Last Stand of the Wreckers #4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Apr 20, 2010.

1. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was thinking the other day all that would be left would be Ironfist, Guzzle, Pyro and mayber Verity & they'd be the new Wreckers.

2. KAGE

KAGE cgibsonREX

News Credits:
    I've been saying that for a while now :lol 
    I think they created a solid enough universe to do so now. With how this book is selling I think it would help in the future. I want to see more unknown bots take the spotlight in these comics.

That was a let down, but I wonder how the ending if going to unfold after all this. This issue read like a TV show, a very good read!

3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    That was an amazing issue, I'd just like to say again. I don't know what it was but I went from a skeptic to absolutely enthralled throughout the course of it. Amazing.

4. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Also, re the deterrence chips, I'm sure it's just like a numbers thinning thing - the invasion force would have added to their numbers with inmates already in the prison.

I don't think it'll be used though - I doubt Impactor is going to go out the same way Lindsay Lohan did in Mission Impossible 3.

5. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This issue has a real blast from the post moment, with all the obscure Con cameos in Squadron X. Not to mention a gritty and dark story. I'm more and more worried for the rest of the Wreckers, this seems to be an "Anything goes" story and I'm not even sure now that big names like Kup or even Perceptor are on the "must not kill off" list.

I just noticed, after 4 issues, that there are two writers - I'd be insterested to hear from Roche and Roberts how that works.

Also, do hope we get some good sketches/artwork for the characters who appeared in this story in the TPB, especially for Squadron X. I dunno who else noticed, but Ferak, while his alt mode is almost the same as in the Marvel US comic, bears a resemblance in robot mode to an unnamed Decepticon seeker commander from Marvel UK, who (after the Unicron attack in 2006) ambushed Rodimus Prime and his Bots, not noticing it was a set-up and got killed despite begging for mercy from Prime (in a similar way the OP-Megs battle ended).

Being a beginner kitbasher, I already started thinking on creating some of these guys. I can't help but feel I have seen a head similar to Crosscut on some toy recently, but do not remember... Anyone can help me out? For the body, I think the SW crossover Magna-Guard would be very suitable. As for Ferak, his head is similar to be taken from an UNiverse Cyclonus, while for the whole "flying wing" altmode we can use a Marvel Crossover Iron Man.

For those who don't know who was who in Squadron X:

-Macabre - From Marvel UK (Target 2006), a small-time Con who wanted to make a name for himself by killing Emirate Xaaron. When Megatron ordered the hit cancelled (which was a set-up by the Wreckers anyway), Macabre disobeyed and went ahead anyway, but Impactor took the bullet for Xaaron. The Wreckers then promptly shot Macabre to smithereens. According to the letter columns, he transforms into a cybertronian air glider.

-Ferak - From Marvel US (The Smelting Pool), a seeker hunting empties for fun. Unlucky for him, he did it near where Blaster was waiting for his contact, Scrounge. Blaster broke cover to save the last empty, and he promptly shot down Ferak with his scrambler and then crashed him into a tower. He never transformed into robot mode, the one shown here is based on another obscure and nameless Con from the Marvel UK comics (see above).

-Fang - From Marvel UK (Target 2006), a brute of a Con who walked into Maccadam's old Oil House (which is neutral ground), and started trashing the 'pianist' (a TF that transformed into a piano, no kidding) for playing music he didn't like. Some of the Wreckers were drinking there, and while they argued this was none of their business, Twin Twist got fed up seeing the Con bully the small bot around, and smashed Fang to pieces.

-Earthquake and Tornado - From the very first Marvel UK story, Enemy Within. They were shown on a 'Trial By Combat' recording which Megatron re-watched, when trying to decide how he can get Starscream killed (who resorted to TRial by combat too). One was a traitor, the other a rebel and both requested Trial by Combat to clear their name, however the battle ended with both of them mortally wounding the other. Tornado was lightning fast, while Earthquake could cause tremors by even touching the ground.

-Triton - From a Marvel UK Annual Story, Peace (oddly enough, one of the few UK comics NOT written by Furman). This was a story set in an alternate future, where the Autobots, many years after the 1986 Movie's events (in 2051) have finally won, the last Con has fallen... or so they thought. Triton, who spent these last years undercover as an Autobot, stirred up trouble at Rodimus Prime's speech when he wanted to step down, handing the Matrix to Springer. Triton argued that they need a leader who thinks with his brains, not fists, and advocated Ultra Magnus. This led to some insults, and brawls, leading to SCattershot shooting Roadbuster, and an Autobot civil war to break out. Triton too was killed by Sandstorm, but he died knowing the Autobots won't enjoy they victory.

-Crosscut - A very unlucky and short-lived Con from Budiasnky's Marvel stories (Bridge to nowhere), Crosscut only showed up to die, really. Straxus sent him to test the Space Bridge on, and as it turned out, there was a fuel leak resulting in every test subject to explode. Crosscut, like many Cons in that story, had a quite unusual design for a Transformer.

Most likely that
    Squadron X never broke loose from their restraints - due to some grudge, Impactor murdered them all while they were captured and helpless. I think this much violence ticked even Springer off to report him to high command.

6. KAGE

KAGE cgibsonREX

News Credits:
    I remembered looking them up on the Wiki when the last issue came out and nothing was there. So they are old characters forming a new team, still need to read some oldskool Marvel TF :[

7. James R

James R New Member

Don't tell me - you thought it was just me writing it all along, and you've only now spotted Nick's name? :rolleyes: 

The collaborative thing works by the two of us basically kicking everything back and forth between us for weeks and months on end, having first stabs at scripts or scenes and then amending them in light of suggestions and constructive criticism from the other person. We are each the other one's sounding board, editor and niggling voice of reason.

And well done for spotting the deliberate resemblance between Ferak's robot mode and the unnamed 'Con from UK114. Nick and I decided that in the Marvel TF universe, Ferak used to be one of the members of the team that Rodimus & Co trounced.

On a more general note, I'm so pleased that the series is well-received and that the type of fans for whom it is written - all you guys - are enjoying the ride. Hold tight for issue 5.

8. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the explanation James! :)  It shows that you are each other's editors, as I have yet to find any typos or errors in the 4 issues released so far.

I love the story so far, eagerly awaiting issue #5 - although a bit sad too, since it will be over. (For some reason I kept thinking it was a 6-issue mini). The story has a definite "Dirty Dozen" feel to it, and after #4 I'm convinced anything can happen. Just promise you won't end it by blowing up Garrus-9 and killing everyone, right? ;) 

Congratz to both you and Nick for this comic - I'm an old Marvel fan (32 this year), and reading your comic really takes me back there... You have given obscure and so far, unused characters - in the best "Furman fashion" - new and interesting personalities, turning them into fast fan favourites! Just check for Overlord on Ebay, the same thing is happening to him as what happened to the likes of Bludgeon, Nightbeat or Thunderwing after Furman gave them real character. I hope that after Wreckers, IDW will let you work on many, many more such great comics. I'd love to see you turn, for example, Clench into a real threat next time. (Let's pretend that Megatron Origins never happened and he's still all right...)

9. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    If I had to guess, the
    horrible thing that Impactor did was probably to execute each of the Squad X members after the wreckers and re subdued them

10. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    I was thinking, if they activated the timebomb thingy. won't Shockwave and Grimlock get blasted too? Of course you could say Overlord took the thing out before re-assembling Shockwave's body. But you shouldn't have an out for grimlock, seeing how he didn't have his spark extracted.

Unless of course, he was too far out of range by the time the bomb was activated.

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Yeah....I kinda see that heading into that direction.

Absolutely great series. It's gonna be a long wait for the finale.

12. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

They killed off Jumpstarters?!! Bastards.

I may not dig all the aspects/elements of the story but I dig the overall pace. Very snappy, me likey. Looking forward to the big showdown.

13. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I wonder if the
    Grimlock and Shockwave storylines will be tied off, or at least addressed, in the next issue.

Perhaps they're being left for another miniseries?

14. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Costa already hinted that
    Shockwave would be appearing around issue #10 of the Ongoing if I recall right
    so that might have been a way to get him back into the fray without upsetting previous continuity.

15. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm thinking that last part you mentioned is the case. Seems to me Shockles and Grimmy were long gone by the time anyone else got to the planet. I think they're pretty much out of harms way... for now.

16. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just grabbed this and I absoloutely loved the obscure references in Squadron X - I almost got them all, but I'd forgotten Triton. Major pat on the back to the writers for that awesome fanservice.

This is hands down the best TF comic I've seen since the series was bought back in comic form. Roll on the graphic novel (which I will buy copies of for every comic lovin' friend I have for Christmas this year!)

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'd like to think of this as "If Tarantino did a TF story" Because it is bloody, brutal, and awsome. It sucks that so many TF's have to die but it just makes it so much more interesting and you have real drama.

I know most of the Wreckers, as constituted, are nobodys. Still the Jumpstarters buying it was a shock. And frankly now I'm not ever sure Springer and Kup will survive. (seriously we need some sort of Wreckers Deadpool so we can run odds on who will die next.)

BTW I just moved and one of the first boxes of TF's I opened (full of my cast offs and old weapons too, not the box I was looking for alas) but it had Guzzle! So "Mr. I-Ain't-Overcompensating-For-Shit", is now proudly standing vigil over my cell phone charger.

Also I was 2-weeks late in getting this book since it sold out at my local shop.
    Still worth the wait.

18. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then go Here! - and join the discussion! We at Transfans are anticipating 4 survivors only. My money is on at least one of the new recruits surviving, perhaps the most unlikely one at that (like in 7 samurai).

Also, Transfans' "overlord" Best First has been teasing IDW writers for years about a Spotlight Guzzle and just how important Guzzle is, guess they listened...

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Hmm...Springer, Kup, Ironfist. Those are my guesses as to who lives.

The rest, up in the air.

- Coeloptera

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    In Ironfist's profile, are 'The Wreckers' Lightning Strike' and 'Wreckers at the Pole' nods to the old Ladybird books 'Autobots' Lightning Strike' and 'Decepticons at the Pole'?