KRE-O Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transfan681, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  2. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    More of the Class Of box sets (at least an 86 and 87), or otherwise themed box sets would have been nice, even with simpler/less costly packaging as store or Pulse exclusives. That, or really just more waves of Microchangers. Perfect things with which to populate the Titans and even the Modulators.

This is a great format to release these characters in, even with the reused/repurposed shared helmets and parts; I mind the accuracy problems a bit less when I see them all together looking like a cohesive line. Of the many side lines that have come and gone, Kre-O is the one I miss the most, I think (loved Bot Shots for some reason when it was new, but I enjoyed thee much more).

3. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    These look great. I have a bunch of unfinished customs that have been put away for a bit. Still want to finish them; also planning to use @x01618’s decals.
    Did you print them on water slide/transfer decal paper? Or transparent and/or white sticker paper?

• Like Like x 1
  4. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

Thanks, I have loads more half-finished customs that need repainted helmets etc, I used white decal paper and printed them all on one side of A4. The colours match up well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    Thanks. I’ll try to get on mine soon. Want to get them all finally finished up!

Would love to see pics of your others soon, when you get them done. And, I think I can speak for all frequenters of this thread, we’d like to see more pics of the ones you’ve already completed! Showcase those up so we can get a better look at them!

6. Maikeruu

Maikeruu Shadowtraveler

The mail was good to me today. Finally got Rotor Rage for the unique Vortex and parts and an order of twenty-one Prime Vehicons for massive army building. Still building in 2020.

7. Isaac Hill

Isaac Hill Systems Analyst

So...Does anyone know of a kit that comes with around 50 black, cylindrical 2x2 bricks?
    TarnFront.JPG
    I had just enough to do the treads for half of one shoulder. Here's how that looks from the side.
    TarnSide.JPG
    I might make the backpack bigger. I'll know for sure once I've replaced the green and purple cylinders with black.
    TarnBack.JPG
    He's 12" tall to the tips of his cannons, 11.5" to the tips of his crown. Here he is with Devastator for scale.
    TarnScale.JPG
    He has Kre-O ball jointed ankles, hips, and shoulders. Knees are hinged. Elbows are ratchets. He's got waist and neck swivels, and each finger (3 per hand) has a joint. Given his weight, he's pretty hard to pose.
    TarnPose.JPG

I've got Kreons and other figures in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  8. Isaac Hill

During Kre-O's heyday, TRU had the Devastator with Ironhide set on sale for less than the Dev without Ironhide. I built the 4 Constructicons in each mode and liked them, but never bothered to go through the hassle of disassembling Devastator to rebuild them.

Then, the Devastator without Ironhide set went on clearance. I bought that so I could have one sett for Dev and one for the Constructicons. And I got both Dev Kreons. It wasn't until now that I realized I also have a spare Devastator head. I didn't have the right lime green parts to do a G1 version, but I did have the yellow for G2.
    G2Dev_front.JPG

Here's some side, back, and top views to show how I incorporated details of the individual Constructicons. I'm particularly proud of using a sideways seat to make Bonecrusher's roof, especially since Bonecrusher mounts to Dev sideways, making the seat right side up.
    G2Dev_left.JPG G2Dev_back.JPG G2Dev_right.JPG G2Dev_top.JPG
    He's got hinged knees, ratcheted elbows, a waist swivel, and Kre-O ball joints in his shoulders, hips, and head. Here he is with the original Kre-O Devastator.
    G2Dev_orig.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  9. Isaac Hill

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Laserhead4

Laserhead4 Master Builder and Filmmaker

YouTube:
  11. Maikeruu

Maikeruu Shadowtraveler

Got to be the Beast with those wings and elongated jaw.

12. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

Clearing shelves and decided to get a pic of all the combiners together.
    20201022_202226.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Isaac Hill

Yeah, that's the Beast.

I made Omega Supreme. He looks good, but the joints aren't strong enough to do much posing. The knees and ankles are each a pair of Technic pegs, so he topples over a bit. The elbows are single rachets connected to a rotating joint on both the upper arm and forearm. That gives him great elbow articulation, but he can't hold anything. I tried to pose him holding a small Decepticon aloft. The fingers held OK, but the elbow flopped over, and the change in balance made his legs give out, and he fell backwards off the table. I put him back together, then gave up on more photos.
    omegaFront.JPG
    omegaBack.JPG
    I'm missing a few white pieces for the track. The grey part of the backpack should be bigger to match the original, but he topples enough as it is.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Isaac Hill

Behold the glory of G1 Jetfire!
    JetfireFront.JPG
    All the newer toys I've seen have the wings sticking out for a seeker-esque silhouette. I prefer having the wings fold away, like the G1 toy.

JetfireSide.JPG
    Those stickers do not want to come off. The antennae are LEGO minifig wrenches.

I built a stand because he's rather back heavy. He doesn't topple like Omega Supreme, but the Kre-O hips tend to lean back, which could warp them over time. Here's a rear view without the stand.
    JetfireBack.JPG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  15. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy aka BrickBotGuy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Gonna revive this thread by posting some of my customs if y'all don't mind.

Starting off with one of the first Microchanger sets I got, it's the Combaticons! As with all of my combiners, I'm making separate robot and combiner builds (and vehicle builds in some cases so stay tuned for those!). Of these guys in particular, Swindle received the least amount of changes while Blastoff got the most as I hated the weird greenish-brown they made him. Still need to either find or paint a better helmet for him.

[​IMG]

Next up is the Stunticons! (Plus Offroad.) It's a little hard to see, but I purposely put and absurd number of wheel parts on Menasor- in addition to all the ones on his limbs, he's got a bunch on his purple foot parts, giving him roller skates.

[​IMG]

Now those combiners are fun and all, but they're mostly modified from existing Kreons. What about a team that DIDN'T get a full set? So here's my mostly-from-scratch Breastforce! Only Jarugar got a proper release, so I had to piece together the rest of them. They honestly turned out a lot better than I would have expected, though Liokaiser unfortunately lacks his signature lion helmet.

[​IMG]

Okay, enough combiners. Heck, enough G1. Allow me to show some love to my personal favorite series, Animated! I was pretty annoyed that they only did a handful of TFA bots, and even then Lugnut wasn't very accurate. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out! Haven't attempted a Starscream yet, and the times I've tried to make a Blackarachnia turned out poorly.

[​IMG]

Aaaaand back to G1. Sorta. Here's a small number of movie-original bots in retro- G1 style. We have Nitro Zeus, Shatter, Dropkick, 'Redwing' (aka Bumblebee movie Blitzwing) and a revamped Barricade that better resembles his Siege/Earthrise counterpart.

[​IMG]

Much like most TF toylines we're back at G1, this time with some late 80's Master-gimmick guys. We've got the Headmaster trio of Mindwipe (who is unchanged but just here for the lineup), Weirdwolf, Skullcruncher, Darkwing and Dreadwind. Darkwing was definitely based on someone else's custom, but I have absolutely no idea whose.

[​IMG]

And lastly (for now) here's some other assorted Decepticons- Battletrap, Smolder, Chopster, Slicer and toy accurate Beast Hunters Ripclaw.

[​IMG]

Before anyone asks- yes, Smolder and Chopster can do the thing!

[​IMG]

That's it for now, but I've got plenty more in store. And some of them aren't even Decepticons! Just most of them. If anyone has any questions about what parts I used feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

• Like Like x 11
  16. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    Nice! I always appreciate some Kreo-love. These are some fun, creative mash-ups!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ysbal

Ysbal Kre-o hoarder

News Credits:
    Those are great! There's always a need for more Kre-o goodness.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fanbase0000

fanbase0000 Well-Known Member

I just reorganized my Kre-o collection.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  19. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bugs
    0947084F-4DDD-4C33-8E19-A0F8257A6061.jpeg 42C4B9DF-B74D-4464-8461-AC68D5D7F5FE.jpeg F9267359-67D3-49A2-A0DC-770F9C788F50.jpeg DB324730-F78C-4E04-A61B-B2FCE378423E.jpeg 0110211C-5F63-4496-9FF0-8BFA054B56D4.jpeg C8D35E35-769E-4FD6-AB1A-945FBAFF7F76.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  20. Ysbal

Ysbal Kre-o hoarder

News Credits:
    I've always had a soft spot for the insecticons. Great collection.

• Like Like x 3