Kreo compatible with lego?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, May 9, 2014.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone know if they are?

Not too keen on Kreo, but still kind of curious.

2. Retrograde

Retrograde Well-Known Member

It is compatable with Lego. I think all not-Lego is compatable as Lego lost the legal right to be the only ones making that type of block.

3. Grandum

News Credits:
    Ok, thank you for the information

4. Grandum

News Credits:
    I had a look on ebay just for funzies, and oh...my...god...they have even KO'd Kre-o, sheesh, is there nothing they won't KO?

5. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At the flea market I go to, there are cases literally overflowing with KO ninjago sets. I took some pics of them and sent them to my buddie, his son and him are into Lego. He said all the pics I sent a SUPER htf kits, that sell for big bucks on eBay.

He replied "how much are those?"

I said "he wants $10 a set..but I bet I could get a better deal if you bought more"

"$100. Get me 5 mech suit ones and the ones with skeletons" or something

I got him 15 sets for $100. When I gave them to him, he said those kits new, were $30 and $60 each, now they sell on eBay for $150+

The boxes look GOOD...but nowhere did they say "lego".

As for kreo...yes, from my experience they are 100% compatible. My son has a ton of kreo, and Lego. You WILL find, if your used to Lego, that kreo is a little shittier in quality. It's NOT BAD..but where every Lego piece is perfect, sometimes you get a kreo piece that just does not lock like it should.

That said, I buy my son Lego sometimes, but I HATE the price of them. I know they are licenced...I know they are all "perfect quality.." WTF ever...they are so expensive its nuts.

Recently we've bought some cod megablocks. Now THOSE are the best sets if you ask me. We got the cod tank, and I loved the instructions, the quality, and the figures and incredible. So I went out and bought all the WWII sets, and a shitload of infantry for an Omaha beach dio.

Lego is good..I feel megablocks is the best for the money, and kreo is the best BUDGET block out there. If your just getting into kreo, look at Marshalls and TJmaxx. They have them cheap now. Ollies has the big Devestator set for $30

When kreo 1st hit, they clearanced FAST. I ended up filling an entire plastic tote with building blocks for my son, all TF kreo, for under $50. At kmart I got the big op set for $7. I bought 4, and all the other kits were literally pennies on the dollar.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Those made in Korea Military ones are fun as some of the designs were supposedly used by Hasbro for their Kreo Battleships design - so they are sort of pre-Kreo in the way Diaclone is Pre-Transformers. I'm sure Lego Brick ./ Building fans know more about it than I do though.

Ideal if you want to make tanks and boats such or just wanted to make a KO star Destroyer out of some grey bricks..

7. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    100% compatible. My son dumped his Kreo Transformer sets in with his leg stuff. Once the sets were inevitably broken down, you can't even differentiate the blocks without a magnifying glass.

8. wheelman

wheelman Well-Known Member

Mega Bloks and Kre-O are 100% Compatable with LEGO.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually Oxford toys still makes new brick sets every year. You can find pic galleries of their 2014 offerings. They had city, military, medieval europe, medieval Korea themes. And some kind of licensed Korean Gundam like thing.

10. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Actually, I will correct these findings: Kre-O and Lego are 99% compatible.

The 1% is that Kreon helmets are a bit tight on Lego Minifigure heads. It's not as much of a problem with open-faced helmets (Starscream, for example), where you can sort-of friction-grip the Minifigure's head with your fingers, but closed-in helmets, like Optimus Prime or Soundwave, can be really difficult to pull off of a Minifigure head, especially without scraping the face paint.

11. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Are you sure Lego even had this legal right? They didn't even invent those bricks to begin with, they stole them from Kiddicraft.

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Lego had patents on their style of brick from 1958. But probably only in Denmark. They bought Kiddiecraft's rights before going after Tyco for making for making kiddiecraft style plastic brick sets in 1981. However the fact that they stole the initial design might be why they've always failed when trying to use IP infringement suits to push competitors out of the market. Although it's probably more due to the fact that patents only last 20 years. And Lego has only once successfully argued that their system is a copyright not a patent (and that was in China).

13. dinorobo

dinorobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually there is a pretty easy way to differentiate a kreo brick from a lego brick - a kreo brick always seems to have one peg that isn't a solid cylinder, but is instead doughnut shaped with a hold in the middle.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oxford do Kreo as well, it looks like they produce stuff for Hasbro. In early packs of the Kreon Microchangers Oxfords name is on the pack as well.

15. Grandum

News Credits:
    Yeah, I recently looked at some lego auctions on ebay for William, my girlfriends half brother (27 year difference) which is when I saw the kre-o stuff and thought "hey wait a minute...I wonder if..." it IS damn pricey though. the big lots - 10 lb and above seem to be a bit cheaper, but then you don't always get the instructions and minifigures and whatnot.

I saw this one auction for 80 lb worth of lego for less than my TFC herc...that could make 'lil William REALLY happy for quite a while, not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but still. The second hand value of loose lego does seem a bit more reasonable however.

16. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Any of you try Tenkai Knights? I got some for my little boy one day and he loved them. They're pretty much Lego blocks that transform, then you can put armor and weapons on them. So you can build stuff with them, using the weapons and armor in a bunch of different ways...
    If you haven't seen them look for them next time you're at the store :) 

17. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As everyone has pointed out, the bricks and accessories are fully compatible...just keep in mind that the kreon minifigs can only swap heads with Lego minifigs. The arms and legs use different interfaces. Also, regarding the comment about kreon helmets...they often get jammed stuck on the actual kreon heads, too.

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, in fact some of the boxes say there compatible with major competitor products, or something like that.