Last Stand of the Wreckers - Why Eight Months...?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Agamus, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

The second scene of Last Stand of the Wreckers #1 opens with "Igue-Moor Fuel Depot: Eight Months Ago"... but why?

The main story of Last Stand happens across issues 2-3 of the 2009 Costa ongoing chronologically, with the Prowl epilogue happening later between issues 5 and 6. TF09 #1 states that two years had passed since AHM, but LSotW's AHM flashback starts with "Garrus-9 Penitentiary: Three Years Ago"... so seemingly its written from the perspective of some time in the future? But later in LSotW #1 a flashback says "One Month Ago: Garrus-9" and it refers to one month prior to the main events, not 7 months in the future relative to them?

It was released Feb-May 2010, with TF09 #1-5 being released from November 2009 through April 2010, so it can't be in reference to the real-world dates... It's such a trivial detail but for the life of me I can't understand it.

2. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TF09 takes place 2 years after AHM. AHM took place over the course of a year, hence the "Three Years Ago" from LS. The 8 months from the beginning of the story explains where the Wreckers go from AHM and why they don't appear in TF09.

3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

The "Eight Months Ago" part happens after TF09 #1 though. Ironhide dying is why Magnus is called to Earth at the end of LSotW #2 and he arrives in TF09 #2.

4. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    The "Eight Months Ago" happens before TF09. As the Wreckers aren't on Earth when that series starts, so they've been gone to try and retake Autobot holdouts that where overrun. Since Magnus leaves for Earth at the end of LS #2. The timeline for the flashbacks in issue 1 goes Three Years ago (when AHM Starts), Two Years ago (When AHM ends), 8 months ago (Around 1 year 4 months after AHM), one month ago, and then modern day when they find Impactor, roughly around the time Ironhide died since it wasn't long till Magnus got the call.

5. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Igue-Moor is when the "second-stringers" board Ultra Magnus's ship though, that is the present day. The whole reason I'm confused is that it says "Eight Months Ago" a couple hours tops before they meet Impactor. And then again "Eight Months Ago" is used in #4 for when Prowl recruits Ironfist, so did Prowl know about Garrus-9 a full eight months before starting the mission? I mean that's not unlike prowl but it seems unlikely.

6. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    Prowl new about Garrus-9 soon after he was able to reestablished contact with other Autobot outposts, he just didn't know Fort Max was alive. So they were on Magnus's ship for eight months preparing for Garrus-9, since it was not only held by Overlord, so that takes a bit, it was the most heavly fortified and held Decepticon post since the Surge. The comic could have probably portrayed that more but it wasn't overly important for the story.

7. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

There's no way issue #1 can happen across eight months though, there's just no place for a timeskip to fit in. It goes straight from the Wreckers introducing themselves to Magnus calling Springer up to the bridge, setting up Impactor's reveal. Plus Springer says "sometimes your first day is your last" that'd be a pretty weird thing to say more than half a year before your mission starts.

8. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    I'd say issue #1 happens over the course of 8 months, considering they're still repairing Impactor in the next issue, which says it takes place "Now", shortly before Magnus returns to Earth.

9. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I still don't buy it. Not when all the other timeskips are meticulously noted but that one, which I guess could only be on page 14 right when Ironfist blacks out, is left unmarked. It has to be an error or some kind of oversight or something.

10. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    If I remember right, the whole "journey takes eight months" idea was an edict passed down from editorial, who wanted to have a thing where interplanetary travel had become slow and difficult in the aftermath of AHM's Decepticon surge.

As you say, issue #1 clearly wasn't written with that time-skip in mind - I'd guess the eight months captions were added to the issue by editorial after it was already written and drawn.