Laser Sight Acquired.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kenm2474, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Nope.

Ok, shit like this is why the typical gun owners looks like a crazy psychopath to so many non-gun owners. Also, the over the top home invasion fantasies where an international team of all-star terrorists are flanking you to get your wife and daughter add to this conception of craziness. Kinda wish gun fans would stop talking like this, its kinda cliche and makes my eyes roll anytime I even see something like a laser sight or some other enthusiast accessory.

That said, if I still played with my airsoft stuff that sight would be pretty cool.

2. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I'm not gonna get too drawn into this, but you honestly sound like so many people I've met who are just...well...afraid of firearms in and of themselves. They're just objects. They're inanimate. It's funny, but firearms were much, much bigger in American culture just a few decades ago. Kids would get actual firearms as presents. I know, what a nightmare, right?

Oh and as for your nonsensical fantasy about "all-star terrorists", try the following instead.

Someone breaks into your home while you and/or your family are there.

Do you really think that never happens? The term "home invasion" exists for a reason.

That's it. There are lots of ways to defend yourself. Anything anyone has ever done to learn any sort of self-defense applies. Firearms in the hands of a trained user are simply the most efficient method of it with the lowest risk to the defender. Given the choice, I would much rather rely on that than a melee weapon or my hands.

You know, I never expect to get into an horrific car accident. But I wear my seatbelt. I never expect to have my home invaded while I am present...but there we are. It'll probably never happen...then again...here in Vegas: YouTube - Attempted Armed Robery.VOB

- Coeloptera

3. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Guns don't kill people. People with guns kills people.

I'm sorry, but I do not share this gun-nut culture you Americans take part in with a level of enthusiasm that, quite frankly, is scary.

4. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To those who are "creeped out" about pictures of guns or law-abiding citizens who legally own guns, and think gun owners are afraid of home invasions for no reason, read what I have to say:

I have had two attempted break-ins in the middle of the night. And I've been robbed at gun point. And just a month ago, there was a murder a few blocks away where I used to live. And it was a very nice "safe" neighborhood too. So, welcome to the real world. It happens.

Imagine a meth-head kicking your door at 3 am. Happened to a friend on mine. So yeah, there's a very valid reason for owning a gun.

Imagine someone prying open your window in the middle of the night. And you have nothing to defend your life or your loved ones with. Bet you will wish you had one of those "creepy" guns then. Imagine calling 9-1-1 Emergency, and the dispatcher is asking you million questions you can't answer like "what is he wearing?", "What vehicle did he come in?", "where is he now?", "Does he have a partner?" "If so, where is he at?", "Can you give us a description?"

Gee, let me go over there and take a look as I am un-armed and defenseless.

Imagine calling the police and they take half an hour to show up. Or they don't show up at all. Happened to me, and other people I know.

The fact is, the police are NOT obligated to come busting in and save your life. They're going to wait outside and ask the bad man to come out. But they'll definitely call the coronor to haul your dead body away after the bad guy was done with you.

Guns are tools. They are neither good or evil. It's the user of the gun that is either good or evil. Society is trying to brainwash people into thinking guns are bad. People are bad. And people are good. Guns are just objects.

Imagine having a gun pointed at you by a thug robber because you had no means of self protection. It happens. And those guys don't care if guns are illegal or not. It's called the black market.

I had a friend who not only saved herself, but her friend as well from a guy who tried to assault her. Once he saw her gun drawn, he gave up and fled.

Exactly. Better to have it and never have to use it, than to not have it and wish you did when you needed one.

Me too. I love target shooting at the range and open areas. And cleaning it and so forth. It's also challenging and takes skill, which I like as well.

To own a gun is means responsibilities. Follow the procedures and don't screw around with them and you're fine. Don't fear guns, learn about them before condemning them. Talk to gun owners about them, and no they are not crazy people. It's Hollywood and gangs that give guns a bad image. It's what the media wants you to think, but instead of being ignorant, find out for yourself and don't let yourself be brainwashed by gun-haters who have no idea what they're talking about.

The one I have holds 14 rounds of 45acp. Another holds 17 rounds of 9mm. They're pretty awesome. No, I may never have another break-in, and I'm not afraid if I do or not. I have 14 little friends ready to back me up in a worst-case scenario.

5. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Maybe we should send the point of guns being evil and all that business to private messages?

Chuck

6. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

Being English, I've recently gotten hold of the latest in Laser sights for our ultimate defense weapon.

[​IMG]

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You make it sound like you're planning/hoping on that happening. I'm not saying it doesn't, but PLANNING on it is outright paranoid.

Shotgun goes cha-CHUNK. Intimidated. Game over. Goofy little light never needed to even be turned on.

Maybe we should keep gun talk to PMs in the first place? You talk about one, you get the other.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

The problem with this line of thought is that no one posts threads bragging about their new purchase of a hammer or socket wrench. It isn't the having the gun that is the concern, it is the mindset of having the need to brag about it and show it off to everyone like it's a Transformer that is a concern. People who do that are most likely the same type of people that like to show off their guns whenever guests go into their homes. I had a buddy once who would always pull his out for show and tell. Freaked me the fucked out every time too.

I have guns, and they're armed and ready. In fact, I was recently told of an home invasion in the area where the home owner was killed. So right now i am kinda paranoid. Regardless, I'm not gonna snap some quick photos, post them, and say "look how awesome I am." They are tools to me like a hammer or socket wrench, not bragging objects.

9. Cavshock

You are correct. Just like when someone starts a thread about rap music a million and a half people will post about how rap sucks instead of leaving the thread to those who actually enjoy rap. Thats the way the internet is.
    Just tossing out a suggestion in hopes that the thread doesn't get political.

Chuck

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    This has got to be THE most sensical post I have ever seen in my life concerning guns. Thank you oh so much for that.
    And this has got to be THE most hilarious thing I've seen in my life concerning the English and guns. Thank YOU for that. :lol 
    I dunno man. From what your describing, the place you live or you used to live doesn't sound safe at all. What is your definition of "safe?" :lol 

11. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    ... I'm one of this paranoid anti-gun people...

But I have to admit that gun looks cooler with the laser sight now... :3

12. Gigatron_2005

Alright. First off, I am afraid of any inanimate object that can hurt me. I am afraid of a table saw too. The difference is that people who own and use table saws dont spend so much time obsessing over how they are glad to have their table saw while spending time and money on a table saw collection with all sorts of different makes of table saws complete with table saw accessories. Gun people are kinda like that.

And if somebody breaks into my home, we are hosed already. No matter how much stuff you have to protect yourself, its not going to do any good if somebody surprises you and you dont have time to react. But hey, maybe you're always at the ready, but that is kinda paranoid.

I know a guy who used to live in a bad area. He kept a disabled/broken/whatever shotgun around. Whenever somebody came pounding at his door at a unnatural time, he simply picked it up and made it make that loud shotgun clicking noise. Usually it was just some drunk trying to get into the wrong apartment, but there were a few times where he think he scared somebody away. Point is, I see the usefulness of these things for protection. My family used to always have a gun around when they lived in a very rural area, and Im sure it saved them and their property more than once (this was back in the days where as you say, nearly everyone had one). Now this is where the distinction comes in: they were not weird about it. They just had it as something that was there; a tool if it was required, no big deal. Gun owners today often like to talk about these elaborate home invasion stories, and show off all their new pieces and accessories. It obviously shows that this is something that they have given great thought about, and its just kinda creepy.

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Either you're using the wrong word or you have issues. Respecting and being cautious around an inanimate object with the potential to harm you is different from being afraid of it.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I own a gun, and you know why? Because in this crazy world, I am not taking any chances. Know what they say: "Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."

Plus, whether or not there will be a zombie apocalypse, I am not taking any chances with that either. But seriously, there are enough maniacs in this world with them, don't you want something that can protect you from them?

15. Gigatron_2005

Yea in you're context, I am using the wrong word. Its more of a being cautious thing.

16. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    A lot of things can harm you. As Sledge said, you have to respect it, use it properly, and you won't have any issues.

"Some parent, I don't care which one, but some parent, needs to teach that child to fear and respect that escalator!"

17. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

What does being American have to do with anything in discussion here?

18. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Well...at the risk of starting another internetz blow-up and going all Michael Moore on folks: it would seem a reasonable amount.

America is certainly not the only country in the world with a sizeable percentile of the population owning both legal and illegal firearms. However, from an outsiders point of view, you guys do seem to have a cultural tendency to enjoy both celebrating the ownership of these weapons and shooting each other with them.

With apologies for any innacuracy, as I understand it the US currently averages around 30,000 deaths from firearms per year. That seems an awful lot for such an advanced nation.(Here in the UK in 2008 we had 42. Perhaps we're all beating each other to death with those laser-sighted Cricket bats!)

Obviously this is all caught up with crime statistics for the US, and both the attitude and nature of the criminals involved :which I'm also kinda appalled by. How does a country of such nice polite people, produce such horror-stories as well?

19. Cavshock

I knew there was something wrong with that Cricket game....

Chuck

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This is an excellent point. How do you keep deadly weapons at the ready when you have kids running around? How can you be ready at every second for the "home invasion" that you seem so keen on stopping? If somebody kicks in your door and intends to kill you and the family I doubt they will give you time to go unlock the gun cabinet and prepare.

Do you keep guns in the bathroom too?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.