mold, new head)
    God Magnus-rook mold, new head, include nosecone's guns

Bonus Million Publishing exclusive: Legends Groove as T-AI

8. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Another lineup I could see happening, since Takara is deadset on using all of the unique toolings at least once....
    Checkpoint (battle core optimus)
    Swat Prowl (dragstrip)
    Heatrock (us Nosecone)
    Skyfeather (us Strafe)
    Medix (first aid)

I call 'em the Protectobot B-Team, they prefer Gaia Guardian

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fallout

Fallout no one can see me cry

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i always wanted a combiner from 'upgraded' minicons with equal numbers of factions. maybe brainwashed by unicron or sideways or something?

sparkplug from sunstreaker
    leader-1 from swindle
    swindle from drag strip
    longarm/jolt/comettor from offroad/blades/brawl

for the torso... dead end from scattershot? closest analogue for a fake planet with a big ol cannon is a spaceship with a big ol cannon, i guess. combiner head could be either unicron, or a bigger dead end head or sideways' 'neutral' head. bonus points for retooling sideways from groove as chest armor.

10. MrSoundmeister

Hmm, I think a more interesting combination for a Unicron-related combiner is if Unicron was actually part of the combiner, I mean the Motormaster mold woulda been perfect, Maybe if Grand Scourge was made out of the Toxitron head with Menasor combiner head with a new face piece, Even Menasor's Chestpiece is closer to the Chaosbringer's chest than any other mold.

Also Making Sideways from Groove with a retooled "Combiner Connector" with Titanmaster compatibility, That way he can Emulate his "Double headmaster" Feature. Either that or base his head on his Robot Masters toy, which is based on Road Pig.

And for the other limbs, i sorta picked "Nemesis" Strika, Decepticharge and Universe Treadshot as the rest of the components cuz' they were considered Unicron's Minions, lesser known ones. Though if Strika out of Rook was made, then we could have a Strika, And with Decepticharge will have a Windcharger head to make a deluxe-sized Windcharger that homages both G1 and Alternators toys. Though Decepticharge would likely be Redecoed from the Legends Windcharger mold.

Hmmm, and for the upgraded minicon idea, would a team consisting of Redline,Servo,Flatout, Falcia,Combusta and Twirl be a good idea? That forms a Combiner called "Exodus" after the Armada ship.

11. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Idea: use the previously seen but still unused Demolishor retool of Onslaught, and base his limbs on Decepticon allied Minicons.
    Swindle (dragstrip)
    Blackout (rook)
    Crumplezone (brawl)
    Inferno (first aid, include a bigass gun, maybe silverbolt's)

12. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I would hooe they would make a UT themed set with Demolisher/Tidalwave as the torso. I think I'd rather see an RID combiner to combat Baldigus though.

13. MrSoundmeister

I have a hunch that upgraded minicon idea is still going strong. Though, i'd perfer the members after Blackout to be: Dualor (Brawl with new turret/C-clip attachments and weapons), Dunerunner (Hound/Swindle With Brawl head) And Terradive. (Firefly, New head.)

Eh, Well, I wonder if it's a combiner based on the R.I.D B listers rather than "Hey, let's make the main group combiners!"

14. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I chose the Minicons I did becaus e they's the "main partners" of the main decepticon cast.

As for rid second stringers, i'd love to have a team of Spychanger combiners. Problem is that since there are 6 of them, someone would inevitably get left out of the set.

Though one idea occurs to me. And Rid team made up of representatives of each autobot special team. Fire Convoy as the torso, with xbrawn, hotshot, skidz, and railspike as limbs for example.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Please please please let this happen.

16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I'd prefer SKid-Z from Dragstrip instead of Magnus but i would love this otherwise and it would make sense as an adversary to Baldigus.
    With Baldigus however i think it has become obvious that the only-one-use-of-the-mold theory is thrown overboard.
    I'm also not gonna theorise what i think they might do as i have no idea, maybe the next one is the last UW combiner, i sure hope not.
    Cause i still hope for a Nexus Prime (love those colours and yes, BC prime as Heatwave would be terrible, i'm hoping for an Onslaught retool) i still want Sideswipe, Red Alert, Jazz, Tracks and maybe Blue or Silverstreak. And there are still a lot of ideas that could sell really well using these molds.

17. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I considered skidz, but it just feels wrong without towline since they're the 2 "leftover" autobots with no team. And rook is a dead ringer for the Magnus cab without its legy trailer.

If I had to do skidz on a team i'd toss in towline (offroad with a new head and towhook) rapid run and mignight express (uw blastoff without wings) and Railspike (heavil modified Onslaught)

18. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    I would love Omega Prime - I think it makes a lot of sense to pair up against the other Car Robots figures, and it's not any more work than Victorion was in terms of remolds. They could do a pretty good job of recreating the OP mode w/two mostly white molds for arms, two grey and blue molds for legs, and a new ladder assembly to replace the combined chest and head. Well, then PE would make the back wings and big gun for us, right?

It'd also open the door to other Car Robots/RID repaints/remolds from Titans Return figures (where applicable). Any basic car (or more than one?) from Chromedome, Obsidian from Highbrow, Black Convoy from OP (obviously), maybe a Predacon or two from some of the beasts (massive remold, I suppose). There's got to be a way to do Guildo/Dark Scream as a remold from Mindwipe. I'd buy them all . . .

19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Yeah, i guess it makes more sense to include Magnus. I'd just really like chug versions of Skid-Z and Towline :) 

20. MrSoundmeister

Actually, i'd perfer the R.I.D Train Team to be more Train Focused than just slap in Tow-line and Skid-Z, Remember that they will likely homage the Universe Trainbot Micromaster Combiner members to fill in the gaps.

Also Tow-line and Skid-Z should be part of the "Extra Autobots" Combiner that will have Scavenger out of Hotspot (New Head and Scoop Arm Retooling for the cherry picker), Nightcruz out of Firefly and Stormjet out of Air Raid (With new head). I'd enjoy the idea of toy-only figures get fleshed out abit more. They might not be part of the show, but they are part of the continuity. Plus thanks to ask vector prime, We could call it "Elite Guard". And yes, Nightcruz is confirmed as a lady now.

• Like Like x 1