Lack of Decepticons in the movie line.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Calabask, May 21, 2014.

1. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Why the lack of Decepticons? It seems like through the entire line for the US, the most we're getting is... Two. Lockdown, and Galvatron. That's it. And according to rumor, the Helicopter is not
    Cyclonus.
    but is actually
    Drift.
    . What gives? I mean, hell, we used to get Decepticons in reduced numbers, but this is beyond reduced. Two molds? Maybe three? And like twenty something autobots? What the hell.

This is the listing mentioned for the third figure. Beware the link as spoilers may be lurking in there.

http://tformers.com/transformers-4-...ion-upcoming-figures-revealed/23454/news.html

2. Elrodthealbino

Elrodthealbino Nerd Alert!

Huh. Didn't even notice. It is like japan circa 1991.

3. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon Garbage Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I'm sure Stinger will come eventually. New Bumblebee's car shouldn't be hard to remold since he's basically a shellformer.

Plus, if we're lucky, we could possibly get some Vehicons! Then we could troop-build the hell out of them.

4. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I was going to say, based on what little evidence we have, the Decepticons in this movie will be supplemented with a lot of disposable drones, a la Transformers Prime.

Of course, there's also the action figure maxim about heroes selling better than villains.

5. skynet1O1

skynet1O1 Well-Known Member

Ya that's why I'm losing interest in this movie fast.

6. Mixmaster

Mixmaster [Excited quacking]

News Credits:
    DotM started this recent trend in the movie lines. The number of 'con toys was way down from what we had in RotF.

7. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

Yeah. Given what we've seen so far, I'm agreeing with the prediction of a lot of nameless, faceless, generic Decepticon drones.

I mean, how many major 'con characters did DotM have? Probably in the single digits. There were tons of 'cons from the moon, but they were by and large unnamed and not represented as toys.

With any luck, AoE will have a bunch of identical-looking drones rather than tons of unique designs so we can at least grab a bunch of generics to pad out the Decepticon forces.

Might also tie in with the idea of man-made transformers. Whatever group is making them wouldn't bother with individual designs, but rather one mass-produced template.

8. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Well, the primary reason for this is that there are going to be very few Decepticons in the film, by all appearances. In fact, by the sounds of it there may not be any at all, with Lockdown and the human-made robots just getting 'Con symbols slapped on their toys for marketing purposes.

9. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

This is a joke, seems like bad guys always get the short end of the stick.

10. Calabask

News Credits:
    I honestly don't get why people say superheroes sell better than villains. I think that's some major bullshit there. I never see Decepticons shelfwarming unless it's a sucky mold.

11. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

Heroes supposedly sell better but yeah, I never see the really antihero / villainous characters shelfwarming, other than one or two things like Blitzwing. But I would argue for this line it's less because there's a bias against the Decepticons and more because the Dinobots automatically are listed as Autobots. So as a result, since the Dinobots dominate the line, Autobots do too.

Now, we are still expecting Stinger, and we don't know about Drift and the Dinobots' true allegiances, but there's also Junkheap, the various Trax (Vehicons, we hope), and the other specials rolling with Galvatron and Stinger. So it may just be that they're underrepresented in toy form.

12. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This...there will be LOTS of cannon fodder I think. Unnamed robot guys that get slaughtered in the blink of an eye.

13. Calabask

News Credits:
    I don't care much for if there's a million drones in the movie. The problem is we're barely getting any Decepticons and possibly drones in /toy form./ Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd prefer to see less drones and more Decepticons with personality. I miss the days of the G1 Cartoon. >_<

14. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    This.
    In my experience, toys that have been rare included Vehicons, Prime Knock Out, DOTM Shockwave, and Airachnid(!!!). Lockdown will probably be hard to get, too. At the moment I can't think of any Autobots who were rare like them, off-hand. Maybe some late-wave Generations stuff.

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I'm wondering how the apparent lack of Cons will play out in the movie itself. The Autobots got a healthy team of badasses AND giant firebreathing dinosaurs against... generics (boring), humans (because we need more of them), ships (meh), a truck robot (yawn), and Gun-face (who's admittedly cool, but still not much of a counter against the Bots).
    Not to mention the variety has gone way down. Gone are the toasters, mine-clearing vehicles, ginormous excavators, soda machines, or even the simple tanks; gone also are the kooky pogo-sticks, gyroscopic unicycle whatsits, four-arms goblins, paper-thin marble-gestalts, cyclops cats, and glasses-wearing crabs.

16. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Probably because villains aren't released in the same numbers as heroes.

Let's say you have an even-split Deluxe case. Pulling characters out of my ass, we'll go with Bumblebee, Slug, Lockdown, and Strafe. (I know that's not an actual case makeup right now, but this is for example purposes.) So, you have a 3-to-1 Autobot-to-Decepticon ratio. Regardless of it being two of each character in the case, you still have a case of six Autobot figures and two Decepticon figures. Your odds of finding an Autobot are higher than your odds of finding a Decepticon.

Couple this with the fact that, with media tie-in lines, there will be waves where there's not even one villain included, and you can see why villains don't linger as long on shelves.

I'm not necessarily saying that the 'heroes sell better than villains' reasoning makes total sense, or is even something that can be tracked and proven. But it's long been stated to be one of the driving points for action figure lines, at least in the wide-release, big box retailer lines.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Because the Autobots suck that's why.

Decepticons forever.

18. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm fine with it because the Autobots are always the heroes

19. Calabask

News Credits:
    RoTF Ransack was awesome for the variety, hell RoTF's line was all sorts of awesome, lots of variety there that is sorely missed. Even the Real Gears from the original are pretty cool, and I lament the fact I didn't realize this till they were all gone. Hopefully we'll get more stuff soon. I really want a pogo-stick or unicycle transformer now.

Damn. Straight.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

... Are there even Decepticons in this movie?